• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• zaddick

• silverlifter

• Karmachanic

this is really a heart torture, the sadness is that the seller does not ship outside the US, and i am not in the US i will email him and see if he changes his mind (ps: i am praying it doesnt get sold :P)

this is really a heart torture, the sadness is that the seller does not ship outside the US, and i am not in the US i will email him and see if he changes his mind (ps: i am praying it doesnt get sold :P)

Been out on holiday and then sick. But mostly functional now.

This pen is the ad is interesting. it keeps going up in price. Before this ad it was like $3800 at last years LA show and it was more like $2500 the year before that. I think it is aggressively priced, but there are people out there who are willing to pay then so be it.

Makes me wonder what I could get for mine with a plain ebonite body or I could put it into my Classic Pens one-of-a kind LB5 prototype and see how much money i could shake free from a deep pocket. :D :rolleyes:

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You deserve the compliment, specially after seeing that amazing pen collection and the effort you have put as a pen enthusiast in collecting them, good job!

1) Regarding the specialty nibs, have you noticed a significant difference in the KOP specialty nibs and the similar nibs on the 1911 Large versions? i currently own a naginata togi B in 1911L model but wondering if the KOP would be in any terms different (in terms of writability, wetness, feel ...)

2) I had no clue that the offered it for 600$ more than the usual, i wish i had known back then, but i was still not into sailor that much and fountain pen collecting. I tried to email sailor several times, the most clear answer i got about the topic was that the current "nib shaper" is leaving and 3 are substituting him, they have no plans in introducing the king eagle now since they have back orders on the standard ones (that are apparently more in demand than the KOP model crazy nibs). What surprised me was after 1 year from introducing the continuation of the specialty nibs, they came up with KOP naginata for the first time, but with a very high price. So was speculating that they might reintroduce the King eagle in a similar fashion this year (fingers crossed).

3) In your experience is there a huge difference in terms of line width b/w the cross nib and the king eagle? i know that the cross is like a pelikan 3B so i am guessing that that an eagle is like 5B :P As you said its not "usable and necessary" but its a grail and its for fun :P

4) I am also behind the hunt of finding the wettest nib that is "controllably wet" as you said yet not being unusable, in your experience which pen/brand would claim the throne for that in your own experience?

Finally sorry for asking many questions, but when you see the white rabbit you have to follow it (as they say :P). I have been searching for the King eagle for 1.5-2 years now with no luck (and unable to attend any pen shows), if you ever come to an eagle please let me know :P cuz a poor soul is trying to catch one. I hope you can find your snake soon, i saw your IG post, its is an interesting nib and would like to own one for the artistry put in the nib creation. Good luck in your hunt !

Let me try to answer as best I can. A caveat up front... I have not tried dozens of these nibs as they are hard to come by. I have only one of some model and drawing a definitive conclusion from such a small sample would be foolhardy at best. So i will answer as honestly as i can based on my experience with my pens, paper, and ink. Please consider this in all my responses.

1. KOP nibs in general are a bit softer an more bouncy than the 1911L nibs. Each Nagahara nib is also individually finished and there are distinct differences based on age. In general the elder Nagahara provided a broader line and less angular grind while the younger Nagahara provided sharper grinds with more line variation for western cursive. So, it is hard to compare, but i would say they write similar once you control for other factors, but the KOP offers a little more ability to push and squeeze variation in the NT nibs. Once you stack the nibs they become far more rigid and honestly i am not going to try to flex a nib i could not realistically replace. Also, bear in mind there is far more variety in the 1911L specialty nib range than the KOP. I like the cross concord and cross music best in the 1911L size but they are not options in the KOP range.

2. I have no special insights as to if King Eagle and King Cobra will ever be made again. seems like they are holding them back. i was glad to see the reissue of the NT nibs for KOP, but it was on a limited edition pen. If they do make a KE or KC nib it will likely be on a very, very expensive LE pen in my opinion.

3. For western cursive at a normal 45 to 50 degree writing angle there is no appreciable difference between Cross and Eagle. I am sure I have a writing sample somewhere and I know there are others posted on FPN. I'll see if I can dig it up. You can be happy with a Cross point and if you want more variation get a Cross Music.

4. For Sailor, the best regular wet, fairly broad nib to me is the NT in B width. Writes a nice juicy western broad. I also really like the MB 149 with an O3B nib. A lot of the Jowo 1.1 and 1.5 nibs available on pens do a good job if properly adjusted. They are on a lot of pens that are pretty like Leonardo and many custom pen makers.You can get an ebonite feed upgrade for those too.

If i find another King Eagle at a reasonable price I'm likely to buy it so good luck beating me to it (although i am not hunting for it)! :D

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Been out on holiday and then sick. But mostly functional now.

This pen is the ad is interesting. it keeps going up in price. Before this ad it was like $3800 at last years LA show and it was more like $2500 the year before that. I think it is aggressively priced, but there are people out there who are willing to pay then so be it.

Makes me wonder what I could get for mine with a plain ebonite body or I could put it into my Classic Pens one-of-a kind LB5 prototype and see how much money i could shake free from a deep pocket. :D :rolleyes:

i hope your better! wow that LB5 with a king eagle would cost someone's kidney :P but that would be a pen that would define my grail ! which LB5 do you own ?

Let me try to answer as best I can. A caveat up front... I have not tried dozens of these nibs as they are hard to come by. I have only one of some model and drawing a definitive conclusion from such a small sample would be foolhardy at best. So i will answer as honestly as i can based on my experience with my pens, paper, and ink. Please consider this in all my responses.

1. KOP nibs in general are a bit softer an more bouncy than the 1911L nibs. Each Nagahara nib is also individually finished and there are distinct differences based on age. In general the elder Nagahara provided a broader line and less angular grind while the younger Nagahara provided sharper grinds with more line variation for western cursive. So, it is hard to compare, but i would say they write similar once you control for other factors, but the KOP offers a little more ability to push and squeeze variation in the NT nibs. Once you stack the nibs they become far more rigid and honestly i am not going to try to flex a nib i could not realistically replace. Also, bear in mind there is far more variety in the 1911L specialty nib range than the KOP. I like the cross concord and cross music best in the 1911L size but they are not options in the KOP range.

2. I have no special insights as to if King Eagle and King Cobra will ever be made again. seems like they are holding them back. i was glad to see the reissue of the NT nibs for KOP, but it was on a limited edition pen. If they do make a KE or KC nib it will likely be on a very, very expensive LE pen in my opinion.

3. For western cursive at a normal 45 to 50 degree writing angle there is no appreciable difference between Cross and Eagle. I am sure I have a writing sample somewhere and I know there are others posted on FPN. I'll see if I can dig it up. You can be happy with a Cross point and if you want more variation get a Cross Music.

4. For Sailor, the best regular wet, fairly broad nib to me is the NT in B width. Writes a nice juicy western broad. I also really like the MB 149 with an O3B nib. A lot of the Jowo 1.1 and 1.5 nibs available on pens do a good job if properly adjusted. They are on a lot of pens that are pretty like Leonardo and many custom pen makers.You can get an ebonite feed upgrade for those too.

If i find another King Eagle at a reasonable price I'm likely to buy it so good luck beating me to it (although i am not hunting for it)! :D

hahhaha! guess the challenge is on :P good luck to you too, btw thank you for the reply and detailed explanation

Here are some old writing samples:

fpn_1581113446__20170719_102032_resized.

fpn_1581113528__20180206_102229_resized.

that looks like, as you said 45 angle there is not much difference between the King eagle and the cross point, it seems like the cross point stays the same at 30 angle whereas i expect the king eagle to go even more broader, but realistically speaking normal writing angle is around 45 , so not much difference should be seen between them ( i thought the variation is greater at that angle). For usability it is kind of not "pleasant" to write at 30 degree (at least for me) so both pens seems same at a "normal" writing angle. Btw i was amazed how broad that MB is at BB wow :P i guess 3B is like a king eagle at 30 degree!