New Penbbs 492 Magnet Filler - Year Of The Mouse Le

Honeybadgers

Just gonna open with saying this - PenBBS have officially invented what I feel is the coolest and most effective filling mechanism ever. The mechanism takes up such a miniscule amount of barrel space that it's essentially a self filling eyedropper that doesn't need to be pumped multiple times, and the only thing it can't do is block the inkflow out like some vac fillers and japanese eyedroppers.

The ink bottle is well made, crystal clear, and to my guess would hold 30-40mL of ink. No chips, nicely ground edges, well is perfectly centered. I love the little red mouse engraved and lacquered into the mothjer of pearl.

I really desperately hope they put this thing into full production. I can't believe how well mine works. There is a little trick to get the piston moving, and that's to "spin" it in the barrel just a hair to break the initial resistance of the seal, but it's no trickier than learning that you need to leave the knob on a vac filler cracked.

The fit and finish are also superb. The cap is a perfect 1 twist on and off, and the nib lines up perfectly with the engraving on one thread start or the clip on the other (two start points on the threads). I love quick screw caps, so that's already a big step up.

I also discovered that it can be stuck to anything magnetic on its side because of the magnet in the piston as well as the cap. So it's kind of convenient that it can be stuck to a fridge or other metal thing.

I love all the little engraving details on it. The finial has a mouse engraved on the magnet, a chinese lantern on the clip, A mouse, "PENBBS" and "2020 on the cap band, a mouse on the nib, on the piston it has the PenBBS logo and "2020" with chinese lanterns on either side, and on the tail insert, another mouse with "93" inside, the year PenBBS started.

There's plenty of space inside the cap for nib swaps if you like, unlike the 355.

The nib I got is a typidal PenBBS fude, this one is well tuned and writes nicely.

There is only one little fit and finish flaw, and it's not visible, but when running your hand over the part where the finial meets the cap, there is a tiny, slight step on one spot. It's not visible and you'd never notice unless you sat there rubbing your thumb on that seam.

And the only design choice I would have changed is that the cap doesn't post as deeply as they easily could have made it. It posts, but not all that deeply, and with the neodymium magnet in the finial, backweights it. But it's plenty long enough unposted and well balanced, the neodymium magnet in the piston at the back of the pen doesn't unbalance it noticeably (though the balance point itself is about a centimeter back from where it would be if it was just a converter fill. So if you REALLY need a pen that is forward-weighted, a-la the lamy 2000, this might not fit the bill) As well as it would have been nice to have the engraving on the cap band and tail insert enamel filled, like the engraved red mouse on the mother of pearl ink bottle cap. Would have added a nice touch of contrast.

I can't get enough of the magnet fill. It just works so brilliantly. I hope they keep making it and put it into a bunch of other models.

The cap band might also be a little divisive.

I had to get it from taobao using the "outside china vendor" website taobao focus. The pen cost about $50, with another $40ish in handlers fees and shipping via DHL (though once they got it, they sent me about two dozen pictures of it, packed the HELL out of it and shipped it via 2 day DHL to me, so they take good service pretty seriously)

so it was easily the most expensive PenBBS model I've ever bought, but if they brought it to US market, it'd be about $50-60. And honestly? I'd buy this again at $120 in a heartbeat.

fpn_1581726025__20200214_154500.jpg

fpn_1581726208__20200214_154609.jpg

fpn_1581726226__20200214_154634.jpg

fpn_1581726245__20200214_154639.jpg

fpn_1581726259__20200214_154721.jpg

fpn_1581726278__20200214_154826.jpg

fpn_1581726292__20200214_154832.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• JonSzanto

• penzel_washinkton

• Lloyd

Wow, PenBBS has really been on a roll and made some great pens in the last year or so!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Finally a review on the pen. Nice to know that your pen ships quite fast and packaged really well.

The cap band for me is excellent, they know this is a special occasion pen so why not try out new designs on the cap band.

One design element that I absolutely l adore is the assembly of the finial, magnet, clip and cap with that lantern logo on the clip.

They should add that logo to each of their clips.

Love your detailed description and photos.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I've seen on PenBBS IG page that a user claiming that PenBBS copied the magnetic filler system that an Italian boutique pen maker is using.

I don't think you can say that especially knowing that the filling mechanism has been around since a long time ago. The design of the PenBBS 492 is also totally different to the said boutique and this Quadro Pens, where the only silver lining between them is the magnetic filler system.

Personally, I like the PenBBS design much more due to it's transparency and probably much higher ink capacity.

I have my doubts that PenBBS is trolling american subforums looking for novel filling mechanisms to steal.

Nothing is truly "original" these days. It's all in marketing, execution, and who did it "right" first on a mass scale. Apple didn't invent the smartphone, either. IBM did. But who gets the credit? MB didn't invent the cigar shape, but who gets the credit?

The 492 also holds a hair over 3mL of ink. More than any piston or vac filler I know of that is still a normal form factor (without having to do a tricky multi pump fill, even then, big ones like the 823 only hold 2.5 if you basically unscrew the section and syringe fill it)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

An oblique question, just in case I missed something: the bottle isn't required, is it? I'm assuming you included it just as additional eye candy, and that the pen can fill from most any reservoir.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Good catch...................................................

Video at 11....................................................

His site.....................................at 11:59

https://www.piedimontependesign.com/

Fred

finds this to be Very Interesting {Thanks Artie Johnson}.......

And is not doubtful....................................................................

Redactin': Reminds one of Connections by James Burke...

Edited by Freddy

Great comprehensive review! Thank you @Honeybadgers for bringing us pen adventures beyond the ordinary. :P

There's a money shot, 5th down where the cap is stuck to the side of the pen body and appears to be defying gravity ! :yikes:

If so, that's worth the price of admission B)

Seriously cool and fun looking. :wub:

I can imagine version 892 with USB charging to toggle the electromagnetic mechanism; finally something original :lol:

An oblique question, just in case I missed something: the bottle isn't required, is it? I'm assuming you included it just as additional eye candy, and that the pen can fill from most any reservoir.

no, it's just part of the special edition extras.

It fills like any other pen.

Is there a vent in the top of the barrel for the air above the piston? And, is the piston held in place only by friction?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Are the magnets strong enough to clean the pen in case of dry ink in the pen?.I like the design and the innovation of the system.

If it were up to me, I would prefer cleaning the pen without using the magnet mechanism.

Just unscrew the section and flush it under running water or use a syringe if required.

Is there a vent in the top of the barrel for the air above the piston? And, is the piston held in place only by friction?

I don't think there is a vent on the back end of the pen (HB might correct me on this). Also the "piston" is not just the magnet. It is actually an assembly of the magnet and a plastic and yes it is only held by friction.

It's held by friction mostly but there is actually a smaller magnet in the tail insert. That should give it just a hair of pull back in addition to the friction itself. I have played with it all day and found that with the piston extended partially to keep the reservoir full (or prime the feed as I experimented with nib swaps - I have settled on a XXXF PO nib from FPnibs.com. I may have the mouse nib reground into a fine italic so I can keep it stock looking)

There's no vent on the back, but I don't find it "pressurizes" the space behind itself at all. I wonder if it may not enjoy flying for that matter, but you could use your thumb and unscrew the tail insert to let that part breathe.

The mechanism feels very, very stable and like it should stay good and reliable for a long time.

I disassembled it just now and the magnet is threaded into an acrylic piston that uses a simple silicone O ring as a seal, so re-sealing it is dirt simple, it uses the same O ring as the one that goes around the collar of the nib units or section, so very common and universal. If it ever fails or leaks, it's an easy, easy mechanism to repair.

I added a touch of silicone grease to the O ring and it's even smoother and nicer now.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Being that the external magnet is dragged along the outside of the barrel, won't it eventually get scuffed up from that activity?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

OMG the little rat on the nib!!! They have some cutest nib designs... And all the details.

Of course the filling mechanism looks super-cool, the 3ml ink capacity is impressive, but all the rats are what make this pen “must-have” for me!!!

How is the feed? Did it hold up well when you switched the nib? Some of their pens have rather fragile feed in which the fins go flat when I try to pull it out.