Erasable Fountain Pen Ink?

Labrat7228

Just wondering, is there any such thing as an erasable fountain pen ink? I'm thinking probably not just because of the absorbing properties of fountain pen ink,

But would I ever love an erasable ink!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Olya

• JulieParadise

• Labrat7228

Hi Labrat 7228,

You're in luck, you'll need an eradicator marker, (Pelikan, Bic, Lamy and Paper Mate all make one - check Amazon to see what's currently available), but you can erase the following:

Waterman Serenity; (Parker) Quink Blue, (Washable & Permanent); Montblanc Royal Blue; Sheaffer Blue; Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue; Lamy Blue and I think Diamine Royal Blue. And I should note, the eradicator marker is brand universal; i.e., a Pelikan (Pirat) marker will also erase Montblanc Royal Blue, etc., (you don't need a MB marker to erase the MB ink).

Btw, if you noticed the trend - yes - it only works on classic royal blues; nothing else.

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

[...]

Btw, if you noticed the trend - yes - it only works on classic royal blues; nothing else.

Nope. ;) There is at least one more: Faber-Castell Pink. See https://www.faber-castell.de/produkte/Tintenglas30mlTintepinklöschbar/149856

I have bought this for my children and can confirm that it is indeed as erasable as the royal/washable blue(s).

Edited by JulieParadise

Nope. ;) There is at least one more: Faber-Castell Pink. See https://www.faber-castell.de/produkte/Tintenglas30mlTintepinklöschbar/149856

I have bought this for my children and can confirm that it is indeed as erasable as the royal/washable blue(s).

Hi Julie,

That's good to know- thanks! 👍

I know there are also a few Lamy colors that are erasable, too, but you need their special, color-keyed erasers to do it... and they're really hard to find, so I didn't bother to mention them.

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

This one (FC Pink) works with the standard "Tintenkiller" my children also use for their washable blues.

Hi Julie,

I know; that's what I gathered from what you said. I'm going to try to get a bottle of it here in the States; I'm a fan of erasable inks. :D

One thing to bear in mind, though; the erasers for blue ink have the blue touch-up pen on the reverse end. With the pink ink, you may be able to erase with the standard eradicator markers, but you wouldn't be able to re-write over the space, (except in contrasting blue ink). So, to be truly useful, you'd have to wrangle yourself the pink eraser markers, too.

Hi Labrat 7228,

You're in luck, you'll need an eradicator marker, (Pelikan, Bic, Lamy and Paper Mate all make one - check Amazon to see what's currently available), but you can erase the following:

Waterman Serenity; (Parker) Quink Blue, (Washable & Permanent); Montblanc Royal Blue; Sheaffer Blue; Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue; Lamy Blue and I think Diamine Royal Blue. And I should note, the eradicator marker is brand universal; i.e., a Pelikan (Pirat) marker will also erase Montblanc Royal Blue, etc., (you don't need a MB marker to erase the MB ink).

Diamine Royal Blue isn't erasable, but their washable blue should be.

Aurora Blue is erasable.

Any German ink called "Königsblau" (i.e. "Royal Blue") is erasable, as it is, what is in the English speaking world called, a "washable blue".

Back in the far-off, long-gone days of my childhood, before the www or man-portable mobile telephones had been created, and when there were no more than four television channels here (i.e. when Hector was a pup) at school we used to be able to erase inks in more colours than just ‘washable blue’.

We used to use these...

Obviously the modern chemical-eraser-pens are more convenient and easier to use than the archaic abrasive erasers of my childhood, but can you write over an area on which one has been deployed? Or does using them rule out writing on that area ever again?

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Diamine Royal Blue isn't erasable, but their washable blue should be.

Aurora Blue is erasable.

Hi Oyla,

Thanks for the clarifications. I've been through a lot of inks and wasn't sure which Diamine it was, so I used the "I think" disclaimer. I also have Aurora blue, but could not remember if I ever tried to erase it, so thanks for that info as well. :D

Hi Oyla,

Thanks for the clarifications. I've been through a lot of inks and wasn't sure which Diamine it was, so I used the "I think" disclaimer. I also have Aurora blue, but could not remember if I ever tried to erase it, so thanks for that info as well. :D

You're welcome & no worries!

There's a list on this forum somewhere, google "ink eradicator site:fountainpennetwork.com" or "erasable ink" and the various topics will pop up with lists and info (some ages old, but no manufacturer has changed their formulas, so the lists remain current).

What's really interesting is Faber-Castell pink! I've never had an ink eradicator erase any ink except washable blues (incl Quink "permanent" blue (I wonder what the heck is then the difference to the washable? It is darker, but I didn't expect this to be erasable..)).

Most inks I've tried an eradicator on will change their hue to some degree though, but not disappear.

You're welcome & no worries!

There's a list on this forum somewhere, google "ink eradicator site:fountainpennetwork.com" or "erasable ink" and the various topics will pop up with lists and info (some ages old, but no manufacturer has changed their formulas, so the lists remain current).

What's really interesting is Faber-Castell pink! I've never had an ink eradicator erase any ink except washable blues (incl Quink "permanent" blue (I wonder what the heck is then the difference to the washable? It is darker, but I didn't expect this to be erasable..)).

Most inks I've tried an eradicator on will change their hue to some degree though, but not disappear.

Hi Oyla,

Quink Permanent Blue is darker and deeper in tone than their Washable blue; both are erasable. The designations refer to clothes, not paper.

Hi Oyla,

Quink Permanent Blue is darker and deeper in tone than their Washable blue; both are erasable. The designations refer to clothes, not paper.

You're right, even I said a little while ago that "washable" refers to clothes and not other attributes :D it's just that whenever I think of washable blues, I'm back at school in my mind, writing with that pale, washed out ink, which even when coming out beautifully would dry down to a dull blue and fade a bit over time..... :( Then the ink eradicator works on inks like Quink Permanent Blue and Aurora Blue etc and the dread is immediately there that they'll also fade and behave like my school ink used to!

Though Aurora Blue and Quink Permanent Blue have been stable so far, in my limited use.

Must eventually get my hands on some Waterman ink and see how that fares... (Then the talk that Waterman inks and Quink are the same ink, just in different bottles... hmmmm... :huh: )

Must eventually get my hands on some Waterman ink and see how that fares... (Then the talk that Waterman inks and Quink are the same ink, just in different bottles... hmmmm... :huh: )

I cannot speak about the other colours of Waterman ink & Parker Quink, only the basic blues, but:

I have a bottle of 2013 Waterman Serenity Blue, some old cartridges of Waterman Florida Blue (it’s the same stuff), and a 2019 bottle of Parker Quink ‘Blue’.

PQB is not the same ink as WSB.

The only Quink ‘Washable Blue’ that I have is in cartridges that date from the 2000s, but that ink is also not WSB.

Hope that helps.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I cannot speak about the other colours of Waterman ink & Parker Quink, only the basic blues, but:

I have a bottle of 2013 Waterman Serenity Blue, some old cartridges of Waterman Florida Blue (it’s the same stuff), and a 2019 bottle of Parker Quink ‘Blue’.

PQB is not the same ink as WSB.

The only Quink ‘Washable Blue’ that I have is in cartridges that date from the 2000s, but that ink is also not WSB.

Hope that helps.

It does actually, I'll definitely have to get my mitts on some Waterman inks sooner or later!

Btw, I don't know if you've seen the threads and discussions, but the rumour that Waterman & Quink are the same exists because behaviour tests like water resistance and chromatography seem to show the same make-up. Add to that the French location of production and the fact that both companies belong to the same parent company, and speculation is rife that it's the same but with different packaging...

Regardless, I really need to get some Waterman inks to compare myself and the bottles are also really good looking, beautiful and seemingly practical!

Edited by Olya

Add Monteverde Malibu Blue to that list. Monteverde also sells this same eradicator marker, I got one as a promo at a pen show.

Just wondering, is there any such thing as an erasable fountain pen ink?

That depends on how you attempt to erase it, I suppose? A rubber eraser that you would use for pencil marks is not the only method of erasing something physically.

I've encountered a few inks that would be completely washed out without a trace, if the page is left to soak in water for an hour, so irrespective of whether those inks are absorbed by the fibres in the paper, water will cause the dye(s) in the ink to be separated from them again.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

For the #50shadesofbluechallenge (link to the hashtag on Instagram), a challenge over at the German PenExchange forum for July & August 2020, I inked up all my pens with all the 50+ blue inks I have. The snapshots might also be of interest to some here as this ink is Lamy Blue, one of the many standard royal blues that are erasable.

fpn_1598800621__2020_08_06_50sob_lamy_bl

Many children in European schools tend to loathe this ink after their school career is over as they write with it day-in-and-day-out.

fpn_1598800645__2020_08_06_50sob_lamy_bl