New Twsbi Vac700R

WLSpec

Both Dromgoole's and TWSBI posted on their Instagram about a 2020 release that we can expect. It is a new Vac700R with rainbow trim and a rainbow nib. It looks like the same thing are the Aero Flame or some of those Visconti Pininfarina LEs. Pretty cool. The only image I could find online looks like an earlier concept, so the picture below doesn't include the rainbow nib, but TWSBI's posts a couple days ago showed the pen with a rainbow nib that looks like one of those Nemosine ones. So what do people think?

Picture:

post-145352-0-13202300-1581166939_thumb.png

Edited by WLSpec

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WLSpec

• mge01park

• Steveg58

• Al-fresco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I think it looks quite nasty. Cheap and tacky looking.

I see where you're coming from for sure. I actually don't mind it, though the rainbow colors are quite bright. Some flamed pens get richer colors in their rainbow design.

Reminds me a little of the Visconti Pininfarina Iridium or the Visconti Watermark pens, with bright colors, whereas the Kaweco Liliput flame or some of the Diplomat Aero/traveler have a darker, richer color scheme.

I think it's kinda cool. Doubt I'll buy one but it's nice to see something different.

I wish TWSBI would be a little more active in presenting different finishes besides just a cap color change, etc. Look at Opus 88; usually they release four colors of their models, and in some cases a clear demo as well. Or Platinum who cranks out new finishes regularly.

I think people would go nuts if TWSBI released the VAC700 (or any model really) in some interesting new trims. I'd love clear smoke or Visconti-esque swirl versions or an all-black stealth model.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this pic!

Looks hideously cheap.

I was really excited that TWSBI was doing something with my favorite model. Now I'm not.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I actually like it. I think I will pick one up.

So far as the finishes, a lot of companies do this. Lamy just posted some new pens that are le without any announcement, but they announced the tourmaline way in advance. Twsbi announced the rose gold Eco a while back, but this 700r is short notice. I don’t know why they do this but it isn’t just Twsbi. They did the same thing with the Twsbi Aurora.

I actually like it. I think I will pick one up.

So far as the finishes, a lot of companies do this. Lamy just posted some new pens that are le without any announcement, but they announced the tourmaline way in advance. Twsbi announced the rose gold Eco a while back, but this 700r is short notice. I don’t know why they do this but it isn’t just Twsbi. They did the same thing with the Twsbi Aurora.

Yeah. I wonder when it'll come out... I saw it on both TWSBI and Dromgoole's Instagram stories so I assume it will. They both said 2020 release. It's the first time I saw it though so they might do many more announcements and preparations before they actually release it.

Edited by WLSpec

Based on the few response here, it will definitely be a divisive design choice.

I am on the side of thinking it looks bad.

I wouldn't want to pass judgment without seeing it "in the flesh" - but am unlikely to buy it, so am not sure if that will ever happen!

• 8 months later...

Well, they just announced that it is releasing on Nov. 6th. Personally, I think the dual-tone nib with part rainbow is quite interesting.

It's not one for me, but maybe some people will like it. It's good to try different and unusual styles. What bugs me about the VAC700R is the way the barrel flares out just before the section- it looks very uncomfortable having such a large step there.

I don't have to please anyone other than myself and my 700R has become my goto EDC. So I'll be ordering one of those.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, Steveg58 said:

I don't have to please anyone other than myself and my 700R has become my goto EDC. So I'll be ordering one of those.

I googled EDC and found it what it is, glad to hear that it's serving that purpose. I carry my Orange Vac 700 daily and on some days drag the blue along for the ride. Both are great.

I got this pen, my first Vac700 and I absolutely love it. The nib and trims are just enough not to overpower the pen. I also find the barrel and section quite comfortable, and the purple ink sloshing around inside brightens my day. Finally I had Dan Smith grind the nib to a stub and it writes beautifully. Did I say I just love this pen?

On 12/16/2020 at 3:59 AM, mgepark said:

is there any difference between the original Vac 700, the 700R and 700 Iris besides color for the latter. Thanks. 

The 700 and 700R are different. The 700R and 700R Iris have cosmetic differences only as far as I can tell. All external metal parts on the 700R now have the iridescent coating and the section and piston knob are now clear instead of black. Spare Iris nibs do not seem to be readily available.

I like its photos very much but it seems to be sold out already (the Iris)?  Rather wild colors but this year seems to call for something like that.  I wish I were holding one in my hand right now...

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Different opinions but they seem to be sold out everywhere from what I see even TWSBI itself. I did buy one superfluously as I already had the original 700 Vac, then bought the R for no good reason and then the Iris which I really loved when I saw it. I also have the original 700 Vac in orange and blue. Different nib size on each which covers all sizes. Probably in my top 5 of usage and like since they were originally introduced.