Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke 2020-2023

RMN

On 1/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, niksch said:

I'm sure they are one-offs, but I'd love a set for my pen case.

These were part of the later model boutique ink testing g station. It has slots for all the square shoe bottle colors offered st the time and a tray for the pens and the nib examples inadvertently pull out drawer. It is much larger than the older style nib tester sets that were more of a small box. I've seen one or two for sale, but shipping was prohibitive. 

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• DrDebG

• meiers

• Cyrille81

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, zaddick said:

These were part of the later model boutique ink testing g station. It has slots for all the square shoe bottle colors offered st the time and a tray for the pens and the nib examples inadvertently pull out drawer. It is much larger than the older style nib tester sets that were more of a small box. I've seen one or two for sale, but shipping was prohibitive. 

Had the earlier test set but this one does beat in in every respect although it does not have the 145 sized 'special' kugel ball nib variant. The 'toaster slots' are for writing pads, yeah nice desk piece but think I need a bigger desk !!

1 (1).JPG

1 (2).JPG

1 (3).JPG

1 (4).JPG

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 3 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I just received an email from Fritz Schimpf informing me the 149 with an O3B nib I ordered from them shipped today. This is my first new Montblanc pen (I own a 149 OB from the early 90's and a 146 from the 50's) and my first O3B. Very excited to receive it! 

1 hour ago, desgabets said:

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I just received an email from Fritz Schimpf informing me the 149 with an O3B nib I ordered from them shipped today. This is my first new Montblanc pen (I own a 149 OB from the early 90's and a 146 from the 50's) and my first O3B. Very excited to receive it! 

Fritz Schimpf is my absolute favourite stationery and pen store. 

It's been like Christmas as I've had two OBs arrive in the past two days.

The first was a 2019 production 149 bought barely used from a member here.

The second was a nice surprise to have show up in the mailbox today. I bought a 24 OB from a seller in Germany back in November. It seemingly vanished of the face of the earth after the acceptance scan on November 11th. I'd checked the tracking occasionally, but I'd hoped it would just show up in the mail box one today. It turns out today was the day!

IMG_2306.jpeg

~ bunnspecial:

Two OBs in the same week?

Terrific!

Thank you for the posting the image with handwriting sample.

What a splendid way to begin the 2021 writing year.

Tom K.

25 minutes ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ bunnspecial:

Two OBs in the same week?

Terrific!

Thank you for the posting the image with handwriting sample.

What a splendid way to begin the 2021 writing year.

Tom K.

Happy to!

These are actually my second and third oblique of the year. The first was a celluloid 144 OB, which has the nice benefit of a bit of flex in the nib also.

Not quite the same, but I have a 146 M(newish-maybe 90s) that I've never taken to and I need to have some flow adjustment done to it. I'm seriously considering having it ground to an OF.

I love your little collection. This photo made me smile. Thanks for making my day. And thank you for your wonderful pen photography. 

~ @Cyrille81:

Your writers are a joy to see!

Thank you for posting such attractive images.

Showing a series of views is helpful, providing visual context.

Very nice!

Tom K.

728000704_AfternoonPlatinum149OB.thumb.JPG.a8b39b28a8359a193e046ac249753d50.JPG

Afternoon Platinum 149 OB, supplied by Fritz Schimpf in Tübingen, Germany

Beautiful pen, Tom! Thanks for sharing. I am still waiting on my O3B 149 from Fritz Schimpf, which has been stuck in customs for close to three weeks now. I'm having a hard time resisting the temptation to buy a BB 149 while I wait!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the photos of your Bonaparte pen, Cyrille. It looks very impressive. I will be looking at the 4810 edition this weekend — the local MB Boutique is holding one for me. 

I love this forum!! Thanks to everyone for sharing your beauties--and Cyrille81 your photos & collection are pure pleasure!

...I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask (so please forgive me if not), but a question for those of you with a 149 in OBB, OBBB, and calligraphy flex....

I currently have a 149 OBB (& love it!) and am now contemplating another 149. 

I'm trying to decide between a 149 OBBB and a 149 with a calligraphy flex nib. I realize that this comes down ultimately to personal preferences, writing usage and so on, but I wonder if anyone would recommend one over the other?

My hesitations:  

1) that the line & writing experience of the OBBB might be so close to the OBB that the difference in writing experience won't seem worth it. (vs another MB SE model or etc). I've looked at a lot of online writing samples, and sometimes the line difference seems quite noticeable, other times not so much. 

2) that the 149 calligraphy flex might be too similar to Pilot's FA nib or etc. I don't mean to say they are on the same level or anything, but I've read mixed reviews....some singing its praises (especially its extra fineness without pressure), others indicating that it's not that different from the FA (or perhaps more closely, an FA with a Spencerian grind). So I haven't been able to get a clear picture of its merits....

Recommendations?

Hmm... I'd planned to gather feedback slowly & then deliberate carefully before making my final circumspect choice, but you can imagine how well that went, lol.

As it happened, I saw that the 149 flex nibs were available on MB's website, so went ahead & ordered out of fear that I might otherwise miss out. . . . . and theoretically, I will be able to assess the wisdom of my choice in another 8 days or so.

In terms of availability, have the 149 flex nibs been generally available, or did I luck into good timing by sheer accident?

I will never manage the beautiful calligraphic hand that some FPNers have demonstrated with their 149 flex pens, but hopefully it will be both usable for general writing & ready for some occasional calligraphic play.