Buying a Namiki Vanishing Point ..... but

Aitch

Oh, that reminds me, the pen comes with a kind of little metal cage, and it may just flabbergast you as to the reason why it is included. However, don't throw it away. You need it in conjunction with a cartridge, it fits right over, and serves to make sure the click mechanism doesn't compress the cartridge too much, and potentially splits it. This has the potential to result in a minor flooding disaster otherwise :D  :lol:. :lol:

Does anyone have a picture of the wire cage thing? I don't think mine came with one, and I only use carts in it. ??? :(

Edit: In the very bottom of the penbox it came in I just found a spare cart and what looks like a metal cart cover. Is that it? It's not wire, it's thin solid metal, and it definitely fits over a cartridge. Been sitting in that box for 8 months and I've never seen it before because it was under the warranties, under the place where the pen normally sits. :o

Edited by Leslie J.

Never lie to your dog.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger

• wimg

• southpaw

• KCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: In the very bottom of the penbox it came in I just found a spare cart and what looks like a metal cart cover. Is that it? It's not wire, it's thin solid metal, and it definitely fits over a cartridge. Been sitting in that box for 8 months and I've never seen it before because it was under the warranties, under the place where the pen normally sits. :o

yup - That's it, Leslie! I wouldn't have noticed mine either except i heard something rattling in there and pulled the padded insert out. Ta Daaa! I used mine without the cartridge cover for quite some time before I realized what it was for.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Guest Denis Richard

Dillon is right on the white nibs. From Rivera Pens :

I have learned from Germany's Regina Martini at last year's Los Angeles International Pen Show that Pilot has released 18K white gold nibs with its newest Vanishing Points. I contacted Pilot USA and they said they have no plans to release a white gold nib in the U.S. Maybe these nibs are only meant for the European market. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has more information on these nibs. I will post my findings here if I find out anything new.

The Blue Carbonesque appears with it on Namiki's catalog: http://www.namiki.com/VanishPt.pdf

Denis.

Hi Denis,

Never to old to learn, I guess. OTOH, I would never bother to buy a VP over here. At the price point of 200 euros, vs $72 at Pam's, I reckon they're a little overpriced, about 3 X I would venture to say, and that includes shipping and customs duties :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

yup - That's it, Leslie! I wouldn't have noticed mine either except i heard something rattling in there and pulled the padded insert out. Ta Daaa! I used mine without the cartridge cover for quite some time before I realized what it was for.

KCat, Leslie,

yes, that's the thingemejig I meant. Sorry my language doesn't always express exactly what I mean... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thanks to all: LeslieJ, SP, Denis, Wim & the KCat.

SP: When I stop flappin' ma jaw, I'll be out the other end of the furnace and my wife will be lookin' fer another guy to keep her amused. :o

I should tell you that I have paid out 3 & 4 times what a VP costs for a more pricy, but standard FP. But this VP represents an unknown quantity to me and requires my intense investigation. :lol: In fact, I'm not sure I'm technically qualified enough to use the VP. :lol:

Wim: I had read of the cage (probably from you), so I'm on guard. B)

Y'all best be treating me right, cause Viseguy's gonna be in town later this week, and he's well connected back in New York City. All he has to do is snap his fingers and "Guido" will be paying you a call! B)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Guest Denis Richard
Y'all best be treating me right, cause Viseguy's gonna be in town later this week, and he's well connected back in New York City. All he has to do is snap his fingers and "Guido" will be paying you a call!  B)

Depends if Guido can go as far as the West Coast :P

Seriously Roger... try a VP in Blue Carbonesque... If you get one, I'll make you an individual RichWrap™ :lol:

Edited by Denis Richard

D'em city boys don't do so hot down here in da country! Best tell Guido stay way! :P

Seriously - if I can operate a VP, you can Roger. They're simple, yet elegant, at least from a user standpoint (the engineering is quite the trick). :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I'll have to look at those colors again, Denis. The carbonesques were not as high on my list as the red w/GT and the black w/GT. Told you I was dull! :blush:

But listen up, Denis and SP, cause the "Family" has connections all over the world. Not sure where in the Carolinas, but certainly out there where Denis lives. Don't forget that if it weren't for the Italian winemakers in CA that eeked out a living during prohibition, making sacramental wines, we wouldn't have had any wine industry to quickly start up after prohibition was repealed.

Dunno what this has to do with my forthcoming VP, but what the heck... :D

Edit: spelled sacramental incorrectly

Edited by Roger

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

All this talk about VPs is finally piquing my interest. I had always placed the VP far down on my "want list," since it's squeezed on both sides (pricewise) by the Pelikan M200 and the Lamy 2000, but this thread may be changing this.

It seems that most people are using descriptions usually reserved for esties: "worth every penny," "interchangeable nibs for cheap," "heavy construction...durable." Intriguing...

I've heard that broad VP nibs are prone to skipping; is this true?

Thanks

Edward T.

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Hi Edward,

All this talk about VPs is finally piquing my interest.  I had always placed the VP far down on my "want list," since it's squeezed on both  sides (pricewise) by the Pelikan M200 and the Lamy 2000, but this thread may be changing this. 

It seems that most people are using descriptions usually reserved for esties: "worth every penny," "interchangeable nibs for cheap," "heavy construction...durable."  Intriguing...

But all true. Maybe they are the modern Esties... :D

Nope, but they are prone to squeaking, yes. Depending on humidity and ink... These pens are fairly wet writers, but only write the normal way around. Turned over 180 degrees, they just don't, and I think that is because the tines, or rather the tipping material, is squeezed together on top, while on the writing surface the gap is slightly bigger. This makes the upper parts of the tipping material rub against each other, and produce a squeaking noise occasionally.

Well, that is my theory, anyway, FWIW :D. For some reason the B nib squeaks more than the other two sizes...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Next time I wander past my Japanese Pen Import Store, I'll have to take a closer peek at their VPs. There were a few VPs there priced at $150 while a sister shop had them at $99 so perhaps the store does have the 14k nib. I'll let you all know if they do, since some may be looking for this nib.

Thanks for the head's up. I keep on wanting to purchase a VP but have small hands and want to try it out first for comfort. However, I also want to save money by buying with Pam so I haven't asked my local stores for a look-see. I Don't feel right doing a brick and morter to internet switch when it takes up valuable salesperson time.

Maybe I should trek to Vallejo, CA for the next Northern CA pen meeting to see if some sweet person would let me scribble with theirs for a few minutes.

Hi,

My favourite dealer sells them for 99 USD. The pens they sell all have 14k nibs.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I really want an orange VP. Apparently they were only made for the overseas market. If anyone can point out a way for me to find one, that would be much appreciated.

Never lie to your dog.

Just wondering ...... can the clip on the VP be removed somehow ??

I wish Namiki could have come up with a retractable clip as well as the nib !!

Hi Aitch,

Yes, it can be removed. Unfortunately, that would be a permanent alteration. I guess that is not what you're really looking for.

OTOH, it may just be possible to turn the nib/feed a little in the assembly to suit the way you hold the pen. I think Richard Binder has done modifications for people, or maybe John Mottishaw, can't remember right now.

Why not contact either of the two, and see what they say?

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I bought one today for myself after reading through this thread. I got a blue carbonesque model with a medium nib. I read that Namiki's/Pilot's medium nibs were closer to an fine, but I found my sample to be a true medium nib.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Hi Aitch,

Yes, it can be removed. Unfortunately, that would be a permanent alteration. I guess that is not what you're really looking for.

OTOH, it may just be possible to turn the nib/feed a little in the assembly to suit the way you hold the pen. I think Richard Binder has done modifications for people, or maybe John Mottishaw, can't remember right now.

Why not contact either of the two, and see what they say?

Warm regards, Wim

John M. sells the VPs, but Richard B. does not (not on his website), so that modification was most probably done by John. Just based on that, I'd contact John first re: such a modification.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

All this talk about VPs is finally piquing my interest. I had always placed the VP far down on my "want list," since it's squeezed on both sides (pricewise) by the Pelikan M200 and the Lamy 2000, but this thread may be changing this.

It seems that most people are using descriptions usually reserved for esties: "worth every penny," "interchangeable nibs for cheap," "heavy construction...durable." Intriguing...

Thanks

Edward T.

Not to pour water on the VP love-fest but...

It is probably a good idea to get a hold of a VP and test it out. I have had two of them both a older and newer version and the clip was right in the middle of my finger grip and made it annoying/ uncomfortable to write. I sold both after a time as they didn't get used.

I tried to flip the nib assembly upside down to put the clip on the bottom of the pen but there must be a keyhole since it wouldn't go ( or I'd still have the pen now)

As Wim said it might be possible to modify the nib unit to allow this but for me it was easier to sell the pen. That's a habit I've gotten into, if a pen isn't a good writer for me then it either goes back to the manufacturer or up for sale. I refuse to settle.

Kurt H

Not to pour water on the VP love-fest but...

No water problem, Kurt. It has been said by several, at different times, to get one of these in your hands, if possible, before committing. ;) My neck of the woods doesn't easily allow that, however, so I've taken to trying to create the situation that I'll face. I think, and I do mean think, that I'll be okay, but if not, like you, I'll cut my loss, take a little beating on the money aspect and move it along for the next owner to enjoy.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA