Diamine Majestic Blue Vs De Atramentis Steel Blue - An Ink Comparison For A Somewhat Peculiar Reason

Morbus Curiositas

Diamine Majestic Blue vs De Atramentis Steel Blue

An Ink comparison for a somewhat peculiar reason

MJdertHh.jpg?1

Notice Diamine and De Atramentis use similar lids

There is of course nothing so special about comparing two inks especially then they are both blue inks.

What is peculiar though that they are both very talented at smudging and staining. But I will come back to this later first have a look at the colours.

I will enter in the links to the more extensive reviews of both inks at the end of this review

Handwritten text comparison

9n3SpTTh.jpg

Let me "throw up" ;) another comparison

e1QAQu3h.jpg

Q-Tipp comparison

4xZUej7h.jpg

Sheeny Shiny happy Inks yeah

How great both inks sheen The De Atramentis Ink sheen very well but is topped by Sheen Master Majestic Blue

Judge Smudge :doh:

Down here is the reason that gave me the idea for this comparison

mdxq6Kjm.jpg PBmU8ojm.jpg?1

Both inks smear even after days of drying time. Just a drop of spit on the finger tip can cause this smudging

It seems to be quite normal though, some inks tend to smudge alittle more, they are no IG or document inks after all

In this comparisonThe Diamine seems to be the most talented ;) when it cooms to smudging smudging.

I once had Dr. J of De Atramentis test the Diamine Majestic Blue. Dr J Lsaid that the ink was perfetly well... He liked it a lot! :)

Availability

La Couronne du Comte I guess Dennis and Rik would even travel to the moon to get it for you (just pay them a million or 2) Well it is safe to say that they do almost everything to satisfy their customers… Considering

http://www.lacouronneducomte

Bankers have Rothshield Ink lovers have the Goulet Pen Company. Rachel and Brian carry the almost* largest assortment of ink on earth an it's near surroundings

http://www.gouletpens.com

(*almost Dear Amberlea Davis carries the largest assortment in the universe but is not a seller

Larry Post of Australia is a Great Supplier of Stationary and Artist Equipments. They carry a lot of De Atramentis Inks

http://www.larrypost.com.au/

The same applies to Singapore based Arters of the utterly friendly Yitpeng and WeetekOng

http://arters.com.sg

Conclusion

I really do like both inks. They both are lovely blues. Normally I am not so fond of blue inks because they are so standard that i believe that they are mor sommething for boring biro writers :lticaptd: these inksmade me change my mind and I now use blue inks quite often :)

The Diamine is the better sheener therefore the De Atramentis seems to " hold his liquor" better ;)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/352616-diamine-majestic-blue/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/352615-de-atramentis-steel-blue/

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• A Smug Dill

• LizEF

• GOTO10

Have you tried Sailor seiboku? It shades, it sheens, it dries relatively quickly and it doesn't smear at all.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wonderful comparison. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Have you tried Sailor seiboku? It shades, it sheens, it dries relatively quickly and it doesn't smear at all.

No I have not. I like sailor inks though but is seiboku safe for fountain pens?

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Wonderful comparison. Thank you.

You are Welcome

No I have not. I like sailor inks though but is seiboku safe for fountain pens?

Absolutely, and not so different from Steel Blue.

I just recently opened my bottle of Sei Boku and its incredible. Wrapped on the first ink-up today.

The cleanup is a little tedious, but i rub my finger over the sheen on the page and nothing moves. It's like magic. And it is a lot of pretty sheen.

I also tested the water resistance and it didn't budge. That ink will outlast the paper.

Absolutely, and not so different from Steel Blue.

Are you sure LCC warns not to leave it in a pen not even for a few days

SGHrw2t.png

Sailor seiboku lives in my LAMY cp1 — which, incidentally, is one of my favourite pen models, and not something I go out of my way to ruin — for months on end. It hasn't caused any damage to the pen, as far as I'm aware, even though some ink evaporation has been evident (because the ink that gets put down becomes much darker, a few weeks after refilling the converter). I have no qualms putting Sailor (né Nano) pigment inks in more expensive pens, and my habit is almost always to leave ink in my pens after refilling, until it has run out or run dry completely, before flushing and cleaning; I don't like dumping half a converter's worth of ink either down the drain or back into the bottle, and wanting to "protect" the pen isn't reason enough for me to do so.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Sailor seiboku lives in my LAMY cp1 — which, incidentally, is one of my favourite pen models, and not something I go out of my way to ruin — for months on end. It hasn't caused any damage to the pen, as far as I'm aware, even though some ink evaporation has been evident (because the ink that gets put down becomes much darker, a few weeks after refilling the converter). I have no qualms putting Sailor (né Nano) pigment inks in more expensive pens, and my habit is almost always to leave ink in my pens after refilling, until it has run out or run dry completely, before flushing and cleaning; I don't like dumping half a converter's worth of ink either down the drain or back into the bottle, and wanting to "protect" the pen isn't reason enough for me to do so.

Well maybe will try some in my Lamy Safari but certainly not in my Sailor, Dupont or Pelikans

Thanks

I just recently opened my bottle of Sei Boku and its incredible. Wrapped on the first ink-up today.

The cleanup is a little tedious, but i rub my finger over the sheen on the page and nothing moves. It's like magic. And it is a lot of pretty sheen.

I also tested the water resistance and it didn't budge. That ink will outlast the paper.

What do you mean by tedious?

Well maybe will try some in my Lamy Safari but certainly not in my Sailor, Dupont or Pelikans

In my firsthand experience, the LAMY Safari's cap doesn't seal nearly as well as the one on the LAMY cp1, and will allow ink to evaporate and dry out in the pen more rapidly. The caps on my Sailor and Pelikan pens are far superior in that regard. The ink is not a hazard to the pen; allowing the ink to dry out in the pen is the problem, and that has nothing to do with the price of the particular pen. If you want to only try it in a cheap pen, then use the ink in a Platinum Plaisir/Prefounte/Preppy with the Slip-and-Seal mechanism.

In my firsthand experience, the LAMY Safari's cap doesn't seal nearly as well as the one on the LAMY cp1, and will allow ink to evaporate and dry out in the pen more rapidly. The caps on my Sailor and Pelikan pens are far superior in that regard. The ink is not a hazard to the pen; allowing the ink to dry out in the pen is the problem, and that has nothing to do with the price of the particular pen. If you want to only try it in a cheap pen, then use the ink in a Platinum Plaisir/Prefounte/Preppy with the Slip-and-Seal mechanism.

In that case I maybe schould try it in my Pilot 3776 since it has that special seal mechanism in the Cap

Only rhing is that it has the Ultra Extra Fine Nib hope that is not a Problem

I have several Platinum #3776 Century pens, but none with an UEF nib. However, I have kept my Sailor Promenade — which has a gold EF nib that puts down a very narrow line — inked with Sailor kiwaguro (in the same series of pigment inks as seiboku) for months, and it hasn't caused a problem. I only switched that ink out less than 48 hours ago, to put a different pigment ink (Platinum Carbon Black) in that pen instead.

I have several Platinum #3776 Century pens, but none with an UEF nib. However, I have kept my Sailor Promenade — which has a gold EF nib that puts down a very narrow line — inked with Sailor kiwaguro (in the same series of pigment inks as seiboku) for months, and it hasn't caused a problem. I only switched that ink out less than 48 hours ago, to put a different pigment ink (Platinum Carbon Black) in that pen instead.

Thanks for your advice

Yeah, I'm sure. I've had a single fill in a Pilot Stargazer, F for ~2.5 months, with no flow or performance problems. I do like to gently rub the feed-side of the nib after long, slow use as a black discoloration builds up there, but that's the extent of extra cleaning required. I assume the black is whatever pigment goes in as the "black" portion of the "blue black". I'd guess that the next ink would have flushed it out, but I'm slightly obsessive about cleaning before taking a pen out of rotation.

Fun comparison, thank you. I like the colour of de De Atramentis Steel Blue, not so much the smudging you mention. From the comments I get that Sailor Seiboku has a similar colour, and better behaviour. I will put that one on my "maybe" list - I have too many inks already that are begging for a try.

Fun comparison, thank you. I like the colour of de De Atramentis Steel Blue, not so much the smudging you mention. From the comments I get that Sailor Seiboku has a similar colour, and better behaviour. I will put that one on my "maybe" list - I have too many inks already that are begging for a try.

Graag Gedaan ;) For me that Sei boku is on my maybe list...

I love sailor inks just anxious a bout Sei Bokuin Fountain Pens

• 3 weeks later...

recently bought a bottle of Majestic Blue n it is wonderful. Good legibility in all of my pens, not too wet, reveals the nib grind yet providing sufficient lubrication and glide.