WLSpec

Just got a new 146 AND my first MB in the mail! it is great, got it off classifieds. Just wanted to show it off a bit here.

It is a '80-'90 146 with a full ink window (now really visible in pictures because of the ink inside) and a soft monotone fine nib.

My apologies for the terrible photography (and sideways picture it seems... how to change that, I'm not sure) :lol:

The only issues are some skipping problems and hard starting, which is unfortunately quite frequent, but I will try to solve that. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

post-145352-0-98817500-1580428049_thumb.jpg

post-145352-0-27901100-1580428058_thumb.jpg

post-145352-0-76044500-1580428645_thumb.jpg

Edited by WLSpec

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WLSpec

• CS388

• Tasmith

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats! These are really nice pens! Love mine!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Just got a new 146 AND my first MB in the mail! it is great, got it off classifieds. Just wanted to show it off a bit here.

It is a '80-'90 146 with a full ink window (now really visible in pictures because of the ink inside) and a soft monotone fine nib.

My apologies for the terrible photography (and sideways picture it seems... how to change that, I'm not sure) :lol:

The only issues are some skipping problems and hard starting, which is unfortunately quite frequent, but I will try to solve that. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

~ WLSpec:

Thank you for posting these images here.

It's especially nice to see a handwriting sample from your 146.

The monotone golden nib is eye-pleasing.

May it eventually become a cherished, reliable writer for you.

Tom K.

Lovely pen, you might find after a week or two of use it sorts itself out. I dont know the science of why but it seems to work.

We shall see! Hopefully you are right.

~ WLSpec:

Thank you for posting these images here.

It's especially nice to see a handwriting sample from your 146.

The monotone golden nib is eye-pleasing.

May it eventually become a cherished, reliable writer for you.

Tom K.

Thank you, I think it will :)

Was this NOS or just new to you? I would also give it a good cleaning. I have had a couple of new MB's that after a couple of weeks of use got a lot wetter. Before that different inks and cleanings didn't make a difference. It was just something that needed to break in.

If it was a used MB and just new to you let it soak in pen flush over night and you will be amazed at the amount of dried ink that didn't clean out in a normal flush or cleaning.

Was this NOS or just new to you? I would also give it a good cleaning. I have had a couple of new MB's that after a couple of weeks of use got a lot wetter. Before that different inks and cleanings didn't make a difference. It was just something that needed to break in.

If it was a used MB and just new to you let it soak in pen flush over night and you will be amazed at the amount of dried ink that didn't clean out in a normal flush or cleaning.

Just new to me - got it used off classifieds. It is in wonderful condition and I did a thorough cleaning, but perhaps a little more cleaning would be wise. I actually don't use pen flush, I have always been loyal to distilled water, is it something you would recommend?

Edited by WLSpec

Just new to me - got it used off classifieds. It is in wonderful condition and I did a thorough cleaning, but perhaps a little more cleaning would be wise. I actually don't use pen flush, I have always been loyal to distilled water, is it something you would recommend?

I would say 90% of the time water alone is totally fine and all that is needed, but on something like your new pen I've seen pens that look fully clean using water or a single flush with pen flush put out so much ink after soaking over night you can't see through the liquid. Long dried ink that reduces flow just doesn't dissolve in 15min of cleaning with water. On a used 149 that was in mint condition I bought I think I had to soak it several times to really get clean. My guess someone filled it once and then never used it again letting it sit for like 15 years.

Again I don't use flush unless really needed like a used pen or one that was allowed sit long enough to dry out its ink supply. A couple of weeks ago I cleaned a batch of 30 pens and I think I only used my pen flush on one of them and that was mostly to remove ink long dried in the section of a demonstrator.

I use Goulet pen flush, but buy some from any pen dealer you normally use. That are going to be all about the same. You can make some but that seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. The stuff lasts a very long time and you can reuse it until you find it disgusting.

Congratulations. That's very nice.

In my opinion, these are the best of the resin 146 models.

Mine went in for a service, so I lost the nice ink window etc, but still have the wonderful monotone nib.

Hope you enjoy it in good health.

Congratulations. That's very nice.

Mine went in for a service, so I lost the nice ink window etc, but still have the wonderful monotone nib.

Hope you enjoy it in good health.

Thank you.

Edited by WLSpec

Lovely pen! That era produced my favorites

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Appreciate if you could elaborate...

You sent in a "full window" 146 for MB service and they returned it as a newer "striped window" 146 with your old nib swapped over?

Might I ask roughly when (year?) did they serve you & what level service it was?

Does this mean MB cannot fix the "full windows" anymore? No more parts?

Sadly my big window 146 has sprung a leak :(