WLSpec

Appreciate if you could elaborate...

You sent in a "full window" 146 for MB service and they returned it as a newer "striped window" 146 with your old nib swapped over?

Might I ask roughly when (year?) did they serve you & what level service it was?

Does this mean MB cannot fix the "full windows" anymore? No more parts?

Sadly my big window 146 has sprung a leak :(

Hello tamlya

Can't recall exactly when, as I've had a few services recently - but definitely within the last five years.

And all replacement parts are modern - so you would get a striped ink window.

I had had this pen for years, replaced a few broken collars and some other bits and pieces - but in the end a barrel crack (leaking) was the final straw which meant a service was necessary.

I did try to purchase a replacement barrel (ebay, classifieds etc) but never found one.

However, on a positive note, the pen I got back is a superb reliable daily writer.

It was a level two service and everything was replaced, except the nib and the cap.

(I had read that the older caps wouldn't fit the new bodies, but this one fits perfectly)

Sorry to hear your pen has a leak. I'm afraid that unless you can find a replacement barrel, you may have to move on to a striped window, via a MB service.

Enjoy.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WLSpec

• CS388

• Tasmith

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update: Still skipping after 2 days in water and an ink change. Might try to get the nib tuned.

Have you tried flossing the nib? Could be just some fluff obstructing ink flow.

Sorry to hear your pen has a leak. I'm afraid that unless you can find a replacement barrel, you may have to move on to a striped window, via a MB service.

Thank you for your confirmation. Methinksif MB cannot return a Big Window... no harm my trying DIY first then :) if worst case eventuates, I can then send the smouldering remains to MB & they'll be able resurrect.

Yeah it's just a personal annoyance/pity... I found this nice Big Window two tone 18k next to a Striped Window 14k nib at our local pen show 2019. It's minty condition with no dint damage whereas the newer striped cousin was evidently preowned by a CHEWER 8( plus in my eagerness think I probably paid over the odds. I did dip test it & it wrote nice... never thought to fill test it.

Slight irony being... I've bought from same seller before in previous years, one of which was a small Vac. He said it worked fine when he last used it, but when I later tried filling it found the sac had totally shattered to smithereens. Have enough pens with sac issues so I thought I'd play it smart this time :P let's try something Piston filled... after all if the piston operates, it's all good right?

Prof Murphy from School of Hard Learning has awarded me an Advanced Diploma.

Have you tried flossing the nib? Could be just some fluff obstructing ink flow.

I can't remember if I have, but I'll do this in case I haven't

Hi WLSpec, If the Curly W means your in the Washington, DC area, Bertram's Inkwell offers pen-nib repair and tuning service: https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/pen-services-repairs.html

Also, the Baltimore Pen Show is in a couple of weeks. I had Linda Kennedy from Indy-Pen-Dance regrind and tune my 146 medium into a Cursive Italic stub several years ago. https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Show-Schedule.html

Edited by Tasmith

Hi WLSpec, If the Curly W means your in the Washington, DC area, Bertram's Inkwell offers pen-nib repair and tuning service: https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/pen-services-repairs.html

Also, the Baltimore Pen Show is in a couple of weeks. I had Linda Kennedy from Indy-Pen-Dance regrind and tune my 146 medium into a Cursive Italic stub several years ago. https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Show-Schedule.html

Yes, I was thinking about getting it done at Baltimore. The Nibsmith will be there, though he does appointments I think, I didn't know IndyPenDance was going to be there, so that's a possibility, and I'm sure there are many others. I may try that, but if not, I might just send it in to someone to get the nib tuned.

No. No issue at all.

I had a fin missing for years on my 146, no change in performance, or any other aspect of the pen.

Enjoy.

a fin of the ebonite feed recently came out. Could this cause any major flow issues? The pen seems fine for now

Was this NOS or just new to you? I would also give it a good cleaning. I have had a couple of new MB's that after a couple of weeks of use got a lot wetter. Before that different inks and cleanings didn't make a difference. It was just something that needed to break in..

Thanks for this feedback. I am experiencing a similar thing in a 145 and it is good to know that I just need to keep writing with it and be patient.

No. No issue at all.

I had a fin missing for years on my 146, no change in performance, or any other aspect of the pen.

Enjoy.

Okay, thanks for letting me know

Hi all !

if you want to clean your Pens, best way is to remove the nib unit and then you can clean it with water perfect !

i bought it at: penweb.de

available for 146 and 149

post-151285-0-10087800-1581753404_thumb.jpeg

kind regards from Vienna

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

My two favorite brick and mortor pen stores:

Bertram's Inkwell in Rockville, MD. https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/ecommerce/montblanc/fountain-pens.html

Anderson Pens in Appleton, WI and Chicago, IL. https://andersonpens.com/pens/montblanc/meisterstuck/?sort=featured&page=1

Edited by Tasmith

My two favorite brick and mortor pen stores:

Bertram's Inkwell in Rockville, MD. https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/ecommerce/montblanc/fountain-pens.html

Anderson Pens in Appleton, WI and Chicago, IL. https://andersonpens.com/pens/montblanc/meisterstuck/?sort=featured&page=1

Love Bertram's

Never been to Chicago, so can't say I love Anderson yet! Their online store is quite nice, though. I was considering getting an Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl from them recently. Might do a Bexley instead.

WLspec, if you are still having problem with this pen, please consider taking it to a nibmeister to get it fixed. He/she might also be able to get you a replacement feed. A plastic feed with broken fins is not only unsightly, but can cause flow problems. If you decide to disassemble nib unit, once you unscrew out the nib unit, try to knock out the nib/feed from behind on a nib block, instead of pulling them out, to avoid losing more fins.

Love Bertram's

Never been to Chicago, so can't say I love Anderson yet! Their online store is quite nice, though. I was considering getting an Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl from them recently. Might do a Bexley instead.

Pen repair tomorrow, Saturday, 7 March 2020 at Bertram's:

https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/events.html

A missing feed fin, whether ebonite or 0lastic, will not cause flow issues. You don't even need the find at all for proper flow.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Hi zaddick, I don't believe that this is the case. The fins of these feeds are to help regulate the ink flow by temporally holding the excess ink from the feed in the air channels instead of going to the nib directly. That's the theory. I had one of these Montblanc pens with the notorious thin fins on plastic feed prone to breaking off during disassembly. One broke off and the rest became more widely apart and wobbly. The pen wrote uncontrollably wet after that. I had the feed replaced with an older ebonite version of much more solid construction and it fixed the problem.

A missing feed fin, whether ebonite or 0lastic, will not cause flow issues. You don't even need the find at all for proper flow.