• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Tseg

• stan

• KingsCountyWriter

Top Posters In This Topic

UK/US not on the linked list. So hopefully the item that "is being posted" on the email dated 3/27 will make it.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Seems to have more to do with local lockdowns and/or service shutdowns that are current for specific destinations.

Australia is not impacted in spite of the "stay at home" orders in various states, whereas New Zealand is on the no-service for "all types of mail" list because of the total shutdown there.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On their HP, they write a bit more: "The novel coronavirus pandemic has caused many countries/territories to take measures such as stopping acceptance of inbound postal items as well as considerable suspension and reduction of flights from/to Japan. Accordingly, our transportation performance has significantly declined. Therefore, acceptance of international mail items, mainly EMS and parcel-post/letter-post items by air and SAL, will be temporarily suspended from April 2."

On the bright side, this might bring down some prices on Yahoo Japan. Or, some sellers might to decide to hold off selling until this is over.,

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

On their HP, they write a bit more: "The novel coronavirus pandemic has caused many countries/territories to take measures such as stopping acceptance of inbound postal items as well as considerable suspension and reduction of flights from/to Japan. Accordingly, our transportation performance has significantly declined. Therefore, acceptance of international mail items, mainly EMS and parcel-post/letter-post items by air and SAL, will be temporarily suspended from April 2."

Thank you for the clarification.

Add lightness and simplicate.

your post is misleading as it implies that japan is closing mail off completely. can we close this please moderators?

nickycat, the post does not imply that at all. Reading the link & mke's messages should have made that clear. I appreciate mke's useful & important information.

Did not intend to be argumentative, but I reach an entirely different conclusion from the same information.

Edited by Barry Gabay

Just to give everyone a bit more real world information. On the 19th March I dropped off parcels to be delivered to the U.S. and the U.K. At that time I was told operations were as normal, and the parcels would be delivered in the usual 3~5 business day window. After 5 days of no movement on the tracking, I called the central post office. At that time, I was told there were delays due to a lack of available space on outgoing aircraft, and that the items were due to leave Japan on the 28th March. I then contacted the central post office again on the 27th to confirm the parcels would be going out the next day and at that point was told that delays were now extended to at least the end of April and possibly beyond. At that point I had my packages picked and returned to me. I checked with Fedex and UPS. Fedex is still delivering as usual, but at astronomical rates vs. EMS. One parcel that was going to New York cost approximately $125 by EMS, I was quoted $850 by Fedex. UPS has suspended all delivery guarantees of any type, anywhere in the world to any destination in the world, so they are also currently not a possibility. I would suggest avoiding any type of transactions into or out of Japan until this all clears up, or prepare to pay an exorbitant amount to ship Fedex. Even a Fedex envelope pack is priced at around $75.

Regards

My package from Tokyo to Los Angeles was posted in Tokyo on March 30. Arrived LAX Customs on April 1. Tracking indicates it is still in Customs. Past experience is that tracking can be inaccurate up to one day. So, should arrive at my door today or tomorrow. It is being shipped EMS and there are no exorbitant fees.

It may depend on the service being used, destination, and how it is being shipped.

Posting of reports from FPNers on difficulties or ease of shipments would be appreciated.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Dang, I have a Sailor 1911 Large coming my way I bought from an auction site a week ago. Just yesterday the site finally posted that a tracking number was generated, but no movement on the tracking number. I may be in for quite a wait.

I ordered a Curidas last Friday from Japan via eBay and havent had any shipping notification yet.

Im also waiting for a pen from Schon DSGN - it got as far as New York last Friday but since then nothing.

Perhaps it was unwise to order from abroad at the moment but pen sellers need support and I wanted a bit of cheer. Oh well, as long as they dont get lost amid the backlog I can wait.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

peerless1,

Thank you for adding your input. Strange how my packages from two weeks ago never moved, and yet yours that was mailed on the 30th shipped and made it to the U.S. I just spoke with the local post office this morning in person. As of now, they are refusing to even accept international EMS packages, as they have no idea when things will be back to normal and begin moving. Shipments to Korea and China were suspended way back on the 12th March, so this is just a continuation of that disruption. For those of you with packages en route from Japan, you should try checking the tracking from the Japanese website, as that will show the status of the package. The U.S. side of things does not usually update until the package has reached the U.S. and the tracking number is scanned into the system on that side. Good luck to all.

Regards

I ordered some Zebra Sarasa Select Peanuts items on eBay from a seller in Japan.

Tracking number was provided, so better check.

Posted Image

It really depends where you live. I sent an EMS package from Japan to Germany on April1st which has arrived in Germany on April 2nd. It is now out of customs. The next step might take time.

I sent an airmail small package on April 2nd - let's see how much time this will take.

mke,

Thanks for the additional data point. This is starting to make me a bit paranoid. I sent my parcels from a post office in Chiyoda-ku Tokyo, and this is the post office that told me they would not accept any EMS packets or parcels until further notice. How is it that EMS parcels from the 19th March were unable to move beyond the Tokyo processing point, but you have sent a parcel almost two full weeks later, and it made it to Germany in one day?! I have had to refund almost $10,000 in deals that I have made (none of them pen related) and it is causing me to miss out on many opportunities to transact with people in the U.S. and U.K. I think I need to speak with the people in the local post office again, and maybe make a trip to the central post office with my parcels to see if I can get them accepted and on their way. More updates to come.

Regards

I had to wait around 20 days for a package, Japan to Europe, EMS. It has never ever taken this long before. It was for ages stuck in the Japanese post office, was processed but still stuck in Japan and then it was for ages stuck in customs in Europe. This was last month, so I suppose a bit of luck is also involved if a package made it 1-2 April.

The problem right now is also that so few planes are flying, all the cargo can't be picked up properly. Post etc do have their own fleet, but that's small and a large part was transported via passenger planes. Some passenger planes are right now working as cargo planes, to keep up with demand.

Some fleets are grounded, so not every postal service seems to be working nowadays either (I think UPS is grounded in Europe? not sure though).

You could try shipping again, if you're lucky you'll have it easy like mke.

Hmm---I'm a bit worried since I paid for EMS on 3/27 and there's been no update since then on my order.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow