Sailor Model History

nick2253

I have acquired a small collection of Sailor pens, and I'm looking for some information on the history of Sailor pens in order to identify them. I know that a lot of their pre-40's information was lost during the war, but I'm amazed at how little information I can turn up about their models from the 60's to the present. I've been able to find historic catalog pages and blogs about Pilot and Platinum, but I'm struggling with Sailor (apart from the 1911 model).

Does anyone have any catalogues of vintage Sailor pens (particularly from the 60's, 70's or 80's)? Or suggestions for a blog/website with more info?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• nick2253

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a copy of Lambrou/Sunami FPOJ.

You can also post photographs of your pens here. Some members are sure to assist.

Nobody has catalogues spanning the eras in question. Nor, are there any websites. There is one site that covers vintag Japanese pens but, it will not be useful to you.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thank you! The FPOJ suggestion is a great start. I haven't got around to photographing the pens yet, but as I do, I'll post them here for identification help.

When you say "nobody has catalogues", does that mean that no one has the catalogues that we know of, or does that mean that the catalogue never existed?

What is the name of the website? Even if it doesn't help me with this particular Sailor collection, I have a few other Japanese pens that I have not yet bothered to try and identify.

Thank you! The FPOJ suggestion is a great start. I haven't got around to photographing the pens yet, but as I do, I'll post them here for identification help.

When you say "nobody has catalogues", does that mean that no one has the catalogues that we know of, or does that mean that the catalogue never existed?

What is the name of the website? Even if it doesn't help me with this particular Sailor collection, I have a few other Japanese pens that I have not yet bothered to try and identify.

Don't know name. Here it is: https://ameblo.jp/kamisama-samasama/theme-10065914024.html

I have been buying, selling, and collecting Japanese pens for twenty years and have not heard of anyone having a supply of older catalogues. Sailor might. Might not too. Dealers do not need out of date catalogues so they get tossed. Who keeps them? Nobody unless they are kept almost by accident. Good luck finding them.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club