Two New Danitrio Maki-E Pens

jandrese

Recently picked up these two super cool Danitrio maki-e fountain pens. Where I shop, Dromgooles in Houston, I have a very large selection of urushi fountain pens. I considered the new and very well made Sailor tamenuri midore-dame King of Pen but rejected it for a variety of reasons.

49645797148_0ebee1ae64_k.jpgIMG_4295 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Among those reasons was the there were other pens I was more interested in. These pens I purchased were certainly among them!

49645797313_f03b247498_k.jpgIMG_4296 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49645797383_7cbb0af8dd_k.jpgIMG_4297 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49646607262_1997e59a91_k.jpgIMG_4298 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The first is a sho-hakkaku (short/small octogon) based maki-e piece by Hironobu, who is the son of Okazaki. Some of my favorite Danitrio pens are by Okazaki including my sublime shu tamenuri flat top Mikado so I was happy to collect the son's work too. The theme is Aka Fuji (red Mt. Fuji). It is really very beautiful and features many different finishes. The cap base is shu tamenuri whereas the body is kuro-roiro. There are at least 5 different metal powders and no less than 3 different colors of urushi in the maki-work. Then there is the rankaku or egg shells for the snowy peak. The nib is a medium flame decoration 18k piece with plastic feed. Ink is held in a CC. It is a smooth and consistent writer.

49652644571_8cd54d4193_k.jpgIMG_4307 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49652107428_213d7dd59b_k.jpgIMG_4306 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

The second pen is really something special in my collection. Sure, the maki-e work is very nice, but the colors are really very unusual. The base of the Hyotan (gourd) shaped pen is all of rose pink urushi. Not manly perhaps but I love it for its uniqueness and because my daughter really digs it. The colorful maki-e features a stylized mythical Asian phoenix. There is yellow, red, orange, black, and green colored urushi in the flamboyant bird. There appears to be only one type of gold powder used in the design. Wish there was some information on the design, there never is, but I'm interested and my searches thus far have not turned up any answers. Probably a very specific reference to a tale involving a particular phoenix. The artist is another new one to me and one I am very happy to collect, that is, Yuhaku. The nib is a broad 18k with plastic feed and CC filler. The flame design nib is spectacular, it's an amazing writer.

49652095718_c02ad80280_k.jpgIMG_4305 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

49652633096_72670ae0b6_b.jpgIMG_4304 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Super happy to have these cool new Danitrio pens.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• JohnEbach

• my63

• MHBru

Really nice pens! Congratulations on great additions to your collection.

Dromgoole's is terrific. I can't say enough good about the people, not to mention their stock of pens.

Congratulations..and enjoy using your new Fujisan along with the Phoenix in pink..a very cool color......

Article re the color Pink in The Atlantic August 2013: Pink Wasn't Always Girly

A short history of a complex color

https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/08/pink-wasnt-always-girly/278535/

Fred

Thanks, I will enjoy. Pink is great. I remember reading that article years ago.

Beautiful! I especially like the Aka Fuji. I've wanted a pen with rankaku ever since I saw the Namiki Emperor with the crane design, but I think they've stopped making it...

• 6 months later...

wow.. both are exquisite. Write memorably with them... I'm particularly attracted to the sho-hakkaku... (FYI... I recently retired so not at Rev anymore. Hope all is well at your end)

wow.. both are exquisite. Write memorably with them... I'm particularly attracted to the sho-hakkaku... (FYI... I recently retired so not at Rev anymore. Hope all is well at your end)

Thanks! Retired sounds great, congrats!

• 2 weeks later...