Decision Help With Kaweco Gold Nib And Other Options

MGLX

Hello everyone,

with the upcoming summer and thus wearing lighter clothing I would like to prepare a pouch with my two Kaweco Sports as Companions. Right now, I’m quite interested in upgrading my Kaweco Brass Sport with a broad 14ct gold nib, because I heard good things about it and it seems to have some stub-like qualities, that would perfectly fit my needs. However said gold nib would be ~110€ around here. Maaaybe a Dia2 will find its way to me too, who knows…

However, for a bit more money there are a lot of other interesting options. Amazon has some great offers for Pelikans and Lamy 2000 which could maybe offer a better writing experience overall, minus some interesting nib-options.

The steel medium currently on the Brass Sport is quite boring, but not too bad either that I couldn’t live with it

Lamy does offer oblique nibs here, but from what I saw on pictures and writing samples, they don’t seem to be stubbish at all and I already have a normal 14ct-OB, 14ct-OM and a OBB-stub with which I’m quite satisfied.

I know, it’s probably more subjective, but does someone have some experiences with the Kaweco Gold-Nib-options and can compare them to the likes of a Pelikan M400 or maybe M600 or Lamy 2000 and how is the bigger nib of a Supra or Elite in comparison to the smaller ones? I’d rather go with a Supra or Elite with a good steel nib than a mediocre gold-nib on a Sport.

Thanks and have a nice day. :)

Edited by MGLX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MGLX

• tinta

• Tseg

• bbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can't comment on the kaweco gold nibs, but i'd be interested hearing (reading) about them, too.

however, i had a medium steel nib in a sport AL that was the nicest steel nib i came across so far. need to mention, that i prefer (smooth) hard nibs over springy or even soft ones. writing was easy and effortless, quite remarkable for such a small pen. while i love the appearance of the lilliput, that M sport AL was the better, almost perfect pocket pen to me.

stupidly i forgot to take it out of that container at the security check at malaga airport ... won't go for a black pocket pen again.

so i think your M nib either is faulty, or it doesn't suit your personal writing habits. from my experience, kaweco nibs can vary a lot ...

cheers,

sebastian

I purchased a 14KT gold Kaweco nib in a BB & used it on an Art Sport until I purchased an Amber Dia 2 & decided I would switch the nib to it. I had used predominately 1.5 stubs in most of my Sports & liked the line variation they offered. While the BB gold nib was nice, I was spoiled by the italic nibs so I had my gold Kaweco nib stubbed by Mark Bacas.

I did not find the nib stubbish upon arrival & had used it for more than 6 months before I decided to have it modified for the Dia 2. Perhaps my preference for larger stubs, 1.3, 1.5, or Italic Broads on other pens influenced my decision, but I would not to call my nib stubbish, until it was altered by a nibsmith. It is a small sized nib & other Dia 2 users have expressed preferences for a larger size & I respect their opinions but have been quite happy for the nib on my Dia; it is the same size as the nib that Kaweco used on the Dia 2 & the size seems quite appropriate to me.

I bought a gold *plated* nib for my Kaweco Lilliput, and have been very pleased with it. This is not an aesthetic thing: I've found gold-plated Bock-made nibs to be much better than their unplated counterparts, for just a euro or two more.

The gold surface seems to improve ink flow, making the ink line a little broader and the nib glide more easily. I have 4 plated Bock nibs and 9 unplated now, so I think it's unlikely to be coincidence. Gold is known to have different "wetting" properties.

All this is irrelevant if you're looking for nib springiness...

Hi MGLX, afraid I can’t comment on the Kaweco gold nib either - but as to your comment about a Dia2 finding its way to you, I think if it did you would be very happy. It’s a much under-rated model IMO, and the Amber version is truly beautiful. A really enjoyable pen to write with, too.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hi MGLX,

I had a few of the pens you mentioned already inked so am posting a pic that shows their lines. I also have a DIA 2 with a larger size 5 bock nib---it's the Bock equivalent of the larger Elite/supra nibs. (I think Bock makes the nibs for Kaweco, but am not entirely sure). If I remember correctly, I ordered the larger #5 nib from the UK--Beaufort inks (no affiliation, just had a good experience). I think they are the #76 size you can see on this page.

A few qualifications about the nib-line samples in my picture:

-the DIa2 with the Bock 5 (with the wider shoulder) wasn't already inked, so I just dipped it into the bottle of Kaweco Royal Blue, and that will probably affect the line quality.

-the Pelikan m605 sample uses Kyo No Oto Hisoku ink...I love this ink but it runs rather dry, and that may also affect the line (not entirely sure about the ink dryness-to-line-size correlation though).

Hope that helps--I love all of the nibs. If I had to choose one of these as a juicy broad, it would be a tough choice b/w the Lamy an Pelikan. I love the 14k B Kaweco too, but I just don't find myself using it enough...but that's probably more about the pen size than the nib per se. I could move the 14k to the Dia2, but I don't love love the Dia2. It's perfectly nice pen, and has great detailing (the knurled end, etc) but I have a lot of black pens in that price range and find its section/grip a bit too narrow to be my top choice.

[sorry about the orientation of the closer shots---I rotated them on my desktop but they don't seem to upload that way]

Good luck--and let us know what you end up with!

2020-03-28 12.05.56.jpg

2020-03-28 12.35.29.jpg

2020-03-28 12.35.34.jpg

2020-03-28 12.35.37.jpg

2020-03-28 12.35.40.jpg

Hi MGLX ,

I have a number of Kaweco steel nibs on various Kawecos. They vary quite a bit from excellent to unusable and every time I buy a new Kaweco, I prepare to buy several nibs in hopes that one will be good. I currently have a Carbon Sport with a lovely 1.1 steel nib (the original black nib was awful), a brass wave lilliput with a wonderful fine steel nib (pure luck), an Al sport with a wonderful steel broad nib, several Classic sports that sit in a drawer until I can get the nibs repaired or replaced.

I've really wanted the Brass sport for some time, but didn't want another annoying chase for a decent steel nib, plus the Brass sport is pretty expensive so why not get a nice nib for it? I ordered the pen with a 14 c two tine gold nib from Dan Smith and had it ground to a stub.Yes, it is small, but very pretty. And it writes wonderfully, is tuned to a wet flow, exactly how I like and the pen is miles more enjoyable than my other Kawecos partly because I like the pen and partly--maybe mostly-- because the nib is perfect. It was a really expensive nib and the grind made it more so, but there is no comparison between that pen and my other Kawecos. I like it MUCH more.

By the way I also have a Lamy 2000 with an EF nib--and no nib work-- that I love and several Pelikans. I really like them all.But most of my favorite pens have custom nibs, except for my Lamy and Platinums. Sailors are also wonderful out of the box.

Be well!

I've got a Kaweco Brass Sport with 14K Fine nib and a Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue with a Steel Fine nib.

In summary, they are 2 very different pens. My Kaweco 14K nib is more dry and has more feedback. Both are flawless for writing purposes with no skipping and delivering a crisp line.

Even though the Kaweco has much less ink storage with a small Standard cartridge that I syringe fill, because it writes a more Fine line than the Pelikan and it writes a bit on the dry side, it lasts a VERY long time.

Because my Kaweco is brass it feels like a more substantial pen. My writing preference for either depends on my mood, but generally, I like the Industrialness of the Kaweco more whereas the Pelikan looks like a child's school pen.

Hello everyone and thank you for all the responses.

My Brass Sport has indeed a quite good medium steel nib and I wouldn't say it's not enjoyable. It's just, that I'd like to have a bit more flex or stubbiness. That the gold plating improves flow is something that will definetely affect my purchase.

Hi MGLX, afraid I can’t comment on the Kaweco gold nib either - but as to your comment about a Dia2 finding its way to you, I think if it did you would be very happy. It’s a much under-rated model IMO, and the Amber version is truly beautiful. A really enjoyable pen to write with, too.

Yeah, I really like the combination of design elements. It features a rather industrial look, but combines it with some hints of ornamentation, like factories from around 1900 that had architecture with some chateu or palace like elements, because the owners wanted to brag with their factories. :D

I too saw the Amber version, but the price tag is quite heavy. It's more than double the price!

Just found this, a review of the Dia2 that compares the steel and gold nibs:

Yeah, that's where I got the hint from that broad gold nibs are a tiny bit stubby.

I have had mixed experiences with Kaweco's calligraphy nibs. I have currently two and the 2.3mm is almost unusable while the the 1.5mm is, but it gives me hard starts and interruptions here and there. It got a bit better after some flushing and using another ink, though.

Hi MGLX,

I had a few of the pens you mentioned already inked so am posting a pic that shows their lines. I also have a DIA 2 with a larger size 5 bock nib---it's the Bock equivalent of the larger Elite/supra nibs. (I think Bock makes the nibs for Kaweco, but am not entirely sure). If I remember correctly, I ordered the larger #5 nib from the UK--Beaufort inks (no affiliation, just had a good experience). I think they are the #76 size you can see on this page.

A few qualifications about the nib-line samples in my picture:

-the DIa2 with the Bock 5 (with the wider shoulder) wasn't already inked, so I just dipped it into the bottle of Kaweco Royal Blue, and that will probably affect the line quality.

-the Pelikan m605 sample uses Kyo No Oto Hisoku ink...I love this ink but it runs rather dry, and that may also affect the line (not entirely sure about the ink dryness-to-line-size correlation though).

Hope that helps--I love all of the nibs. If I had to choose one of these as a juicy broad, it would be a tough choice b/w the Lamy an Pelikan. I love the 14k B Kaweco too, but I just don't find myself using it enough...but that's probably more about the pen size than the nib per se. I could move the 14k to the Dia2, but I don't love love the Dia2. It's perfectly nice pen, and has great detailing (the knurled end, etc) but I have a lot of black pens in that price range and find its section/grip a bit too narrow to be my top choice.

[sorry about the orientation of the closer shots---I rotated them on my desktop but they don't seem to upload that way]

Good luck--and let us know what you end up with!

Thank you very much for the effort of posting all the writing samples. Seeing how they really write is helping a lot. So the Dia2 is able to be capped with a larger nib and can house the nib from the Supra? It's baffling why Kaweco isn't installing one of them in the first place, but it creates an interesting option nonetheless.

Hi MGLX ,

I have a number of Kaweco steel nibs on various Kawecos. They vary quite a bit from excellent to unusable and every time I buy a new Kaweco, I prepare to buy several nibs in hopes that one will be good. I currently have a Carbon Sport with a lovely 1.1 steel nib (the original black nib was awful), a brass wave lilliput with a wonderful fine steel nib (pure luck), an Al sport with a wonderful steel broad nib, several Classic sports that sit in a drawer until I can get the nibs repaired or replaced.

I've really wanted the Brass sport for some time, but didn't want another annoying chase for a decent steel nib, plus the Brass sport is pretty expensive so why not get a nice nib for it? I ordered the pen with a 14 c two tine gold nib from Dan Smith and had it ground to a stub.Yes, it is small, but very pretty. And it writes wonderfully, is tuned to a wet flow, exactly how I like and the pen is miles more enjoyable than my other Kawecos partly because I like the pen and partly--maybe mostly-- because the nib is perfect. It was a really expensive nib and the grind made it more so, but there is no comparison between that pen and my other Kawecos. I like it MUCH more.

By the way I also have a Lamy 2000 with an EF nib--and no nib work-- that I love and several Pelikans. I really like them all.But most of my favorite pens have custom nibs, except for my Lamy and Platinums. Sailors are also wonderful out of the box.

Be well!

The brass-variant is my favorite Sport. I know brass from dart barrels and I have some that are decades old now. I'm curious how the brass sport will look in the future and for some reason the weight and weight distribution is just right for me.

All in all, I haven't decided yet. The new infos I got here are very helpful, though.

@MGLX, another option to consider, maybe, is purchasing a custom-ground Kaweco nib that fits precisely your desired specifications. I have bought quite a number of JoWo nibs from fpnibs.com - who now sell Kaweco nibs as well. For €9.50 (plus tax?) you can purchase the nib; for another €19.90 you can ask them to grind it to an italic, cursive italic, architect or whatever. [They do also charge extra for gold plating - but I believe they do the plating themselves??]

When I first started buying from them, a custom grind was under €10 - exceptional value given Pablo's high quality workmanship. At €19.90 though, honestly, it's still a pretty good deal (compared to the US$45+ a lot of American nib technicians charge).

You can, if you wish, order a gold Kaweco nib for just under €100 - they're happy to customise those too. Don't know what you'll pay for shipping (I haven't ordered from them this year), but they've always been very reasonable in the past - and I imagine would be cheaper still if delivering within the EU.

All my Kaweco (Bock) 14c gold nibs have been modified by first stubbing them, then by making improvements to their 060 feeds. "Out-of-the-Box" performance of each nib was in a word horrible.

Here is a modified B & BB nib on two Dia2s pens. They "became" super writers. (I sold the double broad nib & gave away the two Dia2s, but kept a modified B nib)) I still have in regular use two reduced broad stubs (0.7mm, 0.5mm.) &

a medium stub (0.40mm.)

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Decision-paralysis.

My real dilemma comes from the nibs and the costs that add up. Somehow I thought I could get everything for roundabout 120€ and then the Dia enters the stage of interest and to make it worse, there exists a pretty Amber-Version.

However the feeling to invest that amount of money for a pen and roughly the same to ditch the 10€-nib and 50$ on top for getting a preferred stub from fnibs is getting out of hand, as much as I’d like to buy all that.

I want too many things at once and now I can’t decide what to ditch for my purchase.

Maybe I should ditch my greed instead. However not buying the Amber-Version seems to be a missed opportunity, since they are limited.

Odds right now are in favor of just getting the Amber version and save the nib replacements for later, since they will be readily available later on while the special Edition will probably be sold-out by then. Maybe I’ll add a 1.1mm Stub for a small price and have a nice writer, even if it’s not a fancy gold-nib – yet.

Decision-paralysis.

My real dilemma comes from the nibs and the costs that add up. Somehow I thought I could get everything for roundabout 120€ and then the Dia enters the stage of interest and to make it worse, there exists a pretty Amber-Version.

However the feeling to invest that amount of money for a pen and roughly the same to ditch the 10€-nib and 50$ on top for getting a preferred stub from fnibs is getting out of hand, as much as I’d like to buy all that.

I want too many things at once and now I can’t decide what to ditch for my purchase.

Maybe I should ditch my greed instead. However not buying the Amber-Version seems to be a missed opportunity, since they are limited.

Odds right now are in favor of just getting the Amber version and save the nib replacements for later, since they will be readily available later on while the special Edition will probably be sold-out by then. Maybe I’ll add a 1.1mm Stub for a small price and have a nice writer, even if it’s not a fancy gold-nib – yet.

If you want a gold nib option for a Kaweco, it's expensive. The same is true if you want a 14c (or 18c) JoWo for an Edison.

Getting a gold replacement nib does not guarantee you the writing quality that you'd expect from the start, for the extra expense of buying gold. I have had two 18c #6 JoWo nibs that cost me (each) the same price of a "complete" Japanese Sailor 1911-M or a Pro-Gear Slim with a 14c nib. These gold JoWos worked beautifully from the beginning because the shop "tuned" the nibs before shipping the nibs out.

My writing experience with gold nibs was not that much different than a pen with a "good" stainless JoWo nib, but I like gold.

That said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a gold nib.

I did not feel greedy because I preferred (& I still do) a yellow gold nib. When I was in school in Eastern Europe, we all had to write with fountain pens. They had horrible chromed steel nibs. I made up my mind then that when I get a job, I'll buy a "real" pen with a gold nib. A part of my first pay-cheque went towards a Pelikan 400NN with a 14c OBB. A real jewel of a pen that served me throughout my career plus some more years.

If you want gold nibs, look also at what Japanese companies like Sailor have on offer.

Best of luck in making your decision at what to buy.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

I will mention my 14K Kaweco nib is an absolute nail from a feel perspective. If I write ham-fisted I can get it to lay down heavier ink, but it is a forced action. Out of all my gold nibs it feels the least like a gold nib, as I always feel gold nibs mute nib vibrations vs. steel nibs. Not so much with this nib. Maybe some day I’ll get a nibmeister to take a look, but per my post above, it has no writing flaws.

Well I got quite a nice offer for a GvFC Classic Pernambuk which cost me little more than the Amber Dia2, so I decided to go in that direction and accepted. I’m pretty excited now since I didn’t expect to get my hands on one very soon, but it was also on my list.

So what about my Brass Sport? Since the Dia got outmatched the goal is now very clear: I think I will get a nice stub from fnibs next month.

Although it took an unexpected turn, it ends my quest and I’m truly thankful to all who helped me.

Edited by MGLX

• 1 month later...

I think it’s time for a little update. I just got the 1.1mm calligraphy nib. It took me a while though, because we were moving and with Corona still alive and kicking, it wasn’t an easy task, but nevertheless, it arrived today and I am more than happy about it. Especially at a price point of roughly 10€ I can’t complain at all.

I’m sure it’s more a stub than italic (maybe cursive italic?) but nevertheless it’s better than the 1.5mm variant and significantly better than the 2.3mm skipping nightmare. With Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue it’s on the drier side, but not overly so. It shows some nice line variation without being too broad.

In fact, it seems to be such a nice writer - for my taste at least - that I have no further thoughts about purchasing a gold nib.

It may be that I am indeed lucky and got a very good sample, but anyways, it found a new home in my Brass Sport, which just got promoted from a backup pen to something I grab to write with. :)

Regarding the Dia 2, it’s still on my list, but not the top priority right now. I may come back to it on later occasion.

Glad to hear your plans are working out.

If you do get to owning a Dia2 you will most likely be pleased. I used two of them as my knock-about "Office Pens", eventually swapping out their ss. nibs for 14c. units (one by one).

The Kaweco gold nibs from (Bock) did not perform very well, as factory nibs.

Each nib in turn was sent out for customization to a stub format. Only then did I start enjoying those nibs. I still have these stubs, not in Dia2s but in Kaweco "Special" FP pens. I gave away my Dia2s.