Ink T O D - Show Us Your Murky Inks

amberleadavis

13 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Have you tried scanning it?

Thank you for the suggestion! I've now edited and appended scanned images to my earlier post.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• Karmachanic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Thank you for the suggestion! I've now edited and appended scanned images to my earlier post.

I liked it enough from the first pics that I put a bottle into today's basket ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Question: Is an ink compatible with this thread if it applies a murky Gray-Green...but dries to a soft light-brown color with chromo-shading reminiscent of the "Sailor Manyo/studio" line of inks?
Or does it have to stay murky to qualify?

Because I think I'm in love with this ink...it's pure murky magic!

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

1 hour ago, Detman101 said:

Question: Is an ink compatible with this thread if it applies a murky Gray-Green...but dries to a soft light-brown color with chromo-shading reminiscent of the "Sailor Manyo/studio" line of inks?
Or does it have to stay murky to qualify?

Because I think I'm in love with this ink...it's pure murky magic!

Post it.  If it's not murky enough, someone will be by later to beat you severely about the head and face with a wet noodle. ;)  Or we'll just go "ooo, pretty" and call it good.

15 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Post it.  If it's not murky enough, someone will be by later to beat you severely about the head and face with a wet noodle. ;)  Or we'll just go "ooo, pretty" and call it good.

Hmmm...I will have to take pics of it when it's fresh on the paper and murky.
When it dries it's a light-brown beauty.

*runs off to find his crappy cellphone...and shield...just in case...*

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

50 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Hmmm...I will have to take pics of it when it's fresh on the paper and murky.
When it dries it's a light-brown beauty.

*runs off to find his crappy cellphone...and shield...just in case...*

:D

Okay...here's hopefully a few shots that are murky enough ink when going down...but a beauty when drying out/coming up.

Penbbs - #309 "Guilin"

First a shot of it going down on the paper murky-like...

Penbbs - Guilin - Murk1.jpg

Another shot of it going down with flash...

Penbbs - Guilin - Murk1flash.jpg

And the ink after it's dried out.

Penbbs - Guilin - Murk2.jpg

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

:D  Seems murky enough to me.  No wet noodle lashing for you. ;)  Instead, ooo, pretty! :)

2 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:D  Seems murky enough to me.  No wet noodle lashing for you. ;)  Instead, ooo, pretty! :)

YAAAAAY!!!
tumblr_o4xddiHsSL1qhub34o1_500.gifv

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, mizgeorge said:

I liked it enough from the first pics that I put a bottle into today's basket ;)

I like "today's basket"!
- It's once you get into multiples (or those sneaky extra early morning baskets!) that we start to have concern that the "hobby" might be going too far! 

😀

12 hours ago, Detman101 said:

Okay...here's hopefully a few shots that are murky enough ink when going down...but a beauty when drying out/coming up.

Penbbs - #309 "Guilin"

First a shot of it going down on the paper murky-like...

Penbbs - Guilin - Murk1.jpg

Another shot of it going down with flash...

Penbbs - Guilin - Murk1flash.jpg

And the ink after it's dried out.

Penbbs - Guilin - Murk2.jpg

Murkity murk murk murk. This one has been on my want list. Hope you don't mind - I artificially increased the exposure 1.5 stops on your last image.

guilin.jpg

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

6 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Murkity murk murk murk. This one has been on my want list. Hope you don't mind - I changed the artificially increased the exposure 1.5 stops on your last image.

guilin.jpg

No problem at all! My phone is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E!!!
I'm loving this ink...it's wet, but somehow dry. Like...it goes down wet, but it holds together enough to still provide an actual XF or XXF line if you have a nib that small. I guess it's "Watery" but has super high surface tension?
I am REALLY curious how this ink is formulated and how they pulled this off!!!!
🤔

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I received a couple more inks from Birmingham Pens today, Sandstone and Lichen Watermark.  like many of their other inks, they are difficult to pigeonhole.  Sandstone is a yellow -sepia/khakicolor-I thought it might be too light to read when I ordered it, however, it shows up nicely on white and cream colored paper.  The Lichen Watermark is a murky green, a lighter shade of Birmingham’s Pincushion Moss, which is one of their nano pigment inks.  Both Sandstone and Lichen were quite water resistant after 30 seconds of covering them with a puddle of water.  Birmingham doesn’t get much attention on FPN, but my experience with their inks continues to be very positive.  They create interesting colors, are very reasonably priced, and many have unadvertised water resistance. I have had two of their nano pigment inks in two pens continuously for 4 months, with no issues, and they seemed to clean even more easily than a number of other inks I use.  I tried taking pics, but I need to play around with the light a bit more to get more accurate colors, so I’ve attached a couple of links.

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/sandstone

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/lichen-watermark

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/pincushion-moss

42 minutes ago, Carrau said:

I received a couple more inks from Birmingham Pens today, Sandstone and Lichen Watermark.  like many of their other inks, they are difficult to pigeonhole.  Sandstone is a yellow -sepia/khakicolor-I thought it might be too light to read when I ordered it, however, it shows up nicely on white and cream colored paper.  The Lichen Watermark is a murky green, a lighter shade of Birmingham’s Pincushion Moss, which is one of their nano pigment inks.  Both Sandstone and Lichen were quite water resistant after 30 seconds of covering them with a puddle of water.  Birmingham doesn’t get much attention on FPN, but my experience with their inks continues to be very positive.  They create interesting colors, are very reasonably priced, and many have unadvertised water resistance. I have had two of their nano pigment inks in two pens continuously for 4 months, with no issues, and they seemed to clean even more easily than a number of other inks I use.  I tried taking pics, but I need to play around with the light a bit more to get more accurate colors, so I’ve attached a couple of links.

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/sandstone

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/lichen-watermark

https://www.birminghampens.com/products/pincushion-moss

Both of those look like very interesting colors. Do you think that, given the inks of theirs that you have, the writing sample photos on their website are accurate portrayals of what the ink actually looks like? (I realize they only have writing sample photos for a few of their inks. The swatches are nice to look at and I imagine they are great marketing material for many but they are mainly just frustrating to me - I want to know what the ink actually looks like when writing!)

3 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Both of those look like very interesting colors. Do you think that, given the inks of theirs that you have, the writing sample photos on their website are accurate portrayals of what the ink actually looks like? (I realize they only have writing sample photos for a few of their inks. The swatches are nice to look at and I imagine they are great marketing material for many but they are mainly just frustrating to me - I want to know what the ink actually looks like when writing!)

I have about a dozen or so of their inks, a couple of the old inks no longer available, and mostly the newer inks from the past six months.  I had a problem with one of the older inks, Celestial Blue, being much less saturated than the swatch, the rest matched up well.  Of the new inks, the only one I’ve received which didn’t match the swatch well was Southern Portal, which looked just like their Saltwater Taffy swatch.  I let them know about that one, and I suspect there was an ink label mixup, as the color was dead on, and I believe there was another FPN member who had the same thing happen.  To their credit they immediately offered me a replacement of any ink I wished.  Of the other inks I have, they all resemble the swatches closely.  Oddly, the only ink I have that has a writing sample is the Sandstone, which looks accurate compared to their webpage.  I haven’t tested them for the sheening demonstrated in many of their new inks.  I noticed they’ve added writing samples on a couple of types of paper for some of their inks, although not for all as of yet.  

The inks I have are:

Sandstone, Lichen Watermark, Cold Steel, Aluminum Oxide, Weathered Brick, Alternator Crimson

Nano Pigment Ink:  Black Ice, Chimney Soot, Pincushion Moss, Iron Girder

Older Inks:  Root Beer, Waterfront Dusk, Smoked Iron

Inks I gave away:  Southern Portal, Celestial Blue

All the inks I have have good water resistance, and I haven’t  any behavior problems with them used in a variety of pens and nib sizes.  In particular, the nano pigment inks I’ve found are amazingly lubricated on the page.  The nano pigment inks are more expensive than their regular line. With all the inks they have, I’m sure there are some which will not meet someone’s standards/expectations, but I’ve been pleased with the majority of their inks I’ve tried, being only disappointed with color and saturation on two, one of which was probably a mislabel.  Regarding the writing samples, it looks like they’re only being shown on their “Crisp Inks.”  Perhaps you could contact them and ask if they plan to eventually offer writing samples on other inks as well.

Their customer service is terrific, almost always responding in 24 hrs to questions.  Because of their company’s size, it takes a couple of days for them to get their orders out, but they usually arrive by their basic FedEx shipping in 2-3 days on the US East Coast, with free US shipping at $40.  

u

3 hours ago, Carrau said:

I received a couple more inks from Birmingham Pens today

Thank you for bringing these inks to my attention; there are several that catch my eye.  They don't ship to the UK, however, which is probably a good thing as I already have more than enough in to last 20 years.

Add lightness and simplicate.

5 hours ago, Carrau said:

I have about a dozen or so of their inks, a couple of the old inks no longer available, and mostly the newer inks from the past six months.  I had a problem with one of the older inks, Celestial Blue, being much less saturated than the swatch, the rest matched up well.  Of the new inks, the only one I’ve received which didn’t match the swatch well was Southern Portal, which looked just like their Saltwater Taffy swatch.  I let them know about that one, and I suspect there was an ink label mixup, as the color was dead on, and I believe there was another FPN member who had the same thing happen.  To their credit they immediately offered me a replacement of any ink I wished.  Of the other inks I have, they all resemble the swatches closely.  Oddly, the only ink I have that has a writing sample is the Sandstone, which looks accurate compared to their webpage.  I haven’t tested them for the sheening demonstrated in many of their new inks.  I noticed they’ve added writing samples on a couple of types of paper for some of their inks, although not for all as of yet.  

The inks I have are:

Sandstone, Lichen Watermark, Cold Steel, Aluminum Oxide, Weathered Brick, Alternator Crimson

Nano Pigment Ink:  Black Ice, Chimney Soot, Pincushion Moss, Iron Girder

Older Inks:  Root Beer, Waterfront Dusk, Smoked Iron

Inks I gave away:  Southern Portal, Celestial Blue

All the inks I have have good water resistance, and I haven’t  any behavior problems with them used in a variety of pens and nib sizes.  In particular, the nano pigment inks I’ve found are amazingly lubricated on the page.  The nano pigment inks are more expensive than their regular line. With all the inks they have, I’m sure there are some which will not meet someone’s standards/expectations, but I’ve been pleased with the majority of their inks I’ve tried, being only disappointed with color and saturation on two, one of which was probably a mislabel.  Regarding the writing samples, it looks like they’re only being shown on their “Crisp Inks.”  Perhaps you could contact them and ask if they plan to eventually offer writing samples on other inks as well.

Their customer service is terrific, almost always responding in 24 hrs to questions.  Because of their company’s size, it takes a couple of days for them to get their orders out, but they usually arrive by their basic FedEx shipping in 2-3 days on the US East Coast, with free US shipping at $40.  

u

Thank you very much for the overview! I really appreciate their effort to reflect local color and culture, especially since Pittsburgh is such an interesting city. Thanks for the free shipping tip - I didn't order from them previously mainly because of their shipping and, given the free shipping threshold, I will probably order some inks from them when it's reasonable to travel again and I visit family in the US. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2021 at 9:32 PM, pgcauk said:

Following up the Hunter Green with Sailor Manyo Shirakashi, the two (with HG dilute) really are very close, with Hunter a touch more grey/brown and Shirakashi a hint more green. Both wash out blue! I would say of these two and Rikyu Cha, you would only need one; Hunter if you like saturation, Ricky for splash value or Shirakashi as the gentle version.

Hunter is it Shirakashi.jpg

Adding Shirakashi to the list!
Beautiful...just beautiful!
Will pick up Shirakashi and Nadeshiko this week.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 12/28/2020 at 4:08 PM, pgcauk said:

This adds nothing, but slightly improved execution? . . . and I do like to add a splash of orange to the muddy fields of Flanders!

Inks of the Great War V.jpg

Oh, that Kokeiro looks alluring! Yellow greens is a whole 'nother territory!

I like what the Muschiato is doing here.