Success In Kaweco Titanium Clip 3D Printing And Next Step

VonPG

After 3 times failure I made it at last. By using EOSINT M280 printer, a titanium clip was printed. To make it looks in matte finish. I polished it for one day and it looks great now.

1.png

Clip

2.png

Clip after install it to Kaweco Ti

My next step is to creat a pen by using 3d printing and CNC machine. And I draw some stl file here.

3.png

Cap

4.png

Body

5.png

Grip

6.jpg

The Whole Pen

I have tried many times to print prototype in resin like nylon12 or acrylic, but its accuracy is not enough. So next time I decide to print or use cnc machine in Aluminum, Sterling Silver or Alumina Ceramic. And I also want to design some pattern to make it looks more attractive. But due to the outbreak of disease. I can only stay at home now. :-P

Edited by VonPG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulSamurai

• sirgilbert357

• BaronWulfraed

• VonPG

Very cool! I wish I had access to a metal 3D printer. Ah well, someday perhaps they will be affordable enough.

Very cool! I wish I had access to a metal 3D printer. Ah well, someday perhaps they will be affordable enough.

Metal 3D printer? Isn't what he is using just a CNC machine?

3D printer = makes something by slowly adding material

CNC = makes something out of a blank by removing material

Metal 3D printer? Isn't what he is using just a CNC machine?

3D printer = makes something by slowly adding material

CNC = makes something out of a blank by removing material

I am aware of the difference. As it happens I have two 3D printers (one FDM for plastic, one SLA for resin) and a CNC mill. If you read VonPG's original post you will see that he states that the Kaweco clip that he has attached photos of was 3D printed in titanium. He then states that he wants to "print or... cnc machine" in metal. In fact he specifically names the 3D printer he used, which according to the internet is indeed a metal 3D printer: https://prestigeequipment.com/Printers-3D/EOS-M280/30469/i .

By the way, CNC stands for "computer numeric control", which basically means a machine controlled by a computer. Which applies to 3D printers as well as CNC mills: in fact they are typically both controlled by gcode, and have so much overlap in function that there are many machines available these days that can do both with a simple tool change. So a "CNC machine" as you put it is not necessarily for removing material, what you are thinking of is a CNC mill. Just FYI.

Edited by SoulSamurai

I am aware of the difference. As it happens I have two 3D printers (one FDM for plastic, one SLA for resin) and a CNC mill. If you read VonPG's original post you will see that he states that the Kaweco clip that he has attached photos of was 3D printed in titanium. He then states that he wants to "print or... cnc machine" in metal. In fact he specifically names the 3D printer he used, which according to the internet is indeed a metal 3D printer: https://prestigeequipment.com/Printers-3D/EOS-M280/30469/i .

By the way, CNC stands for "computer numeric control", which basically means a machine controlled by a computer. Which applies to 3D printers as well as CNC mills: in fact they are typically both controlled by gcode, and have so much overlap in function that there are many machines available these days that can do both with a simple tool change. So a "CNC machine" as you put it is not necessarily for removing material, what you are thinking of is a CNC mill. Just FYI.

Ah, OK...CNC mill then. Well, how in the world does one PRINT titanium? I googled the printer and didn't see much about how it works. Is it literally laying line after line of metal on top on one another to create the object? What form is the raw material? Titanium dust? Thin ribbons? Metal sheets? I'm baffled how this could work...

Ah, OK...CNC mill then. Well, how in the world does one PRINT titanium? I googled the printer and didn't see much about how it works. Is it literally laying line after line of metal on top on one another to create the object? What form is the raw material? Titanium dust? Thin ribbons? Metal sheets? I'm baffled how this could work...

The more common (heh) 3D metal printers tend to use fine powder and high heat to create something between sintered and welded.

Sometimes the printed object is fixed from said metal powder by a polymer, put into an oven and being sintered. Other printers use a laser (SLS - Selektiv Laser Sintering) to melt and sinter the powder in one go.

To my knowledge the way that metal printers work is called "Selective Laser Sintering" (which is also used for other materials like nylon). You can probably find some detailed descriptions online for how that works, but my understanding is that they lay down a thin layer of powdered metal (or whatever material), and smooth over the top to ensure a flat consistent layer of powder. Then a laser is used to melt and fuse the powder together in the desired areas into solid form, creating that layer of the print. A new layer of powder is then smoothed on top, and the laser does it's job again, thus adding a new layer of solid material. Rinse and repeat. Once it's done you remove the solid print from the mass of unfused powder.

I did find some nice animations online:

http://d1s398z4h130cy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/25_Apr_sls.gif

Make a titanium kaweco sport with the barrel length/rounded end of the delike alpha and we'd be talking!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)