Corona Virus And Pen Show Exhibits

pen lady

Face mask may help too...

Wrong infection vector - only way a mask will help is if it's surgical (so not the vast majority bought in chemists around the world) and is worn by the person who's just sneezed.

Main vector is touching a surface an infected person has previously touched, then touching your eye, nose, mouth, etc - or just eating by hand after.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen lady

• corniche

• inkstainedruth

• Joyanne964

Well, this has been interesting. I've got about a month to try and find a bottle of hand sanitizer. Having that on the table is about the best I can do, that and keep my fingers crossed.

Wrong infection vector - only way a mask will help is if it's surgical (so not the vast majority bought in chemists around the world) and is worn by the person who's just sneezed.

Main vector is touching a surface an infected person has previously touched, then touching your eye, nose, mouth, etc - or just eating by hand after.

Surgical masks are what the vast majority buy at the chemists. N95/100 masks, which fit firmly around the nose/mouth/chin do offer protection from airborne transmission. Best to get the respirator version.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I just attended the LI show and only brought hand sanitizer for me and my partner to use. I didnt wanna leave it out because people have been stealing the stuff because of how hard it is to get. My father had a women steal his CVS store use bottle right from the pharmacy's counter a week ago. Also please note that turn outs will be low at these shows. LI's turnout on Saturday felt more like a slow Sunday afternoon. I decided to not attend the Sunday show especially after I found out NY issued a state of an emergency Saturday evening.

Edited by GoldenNibs

• 4 months later...

Is anyone else fearful of pen shows restarting? It seems like an ideal environment to pass the virus amongst people who may have travelled internationally, we are stood very close to each other, often in very crowded conditions, all handling the same items.

Some organizers will be more focused on high levels of attendance as opposed reducing the tables, increasing the spacing and limiting the numbers of attendees.

• 7 months later...

Hello - 

Now a year out since this public health emergency started - - With the vaccines starting to be used in the United States the question is = = = 

When do the pens shows start up?

I was looking at some dealer's website a week or two ago, and the Chicago Pen Show has tentatively rescheduled from May till the first weekend in October, but I don't know if there's any updated info, such as hotel room availability, as of yet.  I haven't been to that show before, but I'm really tempted to go if it actually happens, because I think that by then there MIGHT just be enough people who have gotten the vaccine for me to feel safe on a multiway out of state trip (I'm hoping that I'll be eligible for getting the shot(s) by the summertime.

I think that for any show in 2021 to happen, it's going to depend on how fast the vaccine rollout can be, and how many people can/will get vaccinated.  Here in PA, they've just announced that people who are 50-64 who fit other category 1-A criteria can now start seeing about signing up for shots (unfortunately, I don't hit those other criteria, as far as I've been able to determine); my brother, who lives in NJ, is only a year & a half older than me but is signed up for his first shot this weekend because he drives for Uber).

This isn't just the case for pen shows, either.  My husband has a sideline business running a food booth at something sort of like a Renn Faire; the event was cancelled last year last minute, when he and three of his staff were partway there, and had to turn around and drive back from southern Kentucky (stumbling in the front door about 12:30 AM after having gotten on the road about 8 AM the previous day).  He's still waffling about whether he thinks he thinks he can run things "safely", given that he will not necessarily know what customers will have had their shots and which haven't).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

35 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

I was looking at some dealer's website a week or two ago, and the Chicago Pen Show has tentatively rescheduled from May till the first weekend in October, but I don't know if there's any updated info, such as hotel room availability, as of yet.  I haven't been to that show before, but I'm really tempted to go if it actually happens, because I think that by then there MIGHT just be enough people who have gotten the vaccine for me to feel safe on a multiway out of state trip (I'm hoping that I'll be eligible for getting the shot(s) by the summertime.

I think that for any show in 2021 to happen, it's going to depend on how fast the vaccine rollout can be, and how many people can/will get vaccinated.  Here in PA, they've just announced that people who are 50-64 who fit other category 1-A criteria can now start seeing about signing up for shots (unfortunately, I don't hit those other criteria, as far as I've been able to determine); my brother, who lives in NJ, is only a year & a half older than me but is signed up for his first shot this weekend because he drives for Uber).

This isn't just the case for pen shows, either.  My husband has a sideline business running a food booth at something sort of like a Renn Faire; the event was cancelled last year last minute, when he and three of his staff were partway there, and had to turn around and drive back from southern Kentucky (stumbling in the front door about 12:30 AM after having gotten on the road about 8 AM the previous day).  He's still waffling about whether he thinks he thinks he can run things "safely", given that he will not necessarily know what customers will have had their shots and which haven't).

There is also the issue that for many of the population, young and old, there is no hurry ti get back out there in what they consider to be a high  risk environment as compared to their home.

We have been told to isolate for so long and have risk managed our Covid exposure that it will be difficult to make the change, for some at least.

There is that, Parkette.  There was a story on the early evening news last night which said that a lot of businesses in NYC are finding that their employees have gotten so used to working remotely that they're not interesting in going back to commuting to work in-person.

My local pen club, OTOH, has been meeting over Zoom for a year now.  We get a fraction of the people who used to show up to in-person get togethers.  And holding up the new toys in front of a video camera is all very well and good, half the fun of in-person meetings was to actually pass the pens around and play with them and ask what they were inked up with; my experience in my other hobby is that if I'm trying to show up a drawing to the camera on my husband's work laptop (I can't get Zoom to work on my laptop at ALL) is that the image almost instantly turns to a blank white sheet -- no actual writing/drawing showed on the screen and I have to fiddle with the page in hope that the person I'm showing it to can actually SEE the image.... :(

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I heard that Dallas plans to be back in late September. Can't wait!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I think it was a solid decision to move the Chicago Pen Show to the first weekend of October.  Illinois is toying with some limited opening up in the next couple of months and you can't run a show on that basis.  I am counting on that we will be past masking by the end of Summer.  We have to get back to normal.  I'm also counting on some folks to continue wearing masks but, that ain't me.  A pen show is a lot of people touching the same pens over and over again.  If Covid is still occurring at 50,000 new cases a day we can't have an in person show.  Let me make it very clear that I only believe in an in person show.  The rate Covid is dropping I think we will look at the end of Summer being safe for in person shows.  San Francisco is likely to be the first show at the end of August and I believe it will be on.  The hotel link should be on the website tomorrow.  The Marriott is planning to open up normally the first weekend of October.  It's hard to count on anything and I postponed it twice last year in the belief that we couldn't be locked down this long - I was so wrong.  Maybe it is my natural optimism but, I think we will be full open for the Chicago Pen Show and I hope to see all your faces in October!

Roger   

A Big Thank-you to all that responded. 

This trail at least lets me know that the pen shows are going to be coming back.  I'm happy to wait a few more months for the vaccines to get into as many arms as possible. 

Since I'm on the east coast, that is where I will begin when the pens shows start.  

Now back to letter practice.  Today is the letter "D" in all of its glory.🙂