Conid News - Update

Karmachanic

1 hour ago, SpecTP said:

I've had very good experience with Conid's Ti Bock #8 nib on my Kingsize bulkfiller with CAISO. I really liked the performance. Unfortunately, I damaged it and I opted to replace it with a gold nib. The gold nib doesn't have the same snap back feel of the Ti nib. It's decent, but if I were to do it again, I'd have ordered another Ti nib.

I agree with you. My first Conid was an Ebonite Kingsize and I ordered it with the Gold nib. It was so hard and stiff that I really hated it, so much so that I just dropped it in a drawer and thought about selling it. I later ordered a nib unit in Titanium and discovered a love for the pen that I thought I would never have. Since then all my Conids have worn Titanium.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• es9

• fountainbel

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

As what concerns the CAISO, Conid recently decided to stop offering this system, please find below the reason behind this decision.

Best regards,

Francis

CAISO or Standard Bulkfiller ?

Given some users complained about leakage/ blotting problems when  forgetting  to close the filling knob prior to air travel we designed the Caiso system.
Although the CAISO system works perfectly and looks comfortable at first sight - eliminating the need the close the  filling knob prior to air travel - its design includes a serious drawback…
When removing the cap for writing under different air pressure and/or temperature situations ,the main ink chamber becomes directly connected with front ink chamber and the - small or large- air bubble in the main chamber can expand pushing the ink out, leading the leakage and blotting
The normal Bulkfiller system proved to be very efficient to avoid any leakage/blotting problems, at least when used properly.
One should close the filling knob holding the pen "nib down”, so the front ink chamber ifs completely filled with ink. 
Doing so the main ink chamber is fully closed off and the air bubble in the main chamber can not expand when writing under different air pressure and temperature situations, hence the pen will not leak/blot at all.
The front ink chamber having an ink content  of 0.6 ml, one can easily  write several pages without the need to refill from the main ink chamber.
Given the above mentioned arguments Conid recently decided to stop offering the CAISO system, our actual simpler Bulkfiller design being superior. 

Always figured the standard bulkfiller system was excellent for travel! Never had an issue with it! 

On 10/26/2022 at 2:35 AM, vulpes velox said:

Only titanium nibs are available for the latest Conids being sold through Penworld 🤨

And the nibs add €235 to the cost of the pen! 

That was yesterday. When I look now, the pens appear to be (once more?) out of stock. Or were they in stock when you posted?

On 10/27/2022 at 5:24 AM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Appears to be a cash grab at this point. Will not support this company. 

That was my initial reaction to the original release as well as the current news.  At least there is a little bit of engineering involved in Conid pens, unlike, say, the new Onoto pens which are about the same price for a simple plastic tube with a steel nib.

1 hour ago, Paul-in-SF said:

That was yesterday. When I look now, the pens appear to be (once more?) out of stock. Or were they in stock when you posted?

it showed stock when I checked earlier this morning. I guess it's all sold out.

Well, I put myself in to be notified if/when they are back in stock, we'll see if I have any money available at the time. 

Disappointed to learn the CAISO won’t be produced. I know this was an unneeded novelty (what fountain pen isn’t?) but I had been planning to buy one ever since the model was announced. Oh well, snooze you lose.  

• 2 weeks later...

an ignorant question on my end, but with the customization of the nib unit/feed that Conid does, is it still possible to just pull the nib and feed to swap in a separate Bock #8 nib that I already have? I have a nice #8 needlepoint done by Pablo at FPNibs I'd love to use, once I'm able to purchase one of the new Conids!

8 hours ago, axtang said:

an ignorant question on my end, but with the customization of the nib unit/feed that Conid does, is it still possible to just pull the nib and feed to swap in a separate Bock #8 nib that I already have? I have a nice #8 needlepoint done by Pablo at FPNibs I'd love to use, once I'm able to purchase one of the new Conids!

yes.. you can use it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:18 PM, fountainbel said:

I confirm, no problem at all ! 

Hi fountainbel,

I hope this message finds you well.

Just wondering if you know when Conid will be releasing the regular clear demonstrator?

Thanks fountainbel! :)

Best regards, John

Hundreds of flowers in spring, the moon in autumn,
The cool breeze in summer and snow in winter;
If there is no vain cloud in your mind,
for you it is a good season.

-  Mumon Ekai  無門慧開 

• 2 months later...

Update :Conid/ Penworld are  in the process in launching  a series of 150 Minimalistica's demonstrators with black Delrin cap and titanium ends.

One can already enlist on the Pe world web site.

Best regards,

Francis

On 4/8/2023 at 8:51 AM, fountainbel said:

Update :Conid/ Penworld are  in the process in launching  a series of 150 Minimalistica's demonstrators with black Delrin cap and titanium ends.

Best regards,

Francis

Oh nice..

On 4/8/2023 at 7:51 AM, fountainbel said:

Best regards,

Francis

Do you know if Conid will sell separate parts in the future?

I have an all demonstrator Minimalistica with the old green o-ring. While I love the look in general, the inside of the cap has become cloudy between the lip and the o-ring (but not on the section, which I find strange). I'd like to buy a Delrin cap or even just the replacement barrel part and move my existing clip and finial to the new part. When I ordered the pen, I was able to order an extra clip-less band for the cap, but didn't think to order a second cap.

15 hours ago, nanders9 said:

Do you know if Conid will sell separate parts in the future?

I have an all demonstrator Minimalistica with the old green o-ring. While I love the look in general, the inside of the cap has become cloudy between the lip and the o-ring (but not on the section, which I find strange). I'd like to buy a Delrin cap or even just the replacement barrel part and move my existing clip and finial to the new part. When I ordered the pen, I was able to order an extra clip-less band for the cap, but didn't think to order a second cap.

Sorry, I don't know...

You will have to ask Conid or Penworld...

@fountainbel - thanks for the suggestion! I've reached out to Conid by responding to an old email thread. However, I can't find an email address for Penworld. Hopefully I'll hear back from Conid and won't need to contact Penworld!

@es9 - I'll report back with what I find! I'm not too optimistic as I remember the back-and-forth communication around the time I purchased the pen was spotty.

2 hours ago, nanders9 said:

I can't find an email address for Penworld.

They have a phone.  Perhaps they prefer the retro personal approach?

Add lightness and simplicate.