Fine Pens That Take Pilot G2 Refill (Without Adapting)

Like so many of us, I like the Pilot G2 rollerballs. But is there a fine pen that takes this refill without having to pull out the Exacto knife, tape or glue bottle to adapt it? I’m searching for a pen I can use at a business meeting that has a bit of weight to it (literally and figuratively). I would prefer a twist or push button pen (capless) but would also consider a capped rollerball.

Current favorite pen: Montblanc 144 Meisterstuck purchased at Art Brown in 1984. After decades, every part has been replaced except the nib. Still a gorgeous writing instrument, rock-solid reliable, gives me hours of pleasure to use.

Current favorite ink: Colorverse Supernovs

Current favorite paper: Romeo notepads

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• Erik Dalton

• Anderglan

• RNHC

IMHO, you want to avoid "modification".

"Adaption" can work without any intrusion --- e.g, add the G2's spring, put it into the barrel, then the G2 refill.

I have two LAMY rollerballs filled exactly that way with G2 refills plus spring, works like a charm :)

all välgång
Alexander W.–G.

:excl: I have to add: IDK whether the capless LAMY rollerballs would accept a PILOT G2 refill. --- I've tested my little MacGyverism merely with LAMY rollerballs *with* cap; that are those that take the earlier M61 and M62 and the most recent M63 refills.

all välgång
Alexander W.–G.

The Pilot Metropolitan rollerball is an inexpensive option. The snap cap makes it convenient for note taking. I used one in quite a few meetings before I gifted it to a co-worker.

My personal favorite is the Sunderland Machine Works MK1. It’s a more expensive ($85) machined pen that utilizes a unique thread-on cap. It is a nice looking pen that is comfortable to write with. As for refills, the MK1 accepts the Pilot G2 (drop-in) and Montblanc Rollerball and Fineliner (screw-in). No modification needed for either refill.

I use G-2 rollerball refills in my Waterman Expert and Waterman Carene’. They are a perfect fit.

The Pilot G-2 will fit the CaranDAsche Lemans rollerball, it also fits the Sheaffer Intensity rollerball, and theWaldmann rollerball I was able to get in in one of the earlier Montblanc Noblesse roller balls.

Secundum Artem

Not sure if you consider these "fine pens" but:

- Urban Survival Gear TiScribe Bolt

- Tactile Turn Click and Bolt std length

- Karas Kustoms Bolt and Retrakt

- TiArto EDC

Some years ago my wife brought me home a Monteverde rollerball pen that takes the G2 with no problems.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Wow, this is the longest list yet of pens that take a G-2 rollerball refill. Let’s keep this going..

I've been looking at some pens by Machine Era. They have some nice looking machined pens that take G2 refills. Prices are reasonable for machined pens.

Waterman Hemisphere. I simply unscrewed the barrel and dropped in the G2 refill. It really is that easy.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The Cadillac of g2 refill accepting pens is the waterman Charleston rollerball. Its a beautiful pen that feels great in the hand

Vintage-Waterman-Charleston-Rollerball-P

For capped pens, Waterman, Rotring 600, Ohto, and vintage Montblanc Slimline rollerball pens take G2 without modification.

For click pens, the only ones I found that take G2 are from independent boutique makers like Tactile Turn and Big I Design. Check out Kickstarter for G2 compatible click pens.

Edited by RNHC

Grafton Pen by Everyman, Refillable Metal Writing Pen, Versatile with Cartridges $35.00 & FREE Shipping

Comes in gold, rose gold, gunmetal, black, and silver. 100% anodized 6061 aluminum. Takes Bic Gel, Uniball Jetstream, Pilot G2, Fisher Space SPR4, Rite in the Rain, Monteverde Ballpoint, Parker Gel, and Parker Ballpoint cartridges.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q13Q4LZ

417%2BuKaMcLL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Edited by Drone

Staying with Pilot for a moment... The Pilot G2 Pro with chromed clip and jungle green or gray barrel is my go-to G2. $4.00 at JetPens. It is a big step up from the regular G2 pen.
26120.jpg?ba=middle%2Ccenter&balph=3&ble

The next step up is the Pilot G2 Limited metallic body gel pen. $11.75 at JetPens. I prefer the G2 Pro.

63116.jpg?ba=middle%2Ccenter&balph=3&ble

I don't want to divert this thread but I am interested in the Grafton pen which looks ideal for my needs. However when I looked at reviews, admittedly not recent ones, they were critical on some some internal plastic parts and threads.

Drone, I was wondering if you own one of these pens and can comment on how good they are now?

Will the Metropolitain Roller Ball except a Precise V5? Perhaps the gel is just as good, but Ive only experience with V7/V5.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Waterman pens were my go-to "luxury" rollerball pens since at least 2013 or 2014. If you go with Waterman, realize that you're not limited to just what's available right now, but look around eBay since a lot of Waterman models from the past couple decades were very nice. I love the Laureats, the Phileas (which was sold until about 10 years ago), and the Harmonie...but the Hemisphere is nice too.

Mind you, depending on which model you buy, you may or may not have to remove the black stopper at the back of the pen. Sometimes if you leave it in with the wrong model, the point protrudes too far which may be just ugly or worse, it may give a difficult time capping the pen.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

I like the Waterford platinum plated rollerballs with the G2 very well.

s-l640.jpg

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness