Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• DrDebG

• meiers

• Cyrille81

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jmccarty3 said:

Sad, indeed, but not altogether unexpected.

~ As my all-knowing 15 year old West Texas students love to tell me: “It is what it is...”

Tom K.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, Tom Kellie said:

694042370_OuterBoxLabel.thumb.JPG.98d9156745559502f8b9acd0d23f05a4.JPG

Outer Box Label

655677208_FritzSchimpfShipment.thumb.JPG.87c645cbfa8e206e7586e453f20073cb.JPG

Fritz Schimpf Shipment

1843505254_MontblancGlacierPenandInk.thumb.JPG.49050b2f8d172566ac3b17fccaaa676b.JPG

Montblanc Glacier Pen and Ink

1585951560_InsidethePresentationBox.thumb.JPG.5a60fdd0ecdffcc5d3e5b569a5fc9c63.JPG

Inside the Presentation Box

1099769257_MontblancMeisterstuckGlacierEF.thumb.JPG.33bcf81640125117555055da127c4e68.JPG

Montblanc Meisterstück Le Grand Glacier EF

1010237048_GlacierSet.thumb.JPG.0003363972e64fb87737b9bd16828815.JPG

Glacier Set

344969979_GlacierEFNib.thumb.JPG.176f60919218cac0ee3d13f4826fe441.JPG

Glacier EF Nib

1876548842_MontblancDesign.thumb.JPG.126c853675459a93b6fab79b84a54923.JPG

Montblanc Design

801885454_FullLength.thumb.JPG.83f7013b84f0d382c7ff728665676dca.JPG

Full Length

1800350718_GlacierBlue.thumb.JPG.9bf05a0c2de95927ee6b1e9c4f3bd223.JPG

Glacier Blue

114350190_GlacierNote.thumb.JPG.ae788a6a580acda34588d0efeb171cac.JPG

@Tom Kellie:  Would it be possible for you to provide us with one of your wonderful writing samples using the Montblanc Glacier Blue ink in your Italic Edge?  Thanks!!

On 9/22/2022 at 5:28 PM, Seney724 said:

@Tom Kellie:  Would it be possible for you to provide us with one of your wonderful writing samples using the Montblanc Glacier Blue ink in your Italic Edge?  Thanks!!

~ @Seney724:

Yes, it would be possible.

Thank you for your request.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie:

Thanks for sharing the pen and the writing sample.

Enjoy it for years of writing.

Thanks, Montblanc, for continuing with the Donation Pen Special Edition program.

The funding of cultural projects is very important.

I have appreciated classical music since my teens (many decades ago) and I offer the following to this Montblanc program.

Eric Lu – Chopin: Preludes, Op. 28: No. 4 in E Minor, Largo - Bing video

On 8/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, Tom Kellie said:

1447477772_GlacierBlueandItalicEdge.thumb.JPG.1a8787078a38fc5168c29eb67d6ef1ab.JPG

Glacier Blue and Italic Edge

@Frank C This comparison might interest you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 10/1/2022 at 6:32 PM, Tom Kellie said:

https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/society/general-news/20221001-61713/

Handwriting ability on the wane in Japan

In the USA too (and maybe all over the world).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/10/gen-z-handwriting-teaching-cursive-history/671246/

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Took delivery on my first Bespoke nib yesterday. 2.4mm Bespoke Signature.

Still trying to learn how to get consistent line width when side writing. 

2.4bespoke.thumb.jpeg.abd9b4eb622575d48eea3da6e6427fa2.jpeg

7 hours ago, GOTO10 said:

Wow!! Congratulations! That's a beautiful nib 👍

8 hours ago, GOTO10 said:

Really beautiful.

Is this a 146 or 149?

Did you get to choose the line width? I wonder what is the maximum width the 146 nib can take.

It is a 146 nib, I had wanted to get a full silver nib but was told that was not possible during the video conference. Originally I wanted to get the nib on a different pan replaced but was told by my local boutique it was not possible.

I had a pretty good idea of the line width I wanted the nib to put down going into the meeting. After discussing the various options with Germany a 2.4mm bespoke signature was chosen. I wanted a line width that was still practice for daily use, so sizes above 3mm were not discussed.

The idea of a soft double broad also appeals to me, or large heritage signature or music if they ever release a nib sized like the 1914.

7 minutes ago, GOTO10 said:

It is a 146 nib, I had wanted to get a full silver nib but was told that was not possible during the video conference. Originally I wanted to get the nib on a different pan replaced but was told by my local boutique it was not possible.

I had a pretty good idea of the line width I wanted the nib to put down going into the meeting. After discussing the various options with Germany a 2.4mm bespoke signature was chosen. I wanted a line width that was still practice for daily use, so sizes above 3mm were not discussed.

The idea of a soft double broad also appeals to me, or large heritage signature or music if they ever release a nib sized like the 1914.

Thanks for the reply @GOTO10 

I am very interested to know more. Without a local boutique nearby, I'd like to get as much from you as possible.

Is this bespoke service limited to certain pens and not for all 146 and 149 nibs? I have a special edition that I may want a bespoke nib on. If the Montblanc says no to me, then I guess I can stop dreaming.

How hard is the nib? It sounded like the bespoke signature could go above 3mm.

What is a music nib? I thought yours is already a music. Or do you mean the calligraphy version of it?

Is soft double broad like a BB with flex?
I haven't heard of large heritage signature. What is that? Like a larger version of a music nib?

14 minutes ago, GOTO10 said:

Thanks for the photo of your gorgeous nib and, now, for sharing the story behind it.

I am curious, did you consider acquiring the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf 149 Italic Edge?  And, if yes, what made you choose the Bespoke nib instead?

38 minutes ago, axio said:

Thanks for the reply @GOTO10 

I am very interested to know more. Without a local boutique nearby, I'd like to get as much from you as possible.

Is this bespoke service limited to certain pens and not for all 146 and 149 nibs? I have a special edition that I may want a bespoke nib on. If the Montblanc says no to me, then I guess I can stop dreaming.

How hard is the nib? It sounded like the bespoke signature could go above 3mm.

What is a music nib? I thought yours is already a music. Or do you mean the calligraphy version of it?

Is soft double broad like a BB with flex?
I haven't heard of large heritage signature. What is that? Like a larger version of a music nib?

I had wanted to replace the nib on my PoA Morgan with the 2.4 signature but was told that was not possible. It was implied to(it may have been explicit but I don't want to put words in their mouth) me by my local boutique that they were no longer putting bespoke nibs on older LEs. I know someone who had a WE in Germany at the time and that 149 sized nib was replaced with a bespoke nib. This may have been a new policy at the time.

The nib has zero flex to it.

Did a bit of looking and you are correct. I have the "music signature" and the other is "music calligraphy". In my head I've always thought of them as bespoke signature and bespoke music.

My understanding of the soft double broad is that it is more like the heritage nibs or the new platinum 3775 10th anniversary nib, slightly more give when writing, but no more line variation than then standard BB.

Here is a link to a 1914 with the bespoke music calligraphy: https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/montblanc-heritage-collection-1914-limited-edition-1000-fountain-pen-2/

48 minutes ago, Seney724 said:

Thanks for the photo of your gorgeous nib and, now, for sharing the story behind it.

I am curious, did you consider acquiring the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf 149 Italic Edge?  And, if yes, what made you choose the Bespoke nib instead?

No, the Italic Edge was not available at the time. My order was placed in April. There were what I will generously describe as "significant" problems at Montblanc US that contributed to a quoted lead time from Germany of 6-8 weeks to turn into 19.5 weeks. I have an idea of what the cause of the issue was, but as they have not been willing to tell me when I directly asked I will leave it at that.

If I had known about the Italic Edge I would still have chosen the signature nib due to the line with it can put down. I also have yet to find an italic nib that I enjoy.

13 hours ago, GOTO10 said:

What a fantastic nib, and a double whammy - no need to search for a flat head screw driver in the future either!