Montblanc 310 Feed/nib Gap And Disassembly

alexwi

Hi y'all!

I have a Montblanc 310 that has quite a gap between the nib and the feed and am not sure of what to do, as I'm not sure whether the gap is the result of the nib being bent upwards or the feed being bent downwards.

There's a video showing this pen's tear-down here: https://youtu.be/H57t0ZLfs1Y?t=42 but no the clear piece that joins the section to the barrel on mine just won't budge. Any ideas?

I would like to take it apart, so I can either fix the nib properly or apply hot air or water to the feed to bend it upward to have it touch the nib's underside.

The pen writes well, but has issues starting after not using it for a day because the ink that fills that gap evaporates.

Thanks!!!

alex

fpn_1582509661__montblanc-310-nib-profil

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TorPelikan

• Bibliophage

• alexwi

• stric75

It appears there's a crack in the upper plastic of the feed itself, quite possibly from the nib being pressed downwards at some time in the past.

I'd refer that to someone who can get you a replacement feed.

You just made me take a very good look at it with a loupe. And then with a 20x loupe. Must be an artifact of the picture.

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

I can't see the crack you mention?

But, the nib looks good and straight, so I'd be concentrating on the feed, rather than the nib, to eliminate the gap.

If it's ebonite, I'd try the heat setting method (there are a few walk-throughs of various methods dotted araound FPN)

Can't help you with the dismantling - but hopefully you may not need to!

Good luck.

Perhaps a crack is the wrong word. The feed appears to have an insert, rounded at the back and angled at the front, just behind the point of the feed. At the angled point, it looks like a gap has formed where in the picture, you can see the surface beneath the pen. To me, that would indicate that the feed itself has bowed downwards, away from the nib - for whatever reason.

I would try bending the nib a little towards the feed and hope that does it. Heat setting is a good idea too if the feed is ebonite. All the best!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Hi alex,

Disassembling is possible.

It will make "heat set" easier and safer, I think.

First, clean the pen thoroughly before you start disassembling.

Next, remove the barrel from the section.

If your 310 is a C/C filler, you have to unscrew the clear plastic part from the section.

Do not lose the smokey colored ink window.

And do not destroy it as it's very thin and fragile.

Then, hold the nib/feed tight with your thumb and index finger, push them gently but firmly into the section.

Be careful not to bend the nib or break the feed.

The "tail" of the feed is very narrow.

Also be careful not to break your fingers.

You can pull out the nib/feed/gasket from the behind opening of the section.

If you have appropriate tool, you can pull out the gasket before pushing the nib/feed out from the section.

Removing the feed/nib will be easier with the gasket removed.

fpn_1582687943__mb320_6.jpg

The photo above is the section of my 320 disassembled.

The front part of the section/feed/nib is a little different from later models.

By the way, the feed of your pen is not made of ebonite but plastic if it's same as my 320's.

Even though, I prefer modifying the feed rather than bending the nib.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Tor

• 2 years later...
On 2/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, TorPelikan said:

Hi alex,

Disassembling is possible.

It will make "heat set" easier and safer, I think.

First, clean the pen thoroughly before you start disassembling.

Next, remove the barrel from the section.

If your 310 is a C/C filler, you have to unscrew the clear plastic part from the section.

Do not lose the smokey colored ink window.

And do not destroy it as it's very thin and fragile.

Then, hold the nib/feed tight with your thumb and index finger, push them gently but firmly into the section.

Be careful not to bend the nib or break the feed.

The "tail" of the feed is very narrow.

Also be careful not to break your fingers.

You can pull out the nib/feed/gasket from the behind opening of the section.

If you have appropriate tool, you can pull out the gasket before pushing the nib/feed out from the section.

Removing the feed/nib will be easier with the gasket removed.

fpn_1582687943__mb320_6.jpg

The photo above is the section of my 320 disassembled.

The front part of the section/feed/nib is a little different from later models.

By the way, the feed of your pen is not made of ebonite but plastic if it's same as my 320's.

Even though, I prefer modifying the feed rather than bending the nib.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Tor

Hello, do you know how to remove the piston mechanism from 310/320?

Hello Stric75

If you want to remove the feed and nib from section unit, you only need to unscrew the barrel.

If you want further disassembling of the piston mechanism, unscrew the translucent plastic part(cylinder) from the barrel and rotate the piston knob counterclockwise until the knob get loose.

But once disassembled into parts, re-assembling is not so easy.

Sometimes, it need multiple trial to bring them into ideal position.

Please try some "search" in the FPN site to find helpful pictures.

Good luck.

Tor

On 5/11/2022 at 9:57 AM, TorPelikan said:

Hello Stric75

If you want to remove the feed and nib from section unit, you only need to unscrew the barrel.

If you want further disassembling of the piston mechanism, unscrew the translucent plastic part(cylinder) from the barrel and rotate the piston knob counterclockwise until the knob get loose.

But once disassembled into parts, re-assembling is not so easy.

Sometimes, it need multiple trial to bring them into ideal position.

Please try some "search" in the FPN site to find helpful pictures.

Good luck.

Tor

Tor, thank you for your reply. So, if I understand you well, the translucent part should also be unscrewed from the rest of the yellow body? I will try that as well.

During the disassembly the amber colored ink window broke (I guess it was broken, to begin with and it was barely holding on) into multiple fragments and many of them could not be glued back. Do you have any idea where one could find such a spare part or if I could use similar ink window from other MB fountain pens. If you know a good source of spare parts, please let me know. Thanks.

Srtic75, fragile ink window (it also hold the wire spring which snap catch the cap) is a serious problem.
Once, I've broken it to pieces, as you've done.

As I couldn't glue them back to its shape, and couldn't find a replacement, I glued it to the pen itself.

Once glued, disassembling of the pen became impossible, but it was the only way to make the pen usable.

To find a replacement is the best way.

eBay is the only place I know, I found one but it has "no ring".

As you know, two types of ink window exists, "one piece" made of plastic and "two piece" plastic window with metal ring.

I think, finding a donor pen maybe easier than finding a ink window as a parts.

Hope you can find a replacement for you pen.

regards,

Tor