I Am Doing Incowrimo Because...

Misfit

Here’s another, slightly different letter writing thread. I wrote to two, only one kept replying. He’s a great pen pal.

Posted Image

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• sharonspens

• flyingfox

• asnailmailer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am participating again this year. I think this is year eight if I recall correctly. I believe 2014 was my first go round. As of today, February 3, ten letters or cards have been sent. That includes a couple of letters that were finished late last week, but didn't get to the mailbox until Monday.

How long have we been corresponding now, Misfit? Couple of years anyway.  I haven't always used the incowrimo website for addresses. All sorts of resources. For example, this year I am writing to current pen pals, family members (four so far - a nephew whose wife just gave birth to their second child/first daughter, an uncle who was very ill recently (he is 101), an aunt who I sent a Christmas card to, but the USPS returned the card, and my mom who is in a care center with limited outside contacts), four responses to letters in que and two others. One of those is an old friend who just lost his mom. I like to write a couple of people in other countries at any given time.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

That’s a good question. I think InCoWriMo got us started as pen pals @Runnin_Ute.  I’d say at least 3 years.  Perhaps more.  I just checked because I tend not to clear out the PM area. We started writing in 2016!

May I add that because of letter writing, some of us develop friendships that exist through letters. It doesn’t always happen, but it can. 

Edited by Misfit
More details
Posted Image

23 hours ago, Misfit said:

That’s a good question. I think InCoWriMo got us started as pen pals @Runnin_Ute.  I’d say at least 3 years.  Perhaps more.  I just checked because I tend not to clear out the PM area. We started writing in 2016!

May I add that because of letter writing, some of us develop friendships that exist through letters. It doesn’t always happen, but it can. 

2016! I guess that would be right. I probably still have the first letter you sent me.

It sure can. I have several I consider friends.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I put 6 letters in the mail today. Weather affected getting out. 

I wrote two letters today. I’m now caught up, and back on schedule for a letter a day. 

Edited by Misfit
To add more
Posted Image

I am a bit behind- mailed out 11 pieces so far. I have been a bit distracted, ah well, life happens. I know I will catch up.

I took three letters to mail today. I know of four people to write to. I’m going to have to give some thought to who to write to after those letters are done. 

With more Postal pain planned by the Postmaster General, I might will have to participate in National Card and Letter Writing Month, which is April. I tried once, but didn’t keep up. 

Posted Image

17 hours ago, Misfit said:

I can write the letters. But mail?  I’m taking 6 to the PO drop box today. 

I feel this in my soul. I mailed 5 letters yesterday... Why is it so hard to take a quick trip to the PO? 😅

🐌 💌 📬 Snail mail enthusiast & ink swatching fiend. Trade inks with me here🎨🌈🖋️

round-letter-exc.pnground-ink-exc.png

Flip side... after participating for several years I am taking 2021 off.  A couple of issues made it impractical this year and I was also curious about how many random pieces of mail i would get (no including my regular dozen or so pen pals)  It's Feb 21st and so far that answer is 2.  I kinda thought that number would have been higher.  Oh well...

18 hours ago, Percy said:

I feel this in my soul. I mailed 5 letters yesterday... Why is it so hard to take a quick trip to the PO? 😅

Part of my issue was snow on the driveway. But once it got cleared, I got to the Post Office drop box. I missed writing yesterday, and only wrote one today. I’ll have to make it up. I haven’t been getting replies, but my mailing pattern explains that. 

Posted Image

I am still running a bit behind, a little over 2 days left and 5 more pieces to mail out. Ah, well, I am having fun anyways. It is a bit challenging because the postal service is “feast or famine” mode, and it’s been hard to find a good pace. Letters from at least some countries in Europe seem to get here every 6-8 weeks, in bulk... a bit overwhelming....

Incidentally, I have one “artificially inflated” piece of mail. It was a bit crazy- in mid Feb., I sent out a birthday card to a friend whose birthday in mid- March. Then- a couple of days later, I got her Christmas card which was mailed out in early December, and found out that she had moved!!! So I went ahead and sent her another one, to a new address, with a note explaining what happened, grrrr. 

With the last day of InCoWriMo upon us, I need to write two letters to get to 28.  I also have 5 to mail, no real excuses.

I wish I’d done what a pen pal did, and counted some I wrote in late January for February. But I can get two written. 

Posted Image

I can't believe it's the 28th already! I'm on track with letters, somehow, even after struggling with health issues for the latter half of the month that prevented me from writing as much as I'd like. But now I've got a huge stack of letters to reply to - and I'm anxious to start sending them off soon! What a lovely "problem" to have! :wub:

🐌 💌 📬 Snail mail enthusiast & ink swatching fiend. Trade inks with me here🎨🌈🖋️

round-letter-exc.pnground-ink-exc.png

I didn't write at all this weekend, the three that arrived on Friday, I responded to Friday evening and they got in Saturday's (2/27) mail. That brought me to 45. Three arrived on Saturday. I decided to make those March responses. 

I got a lot out early - nine on February 1. I held two responses that I finished in late January, and then I did some to some friends and family that I didn't expect responses from. A condolences card upon the passing of a friend's mother. A card to my mother's sister, and an uncle who was ill recently (he is 101). Mom is in a care center and I thought she might like to get something in the mail.  A nephew and his wife in California who just had a baby. I did get acknowledgements from the friend whose mother passed and my nephew and his wife via electronic means. (social media direct messages)

The ins and outs were odd this year:

2/1-2/7: IN: 4(4) OUT: 11 (11)

2/8-2/14: IN: 7 (11) OUT: 5 (16)

2/15-2/21: IN: 4(15) OUT: 12 (28)

2/22-2/28: IN: 8 (2 on 2/25)(23) OUT: 17(45)

I think that some of the low numbers received between 2/15 and 2/25 was at least in part due to the bad weather many areas of the country experienced.

Brad

I got 6 in the mail today, and wrote 2.  I just finished that letter, reaching 28!

Let the celebration begin!

Now to the Winter Reading Challenge, 2 books to go by March 15.  InCoWriMo took reading time somewhat. But it’s nice to have another full year of InCoWriMo done successfully. 

—> I checked, and this is my third year in a row at successfully completing InCoWriMo. 

Edited by Misfit
Add the years of InCoWriMo
Posted Image

So I sent out 25 pieces of mail total, BUT if I include the ones that were written on Jan. 30 and 31, it’s up to 29 LOL. Also- some of my letters are crazy L-O-N-G. As in 4 pages on computer-size paper, double sided, and my handwriting is on the smaller side. Some of the letters in my European pile were from pals whom I hadn’t heard from since the summer, and had a LOT to catch up.

All that is to say I am declaring InCoWriMo 2021 “successful” completion LOL!

♪(๑ᴖ◡ᴖ๑)♪

• 10 months later...

So,  are you participating in InCoWriMo this year?

I’ve participated, but just barely for the last two years because of work pressures. I’ve retired now so I am looking forward to upping my correspondence game.

Anyone else?

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire