Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo - Written Review

TheVintagelife

Below is a written review of Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. The name stands for 'Moonlight' and is a teal leaning deep blue. I quite like this pen for work related writing (little though that is); but it is a tad unsaturated in quite a few of my pen, so not quite a favorite - I'd rather it was a tad darker - the Krishna Sea at night is a similar teal leaning blue, but one with lot more sheen and leans the other way on the saturation spectrum - the color is dense! I find it works best in a wet fine nib, though for this review I used a Sailor Sapporo with a B nib, to highlight the beautiful shading.

fpn_1583881756__pi_tsuki_yo_-_review.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheVintagelife

• inkstainedruth

• Intensity

• chromantic

Thanks for doing this review. I think mine is a little more blue-black but I got it recently and only used it once.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I, too, wanted/expected it to be darker and yours seems much "blue-er", as well, much nicer than the rather dull blue/grey I remember.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks for the review. I had tried a sample of this a few years ago after getting a letter someone had written (trading inks) and hadn't liked it because it ran more green-teal (it did however look splendid on the ivory paper when written in a Spenserian hand on the letter I got...).

I may now have to revisit this or try a newer sample -- because on my screen yours definitely looks bluer than I remembered -- to the point of me thinking now that this may be the substitute for MB Leo Tolstoy I've been looking for (KWZI Walks Over Vistula was close but a little too green).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Are there any comparisons out there between this and either (or both) of those that I can be pointed to?

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the review. I quite like the slightly off-blue character of this ink. It has a bit of a green undertone, that becomes most visible when you place it next to a true blue. It’s been a while since I used it - this review made be pull out the bottle again, and fill a pen with it.

It's probably the scanner, but what I see on my multiple devices from this one is too blue for the real thing. Mine is more teal and a bit more murky.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks for doing this review. I think mine is a little more blue-black but I got it recently and only used it once.

It's probably the scanner, but what I see on my multiple devices from this one is too blue for the real thing. Mine is more teal and a bit more murky.

Thanks for the review. I had tried a sample of this a few years ago after getting a letter someone had written (trading inks) and hadn't liked it because it ran more green-teal (it did however look splendid on the ivory paper when written in a Spenserian hand on the letter I got...).

I may now have to revisit this or try a newer sample -- because on my screen yours definitely looks bluer than I remembered -- to the point of me thinking now that this may be the substitute for MB Leo Tolstoy I've been looking for (KWZI Walks Over Vistula was close but a little too green).

ETA: Are there any comparisons out there between this and either (or both) of those that I can be pointed to?

I, too, wanted/expected it to be darker and yours seems much "blue-er", as well, much nicer than the rather dull blue/grey I remember.

Thanks for these comments. Having noted the consistent point that my review pic looks bluer than the real thing, I took another picture in direct sunlight. I think the problem was caused by the artificial LED light in which the original picture was taken. While I did white balance my camera to 4000K (the LED temperature) and further white balanced on the PC with reference to my paper - i think there were two problems - (a) LED lights are notorious for not being able to emit the full spectrum of light (about CRI 80 I think), and hence some colors become more prominent than others; and (B) I think setting the white balance to the paper was a mistake since maybe the paper was not pure white (atleast as the Lightroom software understands it). So, I took another picture in noon sunlight with sunlight white balance and no further adjustments in PC. I think this is more accurate. This pic also shows some faint sheen on the color blob (though there is still none in the writing sample). It is a little more teal now, but still predominantly blue in my opinion.

fpn_1584000860__pi_tsuki_yo_-_review_v2.

Do feel this is a more accurate interpretation of the color - main difference is probably the paper color being more accurately reflected; and the full spectrum of light falling on the page.

Thank you for sharing, I like your handwriting!

Thank you very much, though I personally think this is a poor effort. Thing is, my handwriting is usually quite compressed, and hence I find writing with anything broader than a medium very unnatural - with my natural hand 'a's, 'e's and 'o's would get opaque in a broad nib so I have try and enlarge all the letters, and then I find it difficult to keep the sizing consistent. I much prefer fines (XF in some European nibs; MFs for Japanese)

Hi Ruth, I think (from what I remember seeing in real life but from another pen-guy in my locality) the Walk over Vistula is quite a bit more saturated and has a very pronounced sheen. I think it is similar to the Krishna Sea at Night (another sheening teal-leaning blue-black that I do have); though the Krishna might lean more to green and is probably far denser in saturation. I am putting a writing sample of the Sea at night here (apologies this wasn't written on the same paper as the PI-TY- its an older entry). I have Walk Over Vistula undertaking a very long walk from Warsaw to my shelf right now. Will update when I do receive it.

fpn_1584002382__krishna_-_sea_at_nightv2

Edited by TheVintagelife

Thanks for taking the time to re-do the pic, that's the Tsuki-yo I remember.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Indeed the second photograph shows off the ink more accuratelythank you for taking your time to add it!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Interestingly enough, the new photo still looks bluer than the sample I got.

Starting to wonder whether it's a case of the cr@ppy absorbent paper in the Piccadilly sketchbooks I use for testing inks out -- it does very weird things to ink colors at times. Maybe I should give the ink another chance (one of my plans for while my husband is away is to reorganize the sample vial trays, so I will look and see if I still have the vial of Tsuki-yo, and if so, to try it again -- maybe in a different pen, and certainly on better paper).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for the review, I really like your handwriting! Consistent angle and shapes, makes me want to practice mine asap.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Excellent review! Thank you for taking all the time to do this review! I really enjoy the color and may just have to spring for a bottle.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Yeah, that's more the color of Tsuki-yo that I remembered from my sample. That's why I was so surprised at how much bluer it looked in this review.

• 5 weeks later...

As a Tsukiyonist, I'll welcome all positive reviews :P

Haha, same here. Although I am also a Shinkaist, a Konpekeist, an Asagaoist, not so much an Amairoist, and only recently an Ajisaist. I guess that makes me an Iroshizukuist - all the blues and blueblacks.