The-Thinker

what is the possibility of finding a sailor king eagle on a secondary market, or even on a very special edition sailor that they might produce in the future? is it easier to ask a nib meister to stack 3 nibs to mimic the 3 stacked nib of a king eagle? if so how hard would it be? is it even possible to find someone (or know someone) who does such works? Interested in this topic, since i have been wanting one for quite some time now ...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• zaddick

• silverlifter

• Karmachanic

Ralph Reyes at Regalia Nibs is the only person in the US I know of doing this type of work. Otherwise, be prepared for a long wait and a hefty price tag for a used one.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Ralph Reyes at Regalia Nibs is the only person in the US I know of doing this type of work. Otherwise, be prepared for a long wait and a hefty price tag for a used one.

i have no clue on how much they are being sold, i have seen some in japan being sold for 6000 usd but that was 2 years ago. I am not sure if Ralph can do stacked nibs for a sailor specifically, would emailing him help ?

Several folks are stacking nibs now, beyond Ralph. They are usually size 6 and Jowo or Jowo compatible. You can get good writers and for a lot less money than a Sailor stacked nib

But, almost no one is making them like Sailor where the tipping is nestled under the layer above. You can't even just recreate it by buying 3 Sailor nibs as they don't have enough tipping.

So you can get 2, 34, 5, 7 mins stacked and each one is ground but it will still be different overall.

If this is not clear scroll through my IG feed for exams of stacked nibs from Sailor and others.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Several folks are stacking nibs now, beyond Ralph. They are usually size 6 and Jowo or Jowo compatible. You can get good writers and for a lot less money than a Sailor stacked nib

But, almost no one is making them like Sailor where the tipping is nestled under the layer above. You can't even just recreate it by buying 3 Sailor nibs as they don't have enough tipping.

So you can get 2, 34, 5, 7 mins stacked and each one is ground but it will still be different overall.

If this is not clear scroll through my IG feed for exams of stacked nibs from Sailor and others.

so you are saying there is no way of getting the original feel of the sailor king eagle ? btw how come you have all those special nibs and sailor nibs that are my dream to own, may i ask if they are yours? and how did you collect them (since i am a big sailor fan)

so you are saying there is no way of getting the original feel of the sailor king eagle ? btw how come you have all those special nibs and sailor nibs that are my dream to own, may i ask if they are yours? and how did you collect them (since i am a big sailor fan)

I am saying it is difficult to replicate because of the way Sailor stacked and nests the nibs at the tip.

Here is a review i wrote of one of Ralphs 3 stack nibs and you can see close up photos of the underside.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339360-regalia-writing-labs-and-the-trilogy-nib/

Here is a bit blurry photo of a King Eagle:

fpn_1580341162__20170709_121603_resized.

fpn_1580341132__tipping.jpg

You can see how it is a different approach. some of Ralph's newer nibs have more Sailor like nesting of the tipping, and maybe one or two others has made this effort. Still, close but not quite the same.

Here is an even better example from a cross point nib.

fpn_1580341337__img_20190123_144526_854.

All pens are my own. I collected with time and a not insignificant amount of money to be able to have this array of pens. Some was luck and some was asking the right people for help in my search. It can be done, but is not easy unless you want to pay A LOT of money.

I am saying it is difficult to replicate because of the way Sailor stacked and nests the nibs at the tip.

Here is a review i wrote of one of Ralphs 3 stack nibs and you can see close up photos of the underside.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339360-regalia-writing-labs-and-the-trilogy-nib/

Here is a bit blurry photo of a King Eagle:

fpn_1580341162__20170709_121603_resized.

fpn_1580341132__tipping.jpg

You can see how it is a different approach. some of Ralph's newer nibs have more Sailor like nesting of the tipping, and maybe one or two others has made this effort. Still, close but not quite the same.

Here is an even better example from a cross point nib.

fpn_1580341337__img_20190123_144526_854.

All pens are my own. I collected with time and a not insignificant amount of money to be able to have this array of pens. Some was luck and some was asking the right people for help in my search. It can be done, but is not easy unless you want to pay A LOT of money.

I love the picture and the review ! You are right that the way sailor stacks their nibs are unique and it looks like each nib hugs the other .Your pens are amazing ! And seeing your IG pictures and whatnot , it seems you are highly experienced in digging out specialty and crazy nibs ! Do you currently own a king eagle? I would like to ask how hard is it to get one (from your experience) and how much would it cost ?

do you think it is more possible to find them on the second market or hope sailor makes a batch in a very limited number and buy one (say from now till a couple of years interval). I have seen some king eagles on eBay sellers asking for imaginary prices (close to 160000 usd ) ...

Thanks for the compliments. I do like unusual nibs and those the lay out a lot of ink in a controlled fashion.

For Sailor nibs I focused mostly on the KOP size first as there were fewer nibs. I have all the possible nib width for KOP: M, B, Naginata togi MF, Naginata togi M, Naginata togi B, Crosspoint and King Eagle. I also have a custom Concord cursive italic B that Yukio Nagahara made from me from a standard KOP B nib.

For the standard size nibs on the 1911 platform I have the zoom, NMF, NM, Crosspoint, Crosspoint Emperor, Cross Concord, and Cross Music. The cross Concord and Cross Music are my favorite. the photo above is the crosspoint emperor.

King Eagles are hard to find, but I have not been looking. I did reach out to several people when I was and they had sold theirs already or did not want to sell. I had seen one a long time ago at a pen shoe from a part time seller and I reached out to him and was able to get one from him on the KOP ebonite body. Since then, i have seen a few a Chatterley Luxuries for several thousand and one from another person I met who keeps raising the price. Last I saw it was almost $4,000. I have heard they can be found more easily at auction in Japan but I have not confirmed nor tried to wade into that market myself.

What is crazy to me is how years ago when you could still order one, people would sell them on a regular basis. But once the stock dried up the prices wen through the roof. I think the King Eagle nib was like a $600 extra cost on a KOP from Classic Pens ( a major retailer in the US), so not a lot of people wanted to add that onto the cost of the pen for what amounts to a specialty object. Most people (me included) don't really take advantage of the great variation offered by the Eagle nib in western handwriting. I think the 2 layer crosspoint is mroe practical and most people would probably just be happer with a Naginata togi B for a nice wet round point from Sailor in the KOP range.

I have not heard of a new king eagle nib for the 1911L or KOP range. I would imagine it would get created again for the 1911L size pens before the KOP, but that is speculation. There must be a reason they did not reintroduce it with the other highly priced specialty nibs.

Does one need a King Eagle nib, not really, but that doesn't always stop the wanting. :^) Now I am on the hunt for a cobra nib after using one - just because.

Thanks for the compliments. I do like unusual nibs and those the lay out a lot of ink in a controlled fashion.

For Sailor nibs I focused mostly on the KOP size first as there were fewer nibs. I have all the possible nib width for KOP: M, B, Naginata togi MF, Naginata togi M, Naginata togi B, Crosspoint and King Eagle. I also have a custom Concord cursive italic B that Yukio Nagahara made from me from a standard KOP B nib.

For the standard size nibs on the 1911 platform I have the zoom, NMF, NM, Crosspoint, Crosspoint Emperor, Cross Concord, and Cross Music. The cross Concord and Cross Music are my favorite. the photo above is the crosspoint emperor.

King Eagles are hard to find, but I have not been looking. I did reach out to several people when I was and they had sold theirs already or did not want to sell. I had seen one a long time ago at a pen shoe from a part time seller and I reached out to him and was able to get one from him on the KOP ebonite body. Since then, i have seen a few a Chatterley Luxuries for several thousand and one from another person I met who keeps raising the price. Last I saw it was almost $4,000. I have heard they can be found more easily at auction in Japan but I have not confirmed nor tried to wade into that market myself.

What is crazy to me is how years ago when you could still order one, people would sell them on a regular basis. But once the stock dried up the prices wen through the roof. I think the King Eagle nib was like a $600 extra cost on a KOP from Classic Pens ( a major retailer in the US), so not a lot of people wanted to add that onto the cost of the pen for what amounts to a specialty object. Most people (me included) don't really take advantage of the great variation offered by the Eagle nib in western handwriting. I think the 2 layer crosspoint is mroe practical and most people would probably just be happer with a Naginata togi B for a nice wet round point from Sailor in the KOP range.

I have not heard of a new king eagle nib for the 1911L or KOP range. I would imagine it would get created again for the 1911L size pens before the KOP, but that is speculation. There must be a reason they did not reintroduce it with the other highly priced specialty nibs.

Does one need a King Eagle nib, not really, but that doesn't always stop the wanting. :^) Now I am on the hunt for a cobra nib after using one - just because.

You deserve the compliment, specially after seeing that amazing pen collection and the effort you have put as a pen enthusiast in collecting them, good job!

1) Regarding the specialty nibs, have you noticed a significant difference in the KOP specialty nibs and the similar nibs on the 1911 Large versions? i currently own a naginata togi B in 1911L model but wondering if the KOP would be in any terms different (in terms of writability, wetness, feel ...)

2) I had no clue that the offered it for 600$ more than the usual, i wish i had known back then, but i was still not into sailor that much and fountain pen collecting. I tried to email sailor several times, the most clear answer i got about the topic was that the current "nib shaper" is leaving and 3 are substituting him, they have no plans in introducing the king eagle now since they have back orders on the standard ones (that are apparently more in demand than the KOP model crazy nibs). What surprised me was after 1 year from introducing the continuation of the specialty nibs, they came up with KOP naginata for the first time, but with a very high price. So was speculating that they might reintroduce the King eagle in a similar fashion this year (fingers crossed).

3) In your experience is there a huge difference in terms of line width b/w the cross nib and the king eagle? i know that the cross is like a pelikan 3B so i am guessing that that an eagle is like 5B :P As you said its not "usable and necessary" but its a grail and its for fun :P

4) I am also behind the hunt of finding the wettest nib that is "controllably wet" as you said yet not being unusable, in your experience which pen/brand would claim the throne for that in your own experience?

Finally sorry for asking many questions, but when you see the white rabbit you have to follow it (as they say :P). I have been searching for the King eagle for 1.5-2 years now with no luck (and unable to attend any pen shows), if you ever come to an eagle please let me know :P cuz a poor soul is trying to catch one. I hope you can find your snake soon, i saw your IG post, its is an interesting nib and would like to own one for the artistry put in the nib creation. Good luck in your hunt !

ps thank you in advance !

There is a Naginata Togi on /r/pen_swap right now for USD600, but it will not be there for long...

There is a Naginata Togi on /r/pen_swap right now for USD600, but it will not be there for long...

Any hope for king eagles ?:(

Any hope for king eagles ? :(

It is unlikely. If you are committed to picking one up, you could open a Wanted To Buy here on the Classifieds, on FPG and Reddit. That may flush one out.

Any hope for king eagles ? :(

Patience and perseverance. And then definitely maybe.

Add lightness and simplicate.

It is unlikely. If you are committed to picking one up, you could open a Wanted To Buy here on the Classifieds, on FPG and Reddit. That may flush one out.

I will try that, let’s see how