Need Some Green Ink Suggestions

Vunter

I just bought a Pelikan M600 in Green. I own several inks that lean on the side of teal or turquoise so I'm looking for my true greens. I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on green ink.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vunter

• corniche

• MKeith

• DonM

I just bought a Pelikan M600 in Green. I own several inks that lean on the side of teal or turquoise so I'm looking for my true greens. I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on green ink.

Hi Vunter,

I agree with Noihvo with the Sauvage; you may also want to check out Pelikan Dark Green and Diamine Sherwood.

Hope this helps.

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Not sure if you want a bright or darker shade. Some suggestions:

Diamine Sherwood Green

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green

Pelikan 4001 Dark Green

Montblanc Irish Green

Edit: beaten to the punch by corniche :)

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

I would add to the above suggestions:

Pelikan Edelstein Adventurine

Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku

Edit: Congrats in the green M600. Enjoy the wonderful pen. The green-striped Pelikan Souverän is my favorite color among Pelikans, and the M600 is my favorite model.

Edited by N1003U

If you happen to have a talent for sniffing out buried caches of long-discontinued inks, there's Parker Penman Emerald.

Diamine's website might be a good place to start - they offer umpteen shades of green.
IIRC TheWritingDesk.co.uk also shows swatches of all their inks by colour - and they stock loads of diffferent ones.

Whatever you get recommended to you, I advise you to read a few reviews of that ink here first - not just to check for properties such as shading, feathering, bleeding, writing 'dry' or 'wet' etc, but because people's individual perceptions of colours are so very varied.
What seems 'true green' to me (Penman Emerald) might possibly seem to you to lean towards blue or yellow or earthy-brown. Or you might find that you actually prefer 'earthy' shades of green (e.g. Diamine ‘Classic Green’) over bright ones.

Good luck!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Try samples! Many samples! All the samples! ok...

Greens...

+1 for Lierre Sauvage, it's perfectly balanced between yellow and green, not too dark, not too light.

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine, it's an ink of the year (2017?) but I still see it available in several places. It's pelikan so it matches your pen if you're into that. I'm going through a sample right now, and it's good, much more true than Aventurine that leans blue a lot.

I love Iroshizuku but their greens leave a lot to be desired imo. Chiku Rin is absolutely gorgeous but I cannot recommend it as a staple green because it's so light, definitely try it, or get the smaller bottle because it's an awesome ink, but if you need something to reliably write every day in a variety of situations... hmmm no. Shin Ryoku is already too blue for me but might work for you.

Herbin (who makes Lierre Sauvage) also makes Vert Empire which I absolutely adore. It's a lot less saturated, but slightly darkes and dusty... makes me think of oxide of chromium green.

For more formal settings: Noodler's Zhivago, added bonus of being bulletproof (iirc), or Iroshizuku Hoteison, another limited edition sadly, very dark... the best aprroximation of a green-black if you ask me.

Diamine: Green Black is much lighter and greener than Hoteison, and it's about 10 times less expensive. Sherwood Green is a true green, a tad darker than Lierre Sauvage. Emerald leans slightly yellow and is lighter but still perfectly readable in a fine nib.

Last but not least: Organics Studio James Joyce Hunter Green (yes, that mouthful). It tags along Hoteison, lagging a bit behind in blackness, but more vibrant.

Shameless plug: I did a comparison of 4 green inks (including Lierre Sauvage and Sherwood Green) just a few days ago. Feel free to peruse the subforum dedicated to ink comparisons and reviews, and good luck with your green!

I'll add one that I think you might want to stay away from: Bad Belted Gator. It's a nice color and I use it often, but only with dip pens as - at least with my pens - it leaves a hard stain to remove.

Two places I window shop for hues are Mountain of Ink and Goulet Pens, both of which have menus that let you select only one color category of their inks (goulet sells ink, M of I is just a blog). After jotting down some ideas I hit the FPN ink review section.

Pelikans are typically wet writers so any ink in one is going to show more on the dark side of what it is capable of.

My current greens are Diamine Sherwood, what I would call a deep forest green, Sailor Tokiwa-matsu, brownish olive, Birmingham Pens Southside Park Fern Moss, a grayed slate green, and R & K Alt-gold-grun, an unusual spring green with olive tones, hard to describe. I have lots of teals, too. Love teal.

You will probably need to experiment if you haven't written much with green inks. I found I just hated bright green, and only liked greens that are "to one side" -- either brownish or blackish or grayish or blueish.

For my Pelikans I usually use:

Pelikan 4001 Dark Green

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine

Montblanc Irish Green

Hi,

Diamine Evergreen is what I would call a true green.

Not warm like Diamine Classic Green, not cold like Diamine Green-Black, not blueish like Diamine Dark Forest or even Pelikan 4001 Dark green.

Evergreen is a very nice dark green. If a tad more blue is fine for you, Akkerman Dou's Emerald Groen is great, too. And it comes in the legendary bottle...

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Diamine Sherwood seems to be popping up a lot so I think I'm gonna give Diamine Sherwood a go.

Diamine Sherwood is always a safe bet; just don't use it when you write to a newspaper editor. ;)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/green-ink_brigade

Sean :D

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

MB Irish Green

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

My favorites are:

MontBlanc Irish Green

Diamine Umber

Noodlers Forest Green

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Herbin (who makes Lierre Sauvage) also makes Vert Empire which I absolutely adore. It's a lot less saturated, but slightly darkes and dusty... makes me think of oxide of chromium green.

Diamine: Green Black is much lighter and greener than Hoteison, and it's about 10 times less expensive. Sherwood Green is a true green, a tad darker than Lierre Sauvage. Emerald leans slightly yellow and is lighter but still perfectly readable in a fine nib.

A lot of nice suggestions here, but I agree the 2 mentioned here are quite nice and are among my personal favorites. They are very different. Vert Empire is obviously less saturated, but I love its muted quality. In a wet pen Diamine Green Black seems almost black. Of course, not exactly a true green.

My personal favorite is Noodlers Green Marine, but if that leans too teal have a look at Noodlers [no special name] Green or the Forest Green mentioned earlier. R&K Verdura if you want a bright green. Monteverde Green for more subdued but not dull.

J Herbin Lierre Sauvage

Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

Montblanc Irish Green

Kaweco Palm Green

Visconti Green

Posted Image