Conid News - Update

Karmachanic

Thanks. When they do start taking orders, I think I’ll use all my pen budget (and then some) to buy a kingsize and a minimalistica. The former is my grail pen at the moment and the latter seems like it would be a fantastic daily writer. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• es9

• fountainbel

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, Detman101 said:

Yikes...I left Penbbs over their delayed production time (3 months) for the 355 line.
There's no way I could wait potentially years for a pen...
Conid must have some reeeeeeeally devoted fans.

I got to try one of their smaller pens at a series of after-hours round table demos/discussions at a pen show a couple of years ago, and would dearly love to have one -- it was a nice size and weight for me (I have "girly" hands :rolleyes:).  But I'm willing to wait, because I think even those were not exactly inexpensive.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

29 minutes ago, es9 said:

Thanks. When they do start taking orders, I think I’ll use all my pen budget (and then some) to buy a kingsize and a minimalistica. The former is my grail pen at the moment and the latter seems like it would be a fantastic daily writer. 

I'd suggest getting the Minimalistica first. It's good enough that it might suffice. Not to dissuade you.

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

I'd suggest getting the Minimalistica first. It's good enough that it might suffice. Not to dissuade you.

Yes. Minimalistica is sort of a misnomer since I don’t find the pen minimalist. The only thing it doesn’t have is a screw on cap. It’s not a small pen either. More like a Pelikan M800. 

10 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I got to try one of their smaller pens at a series of after-hours round table demos/discussions at a pen show a couple of years ago, and would dearly love to have one -- it was a nice size and weight for me (I have "girly" hands :rolleyes:).  But I'm willing to wait, because I think even those were not exactly inexpensive.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I imagine that they are nice pens, but I would have to see one in person before I drop that kind of money.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

11 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Ordinarily I would do just that.  In this case, however, I am tempted to go all in because of the production/communication issues discussed on here.  I know it probably seems crazy, but I am pretty confident I will love both models.  

Yikes I was kind of holding off hoping for a bulkfiller but the potential of 18mths from what is presently an unknown start date does not seem like the way to go. Anyone have experience with Montegrappa? I've been spying the Extra Otta Lapis which might be the next buy till better timelines are identified for the Conid pens.

16 hours ago, Rob77499 said:

Yikes I was kind of holding off hoping for a bulkfiller but the potential of 18mths from what is presently an unknown start date does not seem like the way to go. Anyone have experience with Montegrappa? I've been spying the Extra Otta Lapis which might be the next buy till better timelines are identified for the Conid pens.

The Montegrappa Extra Otto is a wonderful pen. I assume the supplies of celluloid won’t last forever. All the Montegrappa celluloid colours are rather beautiful, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy my bulkfillers. I am waiting for them to get back into production again. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 1 month later...

Thought it was about time for another “anybody heard anything new?” post…

Not to mention that the Delta variant is now spreading like wildfire. I understand that Komec ( Conid's Parent Company) has been very busy manufacturing supplies for the health and hospital industry during this long crisis.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, es9 said:

We are sure they are going to start up again at some point, right?

I wouldn't bank on it. Conid was essentially a side hustle, and they had trouble keeping up with BAU before Covid. Komec now appears to be flat out with their actual business and it would not be unreasonable to think that the last 12 months has seen a change in their priorities.

I hope that this is not the case, as I would like a Kingsize, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Before I received my Conid, I should have looked into the parent company, Komec and its philosophy

Acceptance of one, both or neither:

• We do it our way! -- Komec (Strategy)
  • With patience, you gain time -- Komec (Mindset)

would have conditioned unnecessary impatience/suffering

Is Conid thee ultimate or Penultimate?😉 🙄 harhar 

While I enjoy my excellent Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller and I hope to see Komec rise again with the Conid brand, I think there are also a lot of other great pens worthy of functional consideration, YMMV

13 hours ago, silverlifter said:

I wouldn't bank on it. Conid was essentially a side hustle, and they had trouble keeping up with BAU before Covid. Komec now appears to be flat out with their actual business and it would not be unreasonable to think that the last 12 months has seen a change in their priorities.

I hope that this is not the case, as I would like a Kingsize, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Same, I've moved on...It's just another thing i missed in the constant change and turmoil of the fountain-pen-life. 🙄

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Even though I've got extra rings with my Conid Minimalistica, I am thoughtful about the need for one in the cap and with Conid 'out for the count'.  

20 minutes ago, maclink said:

Even though I've got extra rings with my Conid Minimalistica, I am thoughtful about the need for one in the cap and with Conid 'out for the count'.  

Kirk Speer at Pen Realm sells them.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:35 AM, Karmachanic said:

No. Gentle push/pull and twist.

Same here for my Minimalistica.  It is one of my favorite non screw on caps.

the Danitrio Fellowship