• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Bibliophage

• Astronymus

• corniche

For me J Herbin is pronounced "too much for my budget these days" but I like the ones I have on hand.

Jacques Herbin perhaps? The luxury brand. J Herbin - regular brand

Add lightness and simplicate.

Didn't they got rid of the "J."? Just "Herbin" now.

Easy to pronounce by the way. Never learned French though. I guess it's easier for Europeans. Doesn't have to be a linguistic thing. Could be we just hear more french in our everyday life.

English is considered an easy language. The rules are basic and forgiving - as is pronounciation. That's why it is used world-wide for communication. Even the British and Americans don't speak the same English. American English has an older style as it didn't adapt some reformations like the British English did.

English is considered an easy language. The rules are basic and forgiving - as is pronounciation. That's why it is used world-wide for communication. Even the British and Americans don't speak the same English.

Even the English don't speak the same English :P

I once heard English described as the result of Norman men-at-arms trying to make dates with Saxon barmaids, and no more legitimate than any of the other results.

English speakers happily borrow terms from other languages, often with foreign spelling rules intact, rather than come up with a term in their own language for the concept, as the French do. Unlike French, there is no authority over the English language. You can blame the Americans, who are among its primary users and promoters, and are often anti-authoritarian. There are only people who do their best to document current usage, and those who propose manuals of style.

English is considered an easy language. The rules are basic and forgiving - as is pronounciation. That's why it is used world-wide for communication.

The easiness (which is in fact very far from being objective) is the last reason of the spread of English.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

The easiness (which is in fact very far from being objective) is the last reason of the spread of English.

I don't know. I imagine speaking french with all those mute sounds is a nightmare. That's why I took Latin back in school instead.

Wot? I like to sit hear when I brush my hare. When I'm dun I putt the brush in her bin. :D

Edited by Karmachanic

I don't know. I imagine speaking french with all those mute sounds is a nightmare. That's why I took Latin back in school instead.

Yet it used to be so, at least in diplomacy.

P.S.: A good thing about Latin is nobody can prove your pronunciation is incorrect :) While there are two main accepted "accents" (a central-western European & Italian), they are both a kind of artificial anyway. Nevertheless the pronunciation is very easy - for a European, not for a Japanese :) I would not call French phonetics very difficult, on the other hand, as a fellow mentioned above, try and understand nowadays youngsters in Paris - this language has almost nothing in common with what French actors used to speak decades ago.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

P.S.: A good thing about Latin is nobody can prove your pronunciation is incorrect :) While there are two main accepted "accents" (a central-western European & Italian), they are both a kind of artificial anyway. Nevertheless the pronunciation is very easy - for a European, not for a Japanese :) I would not call French phonetics very difficult, on the other hand, as a fellow mentioned above, try and understand nowadays youngsters in Paris - this language has almost nothing in common with what French actors used to speak decades ago.

That's true about Latin. More difficult is that it has been recorded by contemporaries that there were indeed differences in the Roman Empire itself. The upper classes spoke other Latin than the lower classes. And each province of the empire had at least one of its own accents. Some things just never change.

I once heard English described as the result of Norman men-at-arms trying to make dates with Saxon barmaids, and no more legitimate than any of the other results.

:lticaptd:

And I once saw it described (don't remember the precise phrase) as something like "mugging other languages in back alleys...". But I like your description -- it's funnier....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wot? I like to sit hear when I brush my hare. When I'm dun I putt the brush in her bin. :D

Why would you put the brush in Herbin? It's fountain pen ink.

English is a language that not only borrows from other languages, it mugs them in dark alleys and rummages in their pockets for loose grammar.

Why would you put the brush in Herbin? It's fountain pen ink.

English is a language that not only borrows from other languages, it mugs them in dark alleys and rummages in their pockets for loose grammar.

Thanks in particular for the second bit -- that was the quote I was trying to remember earlier.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/4/2020 at 10:23 PM, Bibliophage said:

English did have a more formal structure, but was mostly abandoned other than certain Mennonite groups. 'Thee, thou, and thine' singular. 'You and Yours' were plural. (similar to Tu and Vous in French) The King James version of the "Bible" is just standard educated English for the time period

What is your source of formalness surviving in some Mennonite groups? I do not ask from a place of accusation but rather a place of wanting to know more about my global faith family. I grew up in the Mennonite conference where you wouldn't know we were Mennonite by our clothes. I love to learn how other groups talk, dress and the myriad of head coverings our sisters must wear.

"Your library is your paradise."

--Desiderius Erasmus c.1466-1536

I know only a few things about the French and/or the French language.   

1.  In France, even if they are pretending they don't understand you, everyone in Paris understands English if you yell it loud enough at them.  (You've heard of the ugly American?  That's me!)

2.  The stereotype about the French loving their cheeses is absolutely true.  Every restaurant I went to had a cheese course. 

3.  They don't have any sense of humor about their cheese at all.   No one of them found it funny when asked if they had any cheese in the aerosol variety.  They would look at you in that snotty way and say "You'll have to cross the Atlantic to get your CheezWhiz, sir" and then huff off.

4.  I'm thankful the Nazi General von Choltitz didn't destroy Paris.  It's an incredible city and should be preserved, even if they do speak French.

5. J. Herbin "Émeraude de Chivor" roughly translated into English means "This ink rocks so freaking much and is so sexy, it's art in ink form!  Now aren't you glad we focused on awesome inks instead of winning that war?"  If Emeraude de Chivor was Kate Beckinsale, it makes all other inks look like the late Marty Feldman or Steve Buscemi by comparison!"   My French is a little rusty but that's the gist.  

"Life is too short to use boring ink!" - JPMH

15 hours ago, HauntedMyst said:

I know only a few things about the French and/or the French language.   

A couple of old friends of my mother's went on a trip to Paris (probably in the 1950s or 60s) and one of them was originally from IIRC Austria -- so she spoke French with a "European" accent which completely freaked out people in hotels and restaurants, because -- well -- Americans.  And a friend of mine -- whose dad was from Galicia, in NW Spain (north of Portugal) freaked out a French professor at WVU because she spoke French with a "European" accent as well (even though she was born in the US).

My parents took a bus trip around France (particularly to a lot of chateaus and such)  in the 1990s, IIRC -- and my mom told me later that the tour guide was I think from Normandy and had NOTHING good to say about Paris OR Parisians -- which was a bit of a problem since the bus driver WAS Parisian.... :rolleyes:

Oh and the amateur madrigal choir I'm in has sung stuff in Medieval French, and there are constant discussions about whether the pieces are "early" enough that end consonants are actually pronounced (or not) -- and if so, whether only when the next word starts with a vowel (or not...). JUST to confuse the issue. :huh: