Noodler's Kiowa Pecan - (Mostly) Written Review

TheVintagelife

This is the second brown ink I am reviewing together with the Vaikhari - it is a nice medium brown from Noodler's - called Kiowa Pecan. I haven't had much good luck with Noodler's inks - for one reason or the other, most of them havent worked well for me. This one though, is probably the Noodler's that I like the most and gives me least trouble.

fpn_1584964115__kiowapecan_pg1.jpg

In comparison with Vaikhari and Iro Yama Guri. N-KP is lighter than both , though some shades are very similar to Vaikhari - However, the Vaikhari has auburn/ burnt sienna tinges on the lighter shades and Kiowa Pecan's lighter notes tend toward golden browns.

fpn_1584964318__brown_swatch_review_smal

Dry times are on the longer side; about 30 secs on these scrubbies with a Bock F nib. But real life writing seems to dry much faster.

fpn_1584964366__kiowa_pecan_pg2_small.jp

Overall: I really like the color and how the ink behaves with most papers. the shading is beautiful, encompassing a wide variety of browns. This is a great ink from Noodler's.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• RJS

• Intensity

• RetroRamen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful rust coloured ink. It reminds me of Diamine's ancient copper. On the plus side it's bullet proof...

Sorry, that Noodler's ink give you much trouble, I find the "troubles" give them character :)

• 1 month later...

I got a sample of this ink.... I'm not sure if you've got the right ink....

Kiowa Pecan 1.jpeg

Thanks for a nice review. I recently purchased this and Golden Brown, I like the Kiowa Pecan but the Golden Brown is too light for me.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 5 months later...

The choice of fountain pen has direct affect on the visual aspect of the ink. Try the same ink in different pens to see if the colour changes.

My Kiowa pecan looks exactly as reviewed by this member and the colour is just awesome!

How this helps.

The choice of fountain pen has direct affect on the visual aspect of the ink. Try the same ink in different pens to see if the colour changes.

My Kiowa pecan looks exactly as reviewed by this member and the colour is just awesome!

How this helps.

I am aware of that :)

It might also be that it's a photograph ;)

I am aware of that :)

It might also be that it's a photograph ;)

Yes, Photos are much better at representing the actual color of an ink.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

As opposed to scans? I'm curious what the debate is here. Photos are clearly more influenced by lighting conditions, but it is hard to picture sheen in a scan.

Edited by RJS

As opposed to scans? I'm curious what the debate is here. Photos are clearly more influenced by lighting conditions, but it is hard to picture sheen in a scan.

I wanted to say that maybe the colour has been deformed by the lighting. The colour I see is rusty orange, akin to Diamine's Ancient Copper....

The Kiowa Pecan I have is pure brown..... and I posted a scan to emphasize my point. However, the Original poster, didn't respond. So I wouldn't know.... :)

Scans are generally made with cool white light and can look different from in-person viewing in typical ambient light conditions. Most of the time my photographs of inks are closer to reality than my scans. Some inks come out quite accurately on my scans, while others are too shifted toward a particular hue compared to regular illumination. That's where it's useful in a review to note personal impressions of scan vs reality and photograph vs. reality. In particular, brown, olive, red, pink, and orange inks for some reason have more trouble with scans in my experience.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Yes, always worth noting when a scan or photograph doesn't accurately represent what you see in person. Scans aren't perfect, but from my experience they're miles more accurate than photographs, and easier to look at when comparing inks because the paper looks more neutral. YMMV.

Highly depends on camera in question. Large sensor cameras of recent years (like APS-C and full-frame) with proper illumination and editing can yield better and more realistic representations than scans. Cell phone pictures -- sure, I wouldn't necessarily trust them, especially in inferior light conditions. For some inks, scans give wildly inaccurate color representation. My Canon scanner cannot manage Diamine Coral or PenBBS Rose Quartz, for example. The inks look completely wrong on the scans, not even close to reality.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

You hit the nail on the head with the mention of proper illumination- absolutely key, and not easily achieved. Throw more money at a scanner, and those improve too, of course.