Montblanc Solitaire 925 Sterling Silver 164 Ballpoint Pen Fake

dicks390

Hello my friends:

I hope you are all managing well during this very difficult time in our lives. The photos are of a pen I bought on ebay several years ago. The pen was about $31 and even though I knew that it was a knock-off at that price, I bought it because it looked nice. Anyway, in comparing it to pictures of the real Montblanc Solitaire 925 STERLING Silver 164 Ballpoint Pen MASTERPIECE DESIGN, I can't tell the differences between my pen and the real one. So I am curious about this and wanted to pass it by you experts. Thanks.

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_7625.jpg

IMG_7612.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dicks390

• gerigo

• FredRydr

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello dicks390. Welcome to our little corner of the universe!

We are of course very flattered you think we are experts, however, we experts in fountain pens!

The gold trimming on the ring looks like it was painted on. The AG 925 is not evenly stamped. It certainly wreaks of fake.

The gold trimming on the ring looks like it was painted on. The AG 925 is not evenly stamped. It certainly wreaks of fake.

Thank you.

Hello dicks390. Welcome to our little corner of the universe!

We are of course very flattered you think we are experts, however, we experts in fountain pens!

Yes, it is a ballpoint, but I know that in identifying MB fountain pens as fake or not, the lettering and hallmarks are compared in an effort to spot the fakes.

I did a magnet test and found that there is virtually no attraction between the pen and the magnet which would possibly indicate the pen was real silver.

In further research, I found that the serial number IW1666858 is commonly used in fakes. Also, I found that there are a few other metals that do not stick to a magnet and can be made to look like silver. Of course, this pen could be just silver plated.

Allowing for cutting all corners in materials and labor to create this counterfeit, how do they make a profit for only $31? It looks better than the $40 Hemingway rollerball!

Yes, it is a ballpoint, but I know that in identifying MB fountain pens as fake or not, the lettering and hallmarks are compared in an effort to spot the fakes.

Not quite true. While people debate over whether the resin has a red glow or whether the PIX trademark is in the right place, there are 2 immediate telltale signs of an authentic Montblanc fountain pen. The nib and feed and also the filling system. The counterfeiters can get away with the rest but not these. So fountain pens are MUCH easier to authenticate.

Allowing for cutting all corners in materials and labor to create this counterfeit, how do they make a profit for only $31? It looks better than the $40 Hemingway rollerball!

Yes indeed, this is a very nice looking ballpoint. If this were real, it would sell for $400 or more.

The telltale for me is in the machining of the grooved lines, and of the lettering on the rings. Montblanc manufacturing is precise, and the letters on the middle ring would not be getting cut off at the edge of the ring, and the grooves in the pen would be machined perfectly rather than having irregular ends. The plating (or perhaps painting) of the gold on the rings is also atrociously done.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Thank you, that was the type of thing I was looking for from folks who know Montblanc pens in general and their manufacturing standards.

Well, if it is a fake, they've certainly put some work into it.

But, the close-up shots of the rings and the workmanship on the cap jewel are unpleasant viewing, which I'd not expect to see on the genuine article. As others have mentioned, I'd guess it is probably suspect, due to these defects.

If it writes well, then just keep using it - but, if you're thinking of selling it, it would be wise to be transparent about the suspected defects. If you live anywhere near a dealer, you could take it in and ask, they should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Good luck.

Well, if it is a fake, they've certainly put some work into it.

But, the close-up shots of the rings and the workmanship on the cap jewel are unpleasant viewing, which I'd not expect to see on the genuine article. As others have mentioned, I'd guess it is probably suspect, due to these defects.

If it writes well, then just keep using it - but, if you're thinking of selling it, it would be wise to be transparent about the suspected defects. If you live anywhere near a dealer, you could take it in and ask, they should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Good luck.

Thank you. If I listed it, I would certainly point out that it was an attempt to replicate the real thing. My fear would be that some unscrupulous person would purchase, and then re-list it as real.