Cmyk Colour Wheel Using Four Fountain Pen Inks

NickiStew

nick-stewart_ink-chapter-1000px.jpg

I have recently posted a CMYK ink mixing tutorial on YouTube which may be of interest to those of you who are into your inks. With many of us in lockdown, this a great opportunity to pursue fountain pen ink investigation. For best results, use fountain pen inks that are as close to the four primary colours as possible: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. And try to use inks that are pure dyes ie not containing pigment (sludge). This is not brand specific, you can mix and match brands if you wish, just as long as the inks you choose are as near to the primary colours as possible. You can find the tutorial on my YouTube channel. Search under Nick Stewart Ink Art. Have fun and please post your results here. Thanks. Nick

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• DrDebG

• WLSpec

This is great! Thank you for letting us know. BTW, I subscribed.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Game on! Looking forward to seeing your talents. N

Thank you. But I don't want to get your hopes up. I have little to no talent in spite of growing up in a family of artists. I'm the "egg-head", like my father.

Have you tried Sailor's new Manyo inks, and particularly Haha and Nekoyanogi? They are somewhat like Sailor 123 being multi-hued. I've also had some fun sketching with them and Diamine Soft Mint and DeAtramentis Heather Violet to bring some "springtime" into windy, snow and cold weather during my confinement.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you. But I don't want to get your hopes up. I have little to no talent in spite of growing up in a family of artists. I'm the "egg-head", like my father.

Have you tried Sailor's new Manyo inks, and particularly Haha and Nekoyanogi? They are somewhat like Sailor 123 being multi-hued. I've also had some fun sketching with them and Diamine Soft Mint and DeAtramentis Heather Violet to bring some "springtime" into windy, snow and cold weather during my confinement.

Not yet,but I’m hoping to get hold of some samples.

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

My pleasure. By the way, what do you think your problem might be?

oh, thats easy. my bank account/income stream does not properly align with my fountain pen (especially Parker 51) ownership goals. :/

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

oh, thats easy. my bank account/income stream does not properly align with my fountain pen (especially Parker 51) ownership goals. :/

Yup! You have a problem! Are you thinking of turning to crime to help solve this?

Yup! You have a problem! Are you thinking of turning to crime to help solve this?

i thought about it, but decided it was unlikely that even the overly lax Canadian prison system would allow me fountain pens in prison, and therefore the risk/reward ratio did not match up.

i thought about it, but decided it was unlikely that even the overly lax Canadian prison system would allow me fountain pens in prison, and therefore the risk/reward ratio did not match up.

... is the right answer.

I was kinda wondering which way your avatar was leaning. But now I realize it is towards a superhero, not a bandit.

I was kinda wondering which way your avatar was leaning. But now I realize it is towards a superhero, not a bandit.

My avatar is bat-heart of awkward yeti fame. :)

http://theawkwardyeti.com/comic/new-me/

http://theawkwardyeti.com/comic/embrace/

http://theawkwardyeti.com/comic/working/

http://theawkwardyeti.com/comic/weird/

Welcome to your new addiction

What about recreating your avatar using the four primary colour fountain pen inks?

What about recreating your avatar using the four primary colour fountain pen inks?

I had not considered that (I am not a creative person by nature)

And it seems like it would be fun, but for the time being, I do not have appropriate paper (nothing thicker than Clairfontaine 90GSM), and more importantly, my magenta is Noodler's Shah's Rose. and I don't have the yellow... so I can't make a true red :(

However, at some point I'm going to get around to BUYING Noodler's yellow. and when that day comes, I hope I will remember this idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

You just reminded me I have the CMYK colors from diamine, private reserve, and Noodlers that I bought for mixing and never did.

Great idea for quarantine!!!

I got yellow, shah's, Navajo, and figure I'll just use black from Noodlers.

Thanks Nicki for the idea!!!!

Edited by stoof2010

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

:lol:

I was kinda like that when the Pelikan M800 Stresemann came out a few years ago. I said at the time, "An M800 is too big and heavy for me -- but if they come with the color in an M400 I'd be knocking over banks to get the money for one...." (Then I got lucky and when they DID come out with one in that size, it was at the one time in my life where I had a MAJOR discretionary shopping budget.... :thumbup: Which saved me from a life of crime....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:lol:

I was kinda like that when the Pelikan M800 Stresemann came out a few years ago. I said at the time, "An M800 is too big and heavy for me -- but if they come with the color in an M400 I'd be knocking over banks to get the money for one...." (Then I got lucky and when they DID come out with one in that size, it was at the one time in my life where I had a MAJOR discretionary shopping budget.... :thumbup: Which saved me from a life of crime....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I’m glad you avoided prison time. The forum wouldn’t be the same without you! :)