Pelikan M1000 - F With Kwz #5 Blue: Safe Combination?

Thymen

I just acquired a Pelikan M1000 with an F nib, that I inked with Pelikan 4001 Königsblau (Royal Blue). It is a good combination, the pen is quite a wet writer, the ink rather dry so it yields a proper linewidth on my preferred paper. But.... Pelikan 4001 Königsblau is not the most exciting ink imo.

I tried Iroshizuko Tsuki-Yo, which I find nicer, but that is a wet ink and it shows: line width increased too much to my taste. Next, Waterman Mysterious Blue. Good line width, but again, not the kind of colour that really impresses me.

Together with the pen, I bought a bottle of KWZ #5 Blue, the iron-gallish type. I like that colour, have it in another pen with an F nib now. But I am a but worried to use this ink as the go-to ink for the M1000. I know it's only slightly acidic, not too much irongall in it.... but still.

This is my first Pelikan, and my first bottle of KWZ ink. Waddayathink... should I let these get together, or not?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thymen

• dhanks

• The Good Captain

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4001 Royal Blue is classed as 'boring' by a lot of people but it has stood by many more thousands of people over the years. So what does it matter if it doesn't sheen, sparkle or whatever etc?

It's the words that count...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Some will say I'm overly cautious but I don't use any iron gal inks with two tone nibs. I doubt it would strip it but I fear discolouration. I'm also a bit of a worrier about sediment in iron gal inks so those I do use I always thoroughly check before filling the pen. I've only ever had samples of KWZ iron gal but haven't noted any problems.

Hi Thymen. I own a M1005 f. the 4001 BB puts down a saturated and sheeny line. Not wide at all.

You can also try The Kyo no oto and Kyo iro inks and even the fumisome line, all from TAG stationery. These are super shader dry inks.

Edited by nibtip

I've been using 4001 Blue-Black in a M405 two-tone nibe continuously since I bought it nearly ten years ago, with no problems whatsoever. Great ink.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I am going to order some Pelikan BlueBlack, which I understand has a tiny amount of iron gall.

I asked about the KWZ, because I have it available here now. I like it's colour, and (I hope) it is a somewhat dryish ink. In my pen currently inked with it, it seems it is.

Pelikan has this ink only in small 30 ml bottles. Big enough for the huge M1000 nib?

KWZ inks were developed to be very safe and have excellent reputation. As far as the IG goes, Pelikan's 4001 Blue-Black contains iron gall as well and is quite acidic.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I am going to order some Pelikan BlueBlack, which I understand has a tiny amount of iron gall.

I asked about the KWZ, because I have it available here now. I like it's colour, and (I hope) it is a somewhat dryish ink. In my pen currently inked with it, it seems it is.

Pelikan has this ink only in small 30 ml bottles. Big enough for the huge M1000 nib?

You can order a 62.5 ml bottle of Pelikan Blue-Black from Amazon, at a good price. It will work fine with the M1000 nib.

Rumpole

It took a while, because most shops are selling the Pelikan 30 ml bottles now. Amazon prices are way too high or products not available.

Finally found a B&M pen shop in NL that sells 62.5 ml bottles at regular price. Ordered 2 bottles of Blau-Schwartz, and another Königsblau.

It took a while, because most shops are selling the Pelikan 30 ml bottles now. Amazon prices are way too high or products not available.

Finally found a B&M pen shop in NL that sells 62.5 ml bottles at regular price. Ordered 2 bottles of Blau-Schwartz, and another Königsblau.

Very good. Please let us know how the Pelikan 4001 inks perform in your M1000, particularly the blue-black. Enjoy!

Rumpole

That will keep me busy for a while.. I'll try the blue-black when the current Royal Blue filling has finished...

BlauSchwartz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Personnally, I would use MB royal blue in the Pelikan but neither would I use the Blu Schwarz and the Königsblau.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Very good. Please let us know how the Pelikan 4001 inks perform in your M1000, particularly the blue-black. Enjoy!

Rumpole

When I started out with the Königsblau (I already had a bottle of this one) it was with mixed feelings. It writes nicely, although it gives a little extra feedback to the nib, but the colour on paper is a bit washed-out pale. Hence purchasing some blue-black.

The latter is even a bit more feedbacky, and the colour is also not so very pronounced.

However: as with all things, it takes some getting used to. In the past two weeks I tried the Pelikan with some other inks: Waterman Mysterious Blue, Iroshizuko Asa Gao, and Tsuki-Yo. But somehow I find the blue-black fitting this pen.It is a non-obtrusive, classic colour, and once I got used to it, I started to enjoy it.

I have other pens to fill with other inks, the M1000 will probably remain inked with BB.

When I started out with the Königsblau (I already had a bottle of this one) it was with mixed feelings. It writes nicely, although it gives a little extra feedback to the nib, but the colour on paper is a bit washed-out pale. Hence purchasing some blue-black.

The latter is even a bit more feedbacky, and the colour is also not so very pronounced.

However: as with all things, it takes some getting used to. In the past two weeks I tried the Pelikan with some other inks: Waterman Mysterious Blue, Iroshizuko Asa Gao, and Tsuki-Yo. But somehow I find the blue-black fitting this pen.It is a non-obtrusive, classic colour, and once I got used to it, I started to enjoy it.

I have other pens to fill with other inks, the M1000 will probably remain inked with BB.

I have found that the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black should be shaken before filling the pen. The color always seems to me to be vivid and saturated that way. It may be my imagination but that's what I do.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. As I probably mentioned, it's my favorite, especially for my Pelikans (wet writers).

Rumpole

Edited by dhanks

I know that you only just bought the 4001s but, if you are finding the colour of 4001 Blue-Black to be a bit pale, I suggest that you try Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite in your M1000. The ink is not cheap, but most people on here seem to think it’s a very good one.

It is reputed to be more-lubricating than the 4001s, and its blue-black colour is deep and intense.
Some people find that they get ‘sheen’ from it (although that would of course depend on what paper you are using).

Here is a link to namrehsnoom’s splendid review of it.

Here is a link to stefanv’s comparison of Tanzanite to Blau-Schwarz on FPN, and here is his link to his extensive comparison of the two Pelikan blue-black inks on his own website.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Thanks Mercian for pointing me out to these reviews. Very good read!

Two different reviewers, different preferences. I do not have the Tanzanite available, but when I compare the colours they are almost the same to my eyes. And although the 4001 blue-black gives a somewhat 'dry' writing experience, it is most obvious when frequently switching pens. For instance, my Montblanc 146 inked with Waterman Serenity Blue does not give any drag at all. Switching between the Pelikan M1000 and this Montblanc requires some getting used to each pen.

Maybe one day I'll get some Tanzanite, but with two 62.5 ml bottles of Blue-Black already in my cabinet that will not be soon.

I gave this thread the title: "Pelikan M1000 - F With Kwz #5 Blue: Safe Combination?". I bought that KWZ because I wanted a blue(ish) ink that has better water-resistance. But I do not want any troubles with my new still in warranty M1000.

The 4001 BlueBlack should not give me warranty issues. And it's water resistance is really great. I wrote a page on Rhodia, put it in the bath-tub and sprayed it with water for several minutes until the paper nearly fell apart. Let it dry on a towel. Of the writing the colour has turned to blue-gray, but readability is almost the same as when I just had written it.

An ink cannot be tuned, like a pen can. It either works for you or it doesn't. And the 4001 Blue-Black, I am sure, will eventually become one of my staple inks.