Journaling With Fountain Pens To Relax

femamerica13

I was wondering how you guys journal your thoughts for quick thoughts, not like a long hand diary or journal. I am looking for a way to express and not freak out over life, even though I don't have the time to figure out my feelings.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• femamerica13

• mana

• Charles Skinner

• Karmachanic

If you don’t have time to figure out your feelings you are, sadly, doomed to freak out. Because pent-up emotions eventually break out. Sometimes in the form of Stress-induced ailments, or as outbursts of extreme emotion.

You need to figure out your feelings, and longhand journalling is a good way to do it.
Longhand journalling can ‘break the dam’ of pent-up emotions, and you might find yourself writing things down that you didn’t previously realise that you felt. It can be useful to look back on entries after some time, as they can reveal more about your state of mind than you realise at the time.
If private storage isn’t available to you and so you don’t want to keep a journal long-term, even writing out longhand ’journal’ entries e.g on sheets from an A4 refill pad or a ‘legal pad’ and then immediately destroying the sheets is emotionally-useful, because it makes your conscious mind ‘talk to’ your subconscious in order to be able to express your thoughts & emotions.

As for making quick, brief notes while out-and-about, you could carry e.g. a small Rhodia bloc pad & use that to jot down quick thoughts, and reminders of things that you would like to write longer journal entries about later on.

Good luck :thumbup:

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

If it's quick thoughts, I jot them down in my planner. The Hobonichi A5 Techo Cousin is big enough to fit my daily schedule and any insights/important notes I want to remember for the day. The Tomoe River paper is just icing on the cake for fountain pen users.

It does come at a pretty penny though, which is why I'm having fun filling out every possible page with my pens and inks!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Quick thoughts? At work and elsewhere too I usually have pads, notebooks and paper around (belonging to the "knowledge worker" class/profession it is pretty much a given).

I most usually have with me several inked fountain pens suitable for the occasion. Open nibbed and softer/flexier for the more leisurely notetaking when seated/by a desk and the hooded and more stiff nibbed ones for note taking on the go (when standing up(removed from my desk).

Other than that, I create dedicated spaces for penning down my thoughts. Usually, in the morning before breakfast (when the water is heating up to a boil) I have a space in time to journal and make notes on life and whatnot for a few minutes. The same, back home, in the evening.

I was wondering how you guys journal your thoughts for quick thoughts, not like a long hand diary or journal. I am looking for a way to express and not freak out over life, even though I don't have the time to figure out my feelings.

Sounds like the perfect motivation for Morning Pages to me. (look it up)

Essentialy three pages of longhand steam on consciousness, early in the day. Not to be re-read and not to be kept. Let whatever's in there out.

Magical way of working things out without consciously trying to do so.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I like the idea of that as a fan of automatic/autowriting. Need to give it a go. Thanks!

Sounds like the perfect motivation for Morning Pages to me. (look it up)

Essentialy three pages of longhand steam on consciousness, early in the day. Not to be re-read and not to be kept. Let whatever's in there out.

Magical way of working things out without consciously trying to do so.

Nobody ----- Nobody can tell you what to write ------ I am sure you know that. ----- But the only way to start, is to start. ---- Set aside twenty minutes a day to write. and just write what comes to mind. ----- I have been a serious journal writer since about 1956, or so, and have filled many, many 300 and 400 page large "ledger" books ----- not the small books high school kids use, ---- I usually try to write every day. Make it a "have to." ---- I don't write my journals for other to read. I hope they do not. I have ask both of the wonderful ladies I have been married to in my like not to read them, ----- not because there is anything in them that I would ashamed of or embarrassed for them read ------No, No, No, ------ It is just that my thoughts are private. That is all. -----

Don't say that you have noting to write about. Write about the size of you big toe. ----- Write about what the food you had for last meal tasted like ------ Write about a mistake you made ------ Write about a lost love. ------ Write about what it feels like to put your thoughts on paper. ------- I don't want to give advice. -------- No, no, no! ------ Journal writing is such a personal adventure. Nobody can "tell you how to write" your journal ----- Certainly no me. -----

Don't fear making mistakes. ----- Just let the words flow ---- Is not so hard. ---- Just what come into you mind. Put it on paper. -----Make it somewhat personal. ----- At least at first, let it be private. ---

"I know nothing." ------ But I do know that my journal writing has been one of the most important activities of my life. --- Yes. a thousand times "YES!" ------ YES!!!!!!

Please excuse mistakes if any ----- written very quickly ----- the way I write in my journals. ---- Excuse mistakes if any. ---

C, S, (a poor earthen vessel) ------- WRITE ON!!!!!!!

femamerica13, write any way you want. Even just doodle or draw giant words on a page. There is no wrong way, and if you want to only spend 30 seconds doing it, that is fine. Even if it is just crayon hashmarks! Who cares? Sometimes I just pick up a pen and draw wavy lines across a page to remind myself of calm lake water. Sometimes I draw a moon or a tree, and I feel more relaxed and grounded. Sometimes I just write interesting numbers, or a message if support to myself. Anything is valid, and it need not be a regimen.

Edited by TSherbs

For quick thoughts I use a disposable pocket notepad. Then I can decide what I may want to expand on in my daily journal. Sorting out my thoughts keeps me grounded....most of the time.

If you don’t have time to figure out your feelings you are, sadly, doomed to freak out. Because pent-up emotions eventually break out. Sometimes in the form of Stress-induced ailments, or as outbursts of extreme emotion.

You need to figure out your feelings, and longhand journalling is a good way to do it.

Longhand journalling can ‘break the dam’ of pent-up emotions, and you might find yourself writing things down that you didn’t previously realise that you felt. It can be useful to look back on entries after some time, as they can reveal more about your state of mind than you realise at the time.

If private storage isn’t available to you and so you don’t want to keep a journal long-term, even writing out longhand ’journal’ entries e.g on sheets from an A4 refill pad or a ‘legal pad’ and then immediately destroying the sheets is emotionally-useful, because it makes your conscious mind ‘talk to’ your subconscious in order to be able to express your thoughts & emotions.

As for making quick, brief notes while out-and-about, you could carry e.g. a small Rhodia bloc pad & use that to jot down quick thoughts, and reminders of things that you would like to write longer journal entries about later on.

Good luck :thumbup:

Sorry for the late response, I didn't realize that people replied to my question. I more struggle with finding the time for a couple of pages of long form journalling every day, I could do every week. I feel like it will help with my health and being able to talk with people. I think private storage at school will be okay, since people never go in my bag or my locker.

I like the idea of that as a fan of automatic/autowriting. Need to give it a go. Thanks!

If only I could do that on timed writing, I never had any good ideas until I was in my upper division writing class.

• 1 year later...

I agree that a great form of mental therapy is journaling, especially when done in an effort to improve insight.  Please bear in mind, that my methods, which I'm about to share, are just mine and they are in constant evolution based on how I'm feeling about my evolving habit of journaling.

I did it initially by typing in journalling software, and then an old mentor suggested writing.  He said that there's something extra in the writing process that he couldn't explain.  I have to say that I agree, and no longer do electronic journaling.  

Mine isn't formal journalling about events and insights/opinions into them, but just recording thoughts that come to mind, especially when there's an uncomfortable loss of mental equilibrium beyond the baseline.

I can only theorise that I grew up writing initially, making it a part of me that typing isn't.  Additionally, other parts of the brain may be engaged in the writing as opposed to typing process.  It could be that I just enjoy it more and that puts me in a more favourable state of mind for the critical journaling process. Writing also assists with focus. The thought/idea/opinion/belief becomes more clear when actually put into writing with the opportunity to review some time afterwards.  It can be fun when I'm writing a sentiment, only to realise that I disagree with it before finishing.  Additionally, I may write a statement that uncovers a fear that I wouldn't have uncovered without having penned the initial thought.

So I don't really see myself stopping, and so far, have not really been very disciplined about it, though it helps to be.  I may journal in earnest for a couple months and then do so once a week.  It waxes and wanes but it has not died.

I've grown to see the personal value in ensuring that the journaling experience is pleasant, while not distracting.  

- Nice, though not overly decorated, pen.

- pen with good ergonomics allowing for a long writing session.

- a conservative ink colour.  I go with more saturated colours... blues, blacks (of recently) and brown.

- nice stationery

IOW's, I try to show some respect for the occasion and give it, its due attention.  :)

Finally, I'm convinced that we can't do this alone and happily, we are definitely not alone, so find books that address this issue of distressing thoughts and feelings.  The great thing about books is that they lack the ability to impose or pressure you.   You are able to stop reading whatever makes you uncomfortable or disagree with, and put it aside.  You can make up your own mind about what you read and there are tons of opinions, beliefs, attitudes that are being shared by those who wish to share.  When you've heard something thought provoking, journal write about it.  Etc.  Write why you disagree or disagree.  Why you're disturbed etc.  You'll be surprised how much your 'inner self' surfaces, as it were, interjecting and/or disagreeing.  It's a lifelong exercise.

I'm hoping it will lead me to pen peace, but that's another thread... already underway.

Good luck and it's great that you ask! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Mercian just closed the thread at the first reply. Lately I was suggsted to do the same for life issues, letting all the bad thoughts outside your body and inside a notebok feels liberating.

Sure, problems won't be solved overnight, but it gives you a break before actually tackling them, one step at a time. Sadly, there's no time to idly doodle this year, at least books are easier to got through and give a sense of completing something over endless pages on bit notebooks. A5 sizes could be the answer for regular writing without feeling overwhelmed.

Always looking for new ways to downsize my collection.

My journalling is a list of daily tasks and thoughts. I can look back months ago and see what I did, was considering, and quotes that I wrote down. 

I used to feel that writing down something everyday was difficult until I adapted this approach. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"