The Pelikan M800 Souverän Fountain Pen- Why Do We Collect Them?

Quadratus

I have often contemplating selling all of them, but I know I have this curious behavior of needing time to appreciate some pens. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I think you have two options, make them to work at your specification (by a do it yourself approach, or by using a professional) or sell it. There are no advantages in having a lot of costly pens not properly working.

Alfredo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Mercian

• gerigo

• Quadratus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might say that I like M800 size Pelikans and you would be right! Here are all of my Pelikans...

post-5351-0-67422200-1584553320_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Amazingly, I've been able to resist the urge to buy every M800 that comes my way with only two in possession.

Is one of them a Brown Tortoishell? ;)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

A counterpoint perhaps?

The only brand I seem to not be able to ignite ANY passion is Pelikan...

...I have over 25 of them but I just can’t connect with them. Cerebrally these should be the type of pens I love. Just a couple nights ago, I took out an M805 Stesemann and switched it with a broad nib to see whether I will be suitably moved. Wow, not only was the broad nib bad, (it did not write… AT ALL), the design does nothing for me. Maybe it was just that the broad nib simply will not write that has turned my opinion of the pen.

If you find that they don’t move you - even with a nib that writes well installed in them - my advice to you would be to sell them.

Who cares what anybody else says about them? If you don’t like them, you don’t like them.

You might keep one or two of the ‘rarer’ ones, just so that you ‘still own an M800’, but if I were you I’d sell the other twenty-plus ones, and use the money that you get from the sales to instead buy something that you do enjoy.

And I promise that I’m not just saying that in at attempt to gull you in to letting me buy one from you for less than it is worth! Although, if you would like to get rid of them quickly... ;)

mini-postcard-exc.png

I have often contemplating selling all of them, but I know I have this curious behavior of needing time to appreciate some pens. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Pick five to appreciate over time, or not, and sell the rest.

Add lightness and simplicate.

It has now become a motto (although I think originally it was Pakman who said it :) ) you can't have enough M800s...

It must be the fact that it works so well, and the fact that Pelikan keeps releasing such beautiful new liveries... (I own 4...)

(more difficult to grasp is that other motto "you can't have enough 149s", nice pens, but they're all black! ...but that is another story)

I really like the m800 nib units, but I don't have a passion for the M800 body. My favorite is the green demo pen from the early 1990s.

What I really like are custom pens that I can put my m800 nibs into. I like having a full range of nibs available on a pen for the small effort of screwing in a nib unit.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The only brand I seem to not be able to ignite ANY passion is Pelikan.

... I just can’t connect with them.

... Cerebrally these should be the type of pens I love.

... the design does nothing for me.

My feelings exactly. I have one Pelikan, an M800 that a friend graciously passed on to me. For that, it is special to me. As a pen, I just can’t bond with it. The famous Pelikan stripes and the overal design of the pen... many people think it is beautiful but to me it looks gaudy. The M nib, though soft and expressive, was a real gusher and it didn’t feel pleasant. I did a regrind to a Western F and tuned it, and now it is a very pleasant pen. But I still don’t connect with it.

A blue M805 with a medium nib was my first higher end pen. I have a handful of them now: and am glad. They are all wonderful writers . While I do frolic with the Italians and Japanese: Leonardo,Aurora, Pilot and Sailor I wouldnt part with them. Its the TWSBIs and Lamys that leave the house for the most part.

+1 Zaddick. Maybe we can co-design a pen together so that we can use all those esoteric nibs? I have an IB, a BB, a EF and an S.

I DO have Pelikans I like, like the M101N Lizard, the M7000 Majesty. It's the Souveran series that has really escaped me.

I really like the m800 nib units, but I don't have a passion for the M800 body. My favorite is the green demo pen from the early 1990s.

What I really like are custom pens that I can put my m800 nibs into. I like having a full range of nibs available on a pen for the small effort of screwing in a nib unit.

You might say that I like M800 size Pelikans and you would be right! Here are all of my Pelikans...

Wow, nice collection! I really like the grand place, nice to see those in this image. Just makes me want one more.. ;)

Edited by WLSpec

+1 Zaddick. Maybe we can co-design a pen together so that we can use all those esoteric nibs? I have an IB, a BB, a EF and an S.

I DO have Pelikans I like, like the M101N Lizard, the M7000 Majesty. It's the Souveran series that has really escaped me.

How about this one?

fpn_1584646352__20161019_121908_resized_

Oooohhh :)

I do like the Celtic/Saxon/Norse intertwined knot-work on that pen :)

I’d have put it over a garnet-red background.

But then I’m from Staffordshire, the county where this stuff was found.

mini-postcard-exc.png

The pen is handmade by Paul Rossi, including the silver overlay. It is a large piston filler in the style of an M101N. I don't know the fficial name, but Rick Propas has called the Rossi 800N pens so I use that name. I have a few of them. They are similar in size to an M800 when uncapped but smaller capped. Here are some more photos...

fpn_1584654664__20161019_122319_resized.

fpn_1584654733__20200114_120853_resized.

here is another one in brown. He also made the same style pens in a smaller size that take M600 units.

fpn_1584654829__20180629_151225_resized.

Here is another custom pen made by Bruno Corsini in collaboration with Rick Propas many years ago. The pen is meant to be reminiscent of an emperor Penguin in honor or Rick.

The 149 is for scale

fpn_1584655212__20190416_132751_resized.

PENguin pen uncapped

fpn_1584655285__20190416_132644_resized.

fpn_1584655323__20190416_132312_resized.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread! :D