The Fountain Pen Network Messages

Back Online Again!

Dearest Members and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Nuthouse,

NOTE: Your new login user name now is your old Display Name, alternative login option is your email address!

For more details, please check FPN News, here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/356406-finally-back-online-again/?tab=comments#comment-4371649

Warm regards, The FPN Admin Team

Rate Topic 0

I just received two nibs from someone who knows I like pens. The nibs were straight out of a box from the '40s (has been opened since, but still exciting). I was excited to hear about them, and I want to know more! One is a Wearever nib, a company I am very familiar with, but I would like to know if anyone has any more info about the nib (reads WEAREVER and underneath: "4". (Nib on the right). The nib on the left reads "champion" and underneath "14k"and "plated". I am not familiar with a "champion" company. The nib needs repair, but it seems like it is in fairly good condition.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_3271.jpg

Edited by WLSpec
  • 2 weeks later...

#4 would be a nib size....medium-small to medium. Not all Wear Ever pens nibs were poor....they were not of course the best.

I once had four good quality Wearever pre war and four post war pens. Wearever had a couple models of second tier pens; besides their more known third and 4th tier pens.

We once had a member, who fell ill and had to sell for a nickle on a dollar the worlds greatest collection of Wearevr pens. His blog had been quite informatic.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 would be a nib size....medium-small to medium. Not all Wear Ever pens nibs were poor....they were not of course the best.

I once had four good quality Wearever pre war and four post war pens. Wearever had a couple models of second tier pens; besides their more known third and 4th tier pens.

We once had a member, who fell ill and had to sell for a nickle on a dollar the worlds greatest collection of Wearevr pens. His blog had been quite informatic.

Thank you Bo Bo. As one of the most knowledgeable nib people here, do you have any info on the "Champion" company (nib on the left)? I had heard they they are some third tier co, but can't find any more info

Thanks but I only have a thimble's worth of knowledge. I never got around to buying that expensive book on nib geometry.

Wearever was once the largest pen factory in the world.....making much of the 3rd & 4th tier pens for other companies. Companies I think like Arnold were also ordered from Wearever....Could be Champion was too.

Champion....rings a real faint bell....NY use to make a lot of pens. But not being in the states didn't pay any attention.

The only suggestion I can make is to put Champion in the search section.

The Champion looks more like a regular flex nib, the Wearever more a nail/semi-nail? Is it so?

Nail 1 X max no tine spread.

Semi-nail, can be mashed out to 2 X a light down stroke.

Regular flex can be mashed out to 3 X a light down stroke.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.