Montblanc Meisterstück Le Petit Prince Special Edition 146 Petit Prince And Planet Ef

Tom Kellie

~ The Montblanc Le Petit Prince Special Edition 146 Petit Prince and Planet EF has been in daily use for more than two months.

Despite being an EF nib, it's used up three fillings of ink, with each color writing well.

The superb effect of the piston knob mass has resulted in it being an especially pleasant writing tool.

The Extra Fine nib exceeds any expectations I might have harbored, as it consistently writes with accuracy, clarity and immediacy.

Those who've acquired one, and those waiting for theirs to arrive, are sure to enjoy writing with one of Montblanc's most pleasing 2020 models.

Tom K.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Madeline

• sebastel23

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tom, I got inspired by your post and ordered the same pen in EF. It arrived yesterday. I filled it with MB Toffee Brown. It is my first MB pen. I am super happy with the nice combination of smoothness and feedback of the nib. The shape of 146 fits perfectly in my hand. The color combo is just amazing. Thanks a lot for your photographs!

Hi Tom, I got inspired by your post and ordered the same pen in EF. It arrived yesterday. I filled it with MB Toffee Brown. It is my first MB pen. I am super happy with the nice combination of smoothness and feedback of the nib. The shape of 146 fits perfectly in my hand. The color combo is just amazing. Thanks a lot for your photographs!

~ LyaT:

Thank you so much for sharing the great news!

I'm so glad that yours is as pleasing for writing as mine has been.

If this thread's images helped make the purchase decision, that's especially nice.

Happy Writing!

Tom K.

Montblanc 146 Special Edition Petit Prince and Planet EF

with

Sailor 1911 Realo Maroon 21K EF

fpn_1592454119__side-by-side.jpg

Side-by-Side

fpn_1592454205__two_ef_nibs.jpg

Two EF Nibs

fpn_1592454314__both_uncapped.jpg

Both Uncapped

• 2 months later...

Tom, thank you so much for your amazing pictures and detailed posts, as ever!

I have been on the fence over this pen, now i am not... the only thing i am not too sure of is when to buy one! hahaha. It could be as early as within 2 weeks, or a few months... the review of the new Nvidia 3080 video cards will tell... as it will be one or the other!

Thank you so much for the plentiful sharing of your amazing photographs. (a new nikon D7600 is also on the wishlist...!)

AH, I'm so excited. These post by Tom and everyone else are making me very excited and antsy for mine to come in. It will be my first Montblanc, though I'm getting mine in a M nib. :D

~ Reed_thoughts:

It's a wonderful pen in all respects.

Mine has remained in daily use for work since it was acquired.

No regrets whatsoever.

When you finally decide to add it to your collection, it's sure to be a special joy as a writer.

Tom K.

AH, I'm so excited. These post by Tom and everyone else are making me very excited and antsy for mine to come in. It will be my first Montblanc, though I'm getting mine in a M nib. :D

~ HaileyD:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network and the Montblanc Forum!

Your M nib pen will surely be a highlight of your writing tool collection.

It feels ideal in the hand, with exceptional balance.

May it arrive sooner than expected!

Tom K.

After much delay, including the vendor sending the pen with the wrong nib size, I finally received the correct EF that I ordered. It is a real beauty--thanks to Tom for posting these photos, which reassured me that I had not erred in ordering the pen. I have inked it with Montblanc Homage to Hadrian, which makes an excellent match. The nib is one of the narrowest EFs I have seen on a modern Montblanc. It is a joy to write with. It's a delight to hear from Tom and all of you in these times.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, Tom Kellie said:

~ After hours of writing with the first Montblanc fountain pen I’ve acquired since 2018, There’s a strong feeling of satisfaction in using an exceptionally well-crafted writing tool.

Forget about the EF nib (by far the best one I’ve ever had from Montblanc)…forget about the Le Petit Prince theme…forget about the burgundy red color…forget about the 146 size…forget about the ink window…forget about the attractive design with a smooth ‘break’ for a comfortable grip.

The new Meisterstück Special Edition 146 Petit Prince and Planet fountain pen is a spectacular daily writer for one compelling reason.

The inclusion of a champagne gold metal piston knob.

Were it possible, I’d love to host all FPN Montblanc Forum friends at a Montblanc boutique so that they each might enjoy the experience of holding this pen and writing with it.

I wouldn’t really be overly concerned whether or not everyone liked the looks or the 146 size. That’s all a major plus, yet that’s not what has stood out as this model’s great feature.

I’d want you to feel the exquisite weight and balance. As all of you are long-experienced in writing and sketching with fountain pens, I’m confident that you’d immediately recognize how special this model is.

Placing a metal piston knob on a resin pen may seem counter-intuitive or even a tad kooky, but in practice it’s wildly effective.

That additional metallic mass in the back, which is definitely there yet not at all excessive, becomes a welcome physical force when the pen is used with nib angled down, effectively propelling the pen nib forward thereby reducing the work of the fingers.

Those of us who do long stretches of actual writing on paper benefit from such deft engineering. I did a blind test of ten inked pens on my writing desk. This pen was by far the most comfortable in the fingers upon picking it up.

I’m not promoting it, but rather sharing my delight with all of you, because it’s such an unexpected surprise to write with a fountain pen designed with the writer’s comfort in mind.

Below is an image photographed outside at 7 am this morning, showing the uncapped pen, a Staedtler marker for size comparison, and the French language lesson which I’m preparing, using the superb EF nib.

Tom K.

fpn_1586303627__preparing_a_french_lesso

Preparing a French Lesson

Is this the only Montblanc (in the 146 size) which has a metal piston knob?  It seems like such a great innovation that one might want to see it in other Montblancs as well.  I am just beginning to search but I haven't found another like this (beyond this model--the Meisterstück Special Edition 146 Petit Prince years).

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Thank you!  I've had trouble navigating that site but that's probably due to my old browser (limited by my old OS).  But I'll try that again.  Thanks!

--Mark Twain

7 hours ago, Madeline said:

Thank you!  I've had trouble navigating that site but that's probably due to my old browser (limited by my old OS).  But I'll try that again.  Thanks!

I like the website of the fountain pen hospital. It’s up to date on the current MB offering and easy to navigate. 

http://fountainpenhospital.com

8 hours ago, Madeline said:

Is this the only Montblanc (in the 146 size) which has a metal piston knob?  It seems like such a great innovation that one might want to see it in other Montblancs as well.  I am just beginning to search but I haven't found another like this (beyond this model--the Meisterstück Special Edition 146 Petit Prince years).

You may want to check also the Meisterstück Ultra Black, a Special Edition of 2016, which was proposed in the Le Grand (146) and Classic versions. It has the same kind of metal piston knob of the Petit Prince, but in dark ruthenium.

Thank you both for those suggestions!  The Fountain Pen Hospital gives a great overview.  Definitely bookmarked.

The Meisterstück Ultra Black looks classy.  That one led me deeper into the special editions and I found another one with  a metal piston knob (the 2016 Moon Pearl).  All beyond my budget but I had a wonderful time wandering among the photographs :-)   They all look like marvelous feats of engineering.  

--Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review! It's an incredible looking pen, and I love the 146 size. Aside from that, it seems that this is the most practical way to get a burgundy 146, albeit a very special burgundy one.

Seems there's still some stock floating around out there...the urge to spend my next stimulus check before it even gets here is strong.

811361357_OnBurgundyMoireSilk.thumb.JPG.45635f47d5ee4a4669cb4b4f472441f9.JPG

On Burgundy Moiré Silk

~ The Montblanc Meisterstück Le Petit Prince Special Edition 146 Petit Prince and Planet EF remains a treasured daily writer.

The tautness of the nib is matched by a gentle ease of touch on high-grade paper with superb feedback.

A Montblanc fountain pen which continues to impress.

Tom K.