Something New! Community Ink Reviews: Waterman Serenity Blue

DrDebG

Take Two:

fpn_1580696117__20200202_211311.jpg

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• corniche

• Misfit

• A Smug Dill

Hi 5,

Nice pic. Thanks for the Noihvo-inspired handwritten response.

You're welcome, but the lighting is poor, so I don't know how helpful it'll be, but the Quink is a little darker and more purple, but it's something usually only the human eye can perceive. In many pics/scans, they'll look identical.

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Our esteemed moderators have deemed this thread should be under Co-Razy-Views. My apologies for the initial confusion.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Our esteemed moderators have deemed this thread should be under Co-Razy-Views. My apologies for the initial confusion.

This placement makes sense to me, especially given the phenomenon you've noted, that comments on postings in the Ink Reviews section are more likely to offer kudos to the original poster than to offer a range of perspectives on an ink.

I figured out how I held my phone to get it upside down, then oriented the phone the opposite way. You have to hold it sideways, or where it is widest (in photo speak Landscape). When I take photos holding the phone in what would be Portrait mode, my photos post here on their sides.

Part of the problem is that, while your camera may capture information about orientation and record it in the digital image file's metadata, browsers using Webkit in OS_X (i.e. on "Mac" computers) don't seem to respect that for embedded images, even though Safari and Chrome browsers on the (also Apple) iPad, as well as browsers on machines running Windows, don't have a problem rendering the embedded image in the indicated orientation.

My apologies for the initial confusion.

I was just trying an experiment._...‹snip›...My hope is that anyone could post a Community Review and that everyone would feel comfortable to add their comments - preferably hand-written comments using the ink in question.

No worries. I'll admit — perhaps it's because I'm dense, or because I'm artless with words, or both — I don't quite understand the distinction you were trying to make there from other Co-Razy-View threads, other than, "The price of entry for adding to this thread (and other threads of the same nature, for different inks) is a photo of handwriting in the ink in question, while comments about the ink in typed characters are optional/secondary," without, well, expressly dictating to others how you want to thread to be run. If that's the nub of it, personally I'd have preferred that you stated it upfront and point-blank, so that those who struggle to read between the lines, either because English isn't their mother tongue (and it isn't mine) or because they have trouble grasping nuances in interpersonal communication (as I do), just so it's easier for me to understand and hence not be inadvertently disruptive.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I like the color that WSB comes out of the pen initially, but then it dries too light for me. So I prefer Pelikan 4001 RB, even though it is a bit drier.

Part of the problem is that, while your camera may capture information about orientation and record it in the digital image file's metadata, browsers using Webkit in OS_X (i.e. on "Mac" computers) don't seem to respect that for embedded images, even though Safari and Chrome browsers on the (also Apple) iPad, as well as browsers on machines running Windows, don't have a problem rendering the embedded image in the indicated orientation.

No worries. I'll admit — perhaps it's because I'm dense, or because I'm artless with words, or both — I don't quite understand the distinction you were trying to make there from other Co-Razy-View threads, other than, "The price of entry for adding to this thread (and other threads of the same nature, for different inks) is a photo of handwriting in the ink in question, while comments about the ink in typed characters are optional/secondary," without, well, expressly dictating to others how you want to thread to be run. If that's the nub of it, personally I'd have preferred that you stated it upfront and point-blank, so that those who struggle to read between the lines, either because English isn't their mother tongue (and it isn't mine) or because they have trouble grasping nuances in interpersonal communication (as I do), just so it's easier for me to understand and hence not be inadvertently disruptive.

Thank you so much for your comments.

First, please understand that I originally posted this thread in Inky Thoughts because I was not sure where it should go. After I contacted the moderators, we discussed it and it was decided that the this thread should be in Co-Razy-Views.

Also, understand that this was just an idea . . . an experiment. My hope is that others would join in, as they have done, giving their thoughts and ideas - whether as photos of handwritten entries or other. My thought was to just see where this led.

I apologize if I have not communicated effectively for you.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...

Let's finally, once and for all, get together in solidarity and just refuse to call Waterman Florida Blue by its new name.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Hello early responders,

I really like this idea, and it seems a little easier than the original Co-Razy reviews, which I participated in but dropped out because it got a little too much trouble...

Your discussion of Waterman Serenity/Florida blue prompted a search of my ink hoard, and I managed to turn up one single, old, half filled bottle of Waterman Florida blue. And a ton of Quink blues which I did know I have and occasionally use - I do like what was at some point called Quink permanent blue. The washable, not so much but I doctor it with a little red, purple, or sometimes even black, to give it more presence. But the Waterman... I am going to have to find a new bottle! I do have two bottles of purple, and four new intense black, which is also a very nice black. So thanks for starting this. I promise once I have the Florida blue in a pen again I will actually contribute something.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Hello early responders,

I really like this idea, and it seems a little easier than the original Co-Razy reviews, which I participated in but dropped out because it got a little too much trouble...

Your discussion of Waterman Serenity/Florida blue prompted a search of my ink hoard, and I managed to turn up one single, old, half filled bottle of Waterman Florida blue. And a ton of Quink blues which I did know I have and occasionally use - I do like what was at some point called Quink permanent blue. The washable, not so much but I doctor it with a little red, purple, or sometimes even black, to give it more presence. But the Waterman... I am going to have to find a new bottle! I do have two bottles of purple, and four new intense black, which is also a very nice black. So thanks for starting this. I promise once I have the Florida blue in a pen again I will actually contribute something.

Thank you so much!

And now it has gone further. Stepped by my B&M store and ordered two new Waterman Florida blue (the shop owner also still calls it that), plus we're hoping to add a turquoise as well. This is the same person who had all those vintage Quink (with Solv-X) boxes that I got a few years ago... Now the wait begins.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Sorry for the confusion.

For many years long before Mike and I became moderators, the rules stated that Ink Reviews were only 1 reviewer and 1 ink. That is the hard and fast rule that we have continued to agree to. Everything else went into comparisons and tests.

CRVs are a special section for anything that is NOT a traditional 1 person 1 ink review. We were asked to keep these out of Inky Thoughts because these are historically photo heavy and slow to load. So IT is the larger forum and you can certainly link from there but people on slow connections or located in specific regions (China) have had trouble when the pictures were hosted off site.

So, when comparing and contrasting inks and more than one person is adding pictures, place it here, please.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sorry for the confusion.

For many years long before Mike and I became moderators, the rules stated that Ink Reviews were only 1 reviewer and 1 ink. That is the hard and fast rule that we have continued to agree to. Everything else went into comparisons and tests.

CRVs are a special section for anything that is NOT a traditional 1 person 1 ink review. We were asked to keep these out of Inky Thoughts because these are historically photo heavy and slow to load. So IT is the larger forum and you can certainly link from there but people on slow connections or located in specific regions (China) have had trouble when the pictures were hosted off site.

So, when comparing and contrasting inks and more than one person is adding pictures, place it here, please.

No worries! Thank you for clarifying this!

• 1 month later...

I don't recall the paper and pen(nib) I used, but discovered recently that Serenity Blue actually has a red sheen with the right combination.

Found it.

Paper: Clairefontaine Neo Deco A5 notebook

Pen: Parker Vacumatic Emerald Pearl OM nib. It's really wet and very wide.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I don't recall the paper and pen(nib) I used, but discovered recently that Serenity Blue actually has a red sheen with the right combination.

Found it.

Paper: Clairefontaine Neo Deco A5 notebook

Pen: Parker Vacumatic Emerald Pearl OM nib. It's really wet and very wide.

Thank you for your comment! I have found the same thing when I use Tomoe River paper with a wet, stub or wide nib.

• 8 months later...

If I may, a quick question.

I only experienced Waterman Blue in a cartridge marked as Blue. Which one of the newer names would be considered the Waterman Blue in the cart?

Thank you.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

11 minutes ago, bone215 said:

If I may, a quick question.

I only experienced Waterman Blue in a cartridge marked as Blue. Which one of the newer names would be considered the Waterman Blue in the cart?

Thank you.

I'm assuming it came with one of their pens?  That would be Serenity Blue.  (At least, I've never heard of Inspired Blue (a turquoise) or Mysterious Blue (theoretical blue-black) being included with their pens.)