Morbus Curiositas

Visconti Sepia

F9KvwLHl.jpg

Visconti is nicely saturate brown ink supplied by Visconti Fountain Pens of Florence Italy. Florence Italy of course is a beautiful city known for it ‘s rich culture fashion and design (forget Nike buy real shoes in Italy)

o6nP4j5h.jpg

Visconti Sepia ink

Gyh2xXLl.jpg

Visconti Sepia is a well behaving ink. It is a nicely saturated medium dark brown ink. It is a medium shader as well. Drying time is not superfast but with 15 seconds very acceptable. There is only very little show through but feathering and bleeding are absent

points 1-5 1 = :( 5= :)

Fountain Pens: Online best Writer / Online Best Writer 1.8 Italic Nib

Paper: Waldmühle Reflex Premium

Drying time: acceptable 15 seconds points 3

Flow: very smooth points: 5

Lubrication: smooth in both pens points: 5

Bleeding: absent) Points 5

Shading: medium points: 3

Waterproof: Survives a drop but not a bath points: 3

Package: Nice bottle points: 3 ( see my comment down below)

F9KvwLHm.jpg xztXTdkm.jpg

The bottle is beautifully shaped…

What else did you expect it is an Italian design from Florence :wub:

Still I have mixed feelings about it. The design is so very beautiful, but it is made of plastic😒

That to me is kind of a no go.

Such a beautiful ink deserves a glass bottle especially when the design is so lovely and Italy is famous for it’s Venetian Glass of Murano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_glass

Tipp for filling your Fountain Pen

The Bottle makes it easy to fill your Fountain Pen even when the bottle is nearly empty.

There is one aspect to take in consideration though. Because of it’s shape it seems a little top heavy. Since I am quite a clumsy pillock with an unrivalled talent of making a mess (spastic fantastic). I have found a way to safely fill my Fountain Pens. I put the bottle in the cover preventing it fro tupping over (see photo above right)

Sit down and enjoy now comes the beauty part

hzpU9LQh.jpg

This Ink really is a smooth writer

KTOenh4h.jpg

Lovely brown with a little reddish brown hue

o4iECiKh.jpg

dKWQx8Nl.jpg

Watertest

q5fREpBl.jpg

No problem if you just drop a drop of water on it. Just dry quickly with kitchentowel It is not waterproof though

Availability

La Couronne du Comte I guess Dennis and Rik would even travel to the moon to get it for you (just pay them a million or 2) Well it is safe to say that they do almost everything to satisfy their customers… Considering

http://www.lacouronneducomte

Bankers have Rothschild Ink lovers have the Goulet Pen Company. Rachel and Brian carry the almost* largest assortment of ink on earth an it's near surroundings

http://www.gouletpens.com

(*almost Dear Amberlea Davis carries the largest assortment in the universe but is not a seller

Larry Post of Australia is a Great Supplier of Stationary and Artist Equipments. They carry a lot of lovely Inks

http://www.larrypost.com.au/

The same applies to Singapore based Arters of the utterly friendly Yitpeng and WeetekOng

http://arters.com.sg

Conclusion

This ink is a lovely well saturate brown. Love the colour and the fact that it is such a smooth writer. The sheening is not strong but it is there.

Such a pity that that beautiful bottle is made of plastic. If that beautifully shaped bottle was made of glass it would have been perfect.

Of course that must not be Murano glass since that would drive up the price severely.

The price now is only € 10, (at LCC) for 60 ml! which is a very very fair price not to say it is a bargain for this lovely brown ink

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• lapis

• Uncial

• Jarod

Thanks for your lovely review. I have a bottle of this nice ink that I have neglected, not because of any defect on the inks' part, but of my habit of reaching for Sailor inks when a pen needs a fill.

So you have reminded me of something excellent that I already have. And will soon be needing to refill my Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme which is nearly always paired with brown ink. I know what it will get next.

Thanks for your lovely review. I have a bottle of this nice ink that I have neglected, not because of any defect on the inks' part, but of my habit of reaching for Sailor inks when a pen needs a fill.

So you have reminded me of something excellent that I already have. And will soon be needing to refill my Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme which is nearly always paired with brown ink. I know what it will get next.

You’re welcome White Lotus glad you liked it.

Funnily my Wife owns a Pelikan M200 with a swapped 14k EF nib ( Courtesy of LCC)

I just filled it up... guess what with what ink....

Sailor Jentle Brown....

Therefore ai filled a Diplomat Excellence with Visconti Sepia :)

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Very nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I got this ink for Christmas. I like it, and many other brown inks.

I now own the current Visconti ink lineup. I’ve only used Purple (my first Visconti ink), Sepia, Blue and Green.

Great review for a great ink.

Posted Image

Thank you for the detailed ink review, Morbus Curiositas. I laughed when I read below :D :thumbup:

(forget Nike buy real shoes in Italy)

I got this ink for Christmas. I like it, and many other brown inks.

I now own the current Visconti ink lineup. I’ve only used Purple (my first Visconti ink), Sepia, Blue and Green.

Great review for a great ink.

I only have Visconti Sepia and Red...

will test the red soon

Edited by Morbus Curiositas

Thank you for the detailed ink review, Morbus Curiositas. I laughed when I read below :D :thumbup:

Thanks but in my over 60 pair of shoes collection there is a very nice pair of Bally of Switseland sneakers too much nicer and more elegant than Nike :D

Plastic vs Glass - look vintage. This style bottle was made of glass, and in a larger size besides. It had a plastic base for increased stability.

• 3 months later...

Love Visconti Sepia, it's such a great ink. But...what is going on with your Lie de The? Mine has no green tint to it.

Thank you for the review!

Are Visconti Sepia and Visconti Brown the same ink please?

Yep, one and the same!

Only that when the "Brown" (and other colours prior to "Purple") emerged originally, it was in a glass bottle in the much more beautiful plus practical cube-shaped thick, sturdy and artistic cardboard box. The new plastic bottles in the plastic veil-things are IMO a degradation.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nice color but really not much of a sepia. More of an ocher brown. Sepia should be grey-brown since it was based on cuttlefish ink.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you for the nicely done review, I like the careful layout, it's clear you took time to set it up.

I agree with you on the bottle, it's nice, it would have been nicer made of glass... they used to be made of glass!

A pity I never got one of the early bottles...

I also agree with Honeybadgers, it's far too red to be called sepia...

not my sort of brown as it is, but thank you for the review, particularly the colour comparisons

Sepia can be a fairly broad range though. Old sepia tinted photographs can have a very strong red element and then there is the type of sepia that had a strong purple tone which can be interesting.