Tokyo Quill Pen Shop . . . Any Reason Not To?

markofp

How low do Endless Pens get on their Lamy pricing? I ask as they're currently charging substantially more than I paid for my Lamy pens in Asia...

Edit: Found an answer regarding the Lamy 2000: someone else bought one from that shop for $104, which is only $12 above the Asian pricing, which is a great result.

Edited by RJS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• RJS

• markofp

• SpecTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How low do Endless Pens get on their Lamy pricing? I ask as they're currently charging substantially more than I paid for my Lamy pens in Asia...

“Do”, as in the present tense, or as in potentially (in the future) on the basis of historical sales? I bought a Lamy cp1 (with matte black finish) for US$27, a Lamy 2000 for less than US$100, and a Lamy Imporium for less than US$200 from EndlessPens. I vaguely remember @Honeybadgers bought a Lamy Dialog 3 from it for about US$170. Lamy LX in different colours were offered for something like US$33 (or was it US$30?) at one point.

I don't remember ever seeing it offer great prices on Pilot pens, though; or carry any interesting models (i.e. not in the Custom and Capless product lines) at that. ... OK, I see it currently has two of the sterling silver models; no wood, no urushi, no maki-e, no Justus, no Elabo (aka Falcon), no Elite 95S.

Yes, I'm aware that the Pilot Capless raden Vanishing Point models are finished with urushi lacquer.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

"How low do they tend to go" is what what I was asking, you answered it, thanks. How long has it been since those purchased, roughly? Cheers.

Edited by RJS

How long has it been since those purchased, roughly?

Between December 2018 and December 2019. I used to buy numerous pens from it and often, but since it raised the free international shipping eligibility threshold this year I've only placed one order — when it temporarily dropped the threshold promotionally one weekend — even though I still see steep discounts on pen prices from time to time.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Endless is a great vendor. Good communication and customer service. Some pens their sales are dramatically unimpressive, and for other brands - like lamy - they're absolutely absurdly low.

I think it's because lamy just doesn't regulate its vendors as religiously as pilot or MB would. because god help anyone who sells a MB for even a modest discount or puts a pilot on sale outside of its authorized window.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Pensachi hasn't had that until veeeeeeery recently (I keep a general eye on their wares because they rarely have a good sale) so it's possible pilot now has another authorized vendor, or they're doing that in an unauthorized way and yanking the nibs from 743's and putting them in 823's and selling the 743's with the F/M/B. It would also explain their absolutely outrageously overpriced asking price.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Pensachi hasn't had that until veeeeeeery recently (I keep a general eye on their wares because they rarely have a good sale) so it's possible pilot now has another authorized vendor, or they're doing that in an unauthorized way and yanking the nibs from 743's and putting them in 823's and selling the 743's with the F/M/B. It would also explain their absolutely outrageously overpriced asking price.

Last time I checked Pensachi, prior to this thread, was at least 6 - 8 months ago. They were selling 823 FAs at that time.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Last time I checked Pensachi, prior to this thread, was at least 6 - 8 months ago. They were selling 823 FAs at that time.

Huh, I stand corrected. I haven't clicked on the 823 in longer than that, so it's possible I just missed the announcement.

Would be interested to see if more retailers start to carry it, and I do still wonder if pensachi is just swapping in FA nibs from other pens, because to get one from Yaz, you have to email him and he special orders it, so I assumed that pilot was still only making them to-order for the select retailer (or perhaps now retailers)

• 4 months later...

I just ordered an 823 with FA nib from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill.  I got a reply that the order was received and that they would get back to me once they have calculated shipping etc.  That was a week ago.  Not sure what that means.

6 hours ago, maclink said:

I just ordered an 823 with FA nib from Tokyo Pen Shop Quill.  I got a reply that the order was received and that they would get back to me once they have calculated shipping etc.  That was a week ago.  Not sure what that means.

Well, when I bought mine, this is how it worked: after you make an order to TPSQ, no charges would be made and you would be put into a waiting list. Once TPSQ receives new 823 FA pens from Pilot (usually every six months), it would send an e-mail asking if you still want to purchase the pen, and only then your card would be charged. The pen would be shipped in about a week after that.

I would venture a guess that TPSQ still works this way (though it would be important to check the conditions specified when you made your order). You might need to wait a few months for your order to be fulfilled. In my case, I have found the final product to be well worth the wait. Hope it works out for you.

I sent an e-mail of price inquiry (not an order, per se) to Yas about two weeks ago and never heard back from him, so I placed an order for the same pen (823 Clear with a medium nib) with Pensachi about a week ago, and I haven't heard from them either, except for an automated reply.  I'm a little concerned.

FYI, I placed an order for a brown 823 with FA nib, just about 13 months ago, and still haven't received an update.

8 minutes ago, neverforget said:

FYI, I placed an order for a brown 823 with FA nib, just about 13 months ago, and still haven't received an update.

Email them on top of their email that acknowledged your order.  I waited 4 months before inquiring and coincidentally they had mine ready. 

I purchased a pilot 823 with fa nib years ago from them. They were rather prompt in responding. However, I wanted to purchase a second one, and I did not remember the price I payed for(many years ago). I reached out 3 times and never got a response. This was during a 2 year stretch. I will no longer buy anything from them. I was considering purchasing the 823 and 845 in black.

We here in the Tokyo area have just had the panic endured Emergency order lifted yesterday.  Many businesses operations have been severely curtailed.  

Additionally, many shops do not keep what we might consider regular business hours in normal times, not just FP stores.  Tokyo has several FP stores, in addition to many others, that even before the panic kept unusual hours.  

And, English is not their native language.  If they have many orders to fill and are busy, naturally they may tend to those ordering in Japanese.  Do not know that to be true for this particular store.  I know they were very kind when I visited their store but that they did not reply to my emails.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an inquiry, and received a reply within a day. I subsequently placed an order for a Pilot Custom 845, and I've received regular updates. This is my first time purchasing form this shop, and I can say correspondence has been great.

First post here, Hello! 

Maybe someone can help me. I have a hard time deciding on a Pilot 845 with Falcon nib, offered used but like new to me, bought from this very shop in Japan.

Actually I wanted to buy a Pilot 743 with a Falcon nib and add the ebonite feed that’s offered by flexiblenib, since I read so many reviews that it’s necessary for the ink flow. 

Can anyone tell me how the Pilot 845 keeps up with the ink flow with a Falcon nib? Is it still enjoyable to write with the line variation with the plastic feed? I fear railroading.

6 hours ago, GoldenBear said:

First post here, Hello! 

Maybe someone can help me. I have a hard time deciding on a Pilot 845 with Falcon nib, offered used but like new to me, bought from this very shop in Japan.

Actually I wanted to buy a Pilot 743 with a Falcon nib and add the ebonite feed that’s offered by flexiblenib, since I read so many reviews that it’s necessary for the ink flow. 

Can anyone tell me how the Pilot 845 keeps up with the ink flow with a Falcon nib? Is it still enjoyable to write with the line variation with the plastic feed? I fear railroading.

I have a 743 with a Falcon nib and it railroads.  Lovely nib but I do not use it often.