Something New! Community Ink Reviews: Waterman Serenity Blue

DrDebG

I have often thought that ink reviews should be a community effort. Everyone sees something different in an ink.

So, I thought I would throw this idea out there.

Community Ink Reviews.

Someone would start with a particular ink. That person would start with what they like/dislike about the ink with a writing or artistic sample. Then others who have that ink would add their thoughts, observations, or anything they feel adds to the review of the ink. This can be something simple like “this ink is too dry” and shows a writing sample. The next person may add that they like the way the color shades and include their writing sample. Another may say they like the chromatography of the ink and show a sample, another may show an ink illustration. Others might add comparisons with other inks.

Your comments can be long or short. It doesn’t matter if it seems like you are repeating what someone else may have said. Your comments are important and it lends credibility to the character of the ink.

This is an ink review that everyone should feel comfortable contributing towards.

When you add your post, please post a photo (yes, please use whatever camera you have and enjoy), also state your pen, nib and paper used.

Why would this be a positive thing for all FPN members? The person reading the Community Review would have the benefit of getting a broader perspective of what an ink might be like. Some really enjoy extra fine nibs, while others really prefer broader nibs. By doing a Community Ink Review, everyone can contribute with whatever pen or paper they choose.

Also, this isn’t intended to replace ink reviews done by an individual. It is just meant to be an addition. That is why it is posted in “Inky Thoughts”.

So, are you up for this? Would you like to give it a try with me?

Let’s start with an ink that many of us have:

Waterman Serenity Blue

fpn_1580187094__waterman_serenity_blue.j

Oops! The last sentence should read "It has a nice sheen too!"

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• corniche

• Misfit

• A Smug Dill

fpn_1580193927__co-razy.png

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/forum/153-co-razy-views/

~ 5Cavaliers:

Would that be somehow different than the above existing FPN section?

Tom K.

Great question!

From my limited understanding, the Co-Razy-Views can focus on any ink, unless they are specified for a group of colors or a specific quality of ink, or someone just posting thoughts or comparisons as they feel so motivated.

My intent here - which I hope would be of use to someone - is to focus on just one ink for each thread and encourage anyone who wishes to leave a writing sample about what they like or don't like about this specific ink.

I hope that answers your question and I would encourage your participation if you feel so led.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Great question!

From my limited understanding, the Co-Razy-Views can focus on any ink, unless they are specified for a group of colors or a specific quality of ink, or someone just posting thoughts or comparisons as they feel so motivated.

My intent here - which I hope would be of use to someone - is to focus on just one ink for each thread and encourage anyone who wishes to leave a writing sample about what they like or don't like about this specific ink.

I hope that answers your question and I would encourage your participation if you feel so led.

~ 5Cavaliers:

Ah, thank you for the helpful explanation.

As it happens, I've never seen Waterman Serenity Blue.

Comments and images of it might motivate me to rectify that omission.

Tom K.

~ 5Cavaliers:

Ah, thank you for the helpful explanation.

As it happens, I've never seen Waterman Serenity Blue.

Comments and images of it might motivate me to rectify that omission.

Tom K.

As you are likely aware, Waterman Serenity Blue is the old Waterman Florida Blue.

This is one great concept!

Same as Tom, I do not have Serenity blue to contribute here, but when community report appears and I have the same ink, I will add happily my writing sample, thought or two..

I hope many will reply to this thread and come on board:)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Hi Tom, MsRedPen, Everyone,

Everybody should have at least one bottle of Waterman Serenity Blue. It has long been considered the Gold Standard for inks and is often used as the "test ink" by vintage pen restorers such as Richard Binder and the late, great Tom Mulane, (aka Old Griz).

That said, I prefer Quink Permanent Blue because it has deeper purple tones; which I personally prefer.

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Nice idea, I think when ink reviews show up we are more brought to applaud the author and thank for the effort (which no doubt deserves it, some ink reviews are truly scientific papers...) than comment on the ink.

Florida blue (I still find it hard to call it Serenity - I actually keep a couple of the old external cardboard boxes and put the new bottles in them...) is my go to blue, for colour neutrality and behaviour.

I do use it to test my pens and I do use it in vintage pens for its tame behaviour.

I like the colour, that to me looks just blue with no hints of green (which I really dislike), no hints of turquoise (which I do like but consider different from pure blue) no evident leaning on purple (which I do like in other inks) and no leaning on black. A rather pure blue therefore.

Behaviour is also nice, not too dry nor too wet, as you say, good flow, it's unlikely that it will clog any of my pens, quite good drying time.

If I have to pick a fuss free ink to take with me this is the one, I'd be sad if ever it were to be discontinued.

Obviously I also like many other blues (I practically only use blue ink in my pens!) but this one is a reference.

Florida blue (I still find it hard to call it Serenity

Hi Sansenri,

Me, too. I call it Serenity begrudgingly, so as not to confuse the younger/newer enthusiasts.

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

As you are likely aware, Waterman Serenity Blue is the old Waterman Florida Blue.

~ 5Cavaliers:

You credit me with awareness which I sorely lack.

As to inks, consider me a newbie, green around the gills.

Here is the only Florida Blue on my writing desk.

Tom K.

fpn_1580263437__florida_blue.jpg

fpn_1580187094__waterman_serenity_blue.j

My only use of Serenity Blue was the long cartridge that came with my Waterman Kultur. It was far, far paler and more boring than the above. I suspect that's because the Kultur was very dry until I recently ran a brass shim between the tines enough to make it rather wet. In other words, I think this is an ink that needs a wet nib to be interesting.

My only use of Serenity Blue was the long cartridge that came with my Waterman Kultur. It was far, far paler and more boring than the above. I suspect that's because the Kultur was very dry until I recently ran a brass shim between the tines enough to make it rather wet. In other words, I think this is an ink that needs a wet nib to be interesting.

Thank you for your kind words. The above pen is new to me, and whenever I have a new pen, the first fill is always with Waterman Serenity Blue. So, it appears as though this is a fairly wet nib, which is very nice. I am again surprised by Faber Castell nibs.

~ 5Cavaliers:

You credit me with awareness which I sorely lack.

As to inks, consider me a newbie, green around the gills.

Here is the only Florida Blue on my writing desk.

Tom K.

fpn_1580263437__florida_blue.jpg

Hi Tom K -

Thank you for your kind words. You actually know far more about inks than I. I have never used many Diamine inks. Florida Blue looks lovely. I may have to give it a try.

This is one great concept!

Same as Tom, I do not have Serenity blue to contribute here, but when community report appears and I have the same ink, I will add happily my writing sample, thought or two..

I hope many will reply to this thread and come on board:)

Thank you for your kind words. And I hope others will reply as well especially with their writing samples.

Hi Tom, MsRedPen, Everyone,

Everybody should have at least one bottle of Waterman Serenity Blue. It has long been considered the Gold Standard for inks and is often used as the "test ink" by vintage pen restorers such as Richard Binder and the late, great Tom Mulane, (aka Old Griz).

That said, I prefer Quink Permanent Blue because it has deeper purple tones; which I personally prefer.

Hi Sean -

Thank you for your comments. Any chance you might bestow a writing sample on us?

Nice idea, I think when ink reviews show up we are more brought to applaud the author and thank for the effort (which no doubt deserves it, some ink reviews are truly scientific papers...) than comment on the ink.

Florida blue (I still find it hard to call it Serenity - I actually keep a couple of the old external cardboard boxes and put the new bottles in them...) is my go to blue, for colour neutrality and behaviour.

I do use it to test my pens and I do use it in vintage pens for its tame behaviour.

I like the colour, that to me looks just blue with no hints of green (which I really dislike), no hints of turquoise (which I do like but consider different from pure blue) no evident leaning on purple (which I do like in other inks) and no leaning on black. A rather pure blue therefore.

Behaviour is also nice, not too dry nor too wet, as you say, good flow, it's unlikely that it will clog any of my pens, quite good drying time.

If I have to pick a fuss free ink to take with me this is the one, I'd be sad if ever it were to be discontinued.

Obviously I also like many other blues (I practically only use blue ink in my pens!) but this one is a reference.

Hi sansenri -

Thank you for your contribution! I agree with everything you have said.

We would love to see a writing sample, if you have time.

Hi Sean -

Thank you for your comments. Any chance you might bestow a writing sample on us?

Hi 5 Cavaliers,

I'll try. I've tried posting images on here before, but they were all rejected for being too big; maybe now that I'm a supporter and have a larger photo gallery available to me, I'll have better luck. We'll see.

When I was on here before, I used to use Photobucket, but they charge now.

You want to see the Quink, or a comparison?

I've tried posting images on here before, but they were all rejected for being too big; maybe now that I'm a supporter and have a larger photo gallery available to me, I'll have better luck.

I don't think whether someone is or isn't a paid-up "supporter" is the issue there.

I suggest you try this: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/blog/2/entry-22-the-images-upload-tab-what-is-it-how-to-use-it/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Test Pic:

fpn_1580426623__20200108_132053.jpg

FWIW, The pens, L-R:

Pelikan m200 LE; Pelikan 600; Parker Duofold Centennial; Platinum 3776 Century; Cross Bailey Light, (fp & rb); Conklin Duragraph LE; Lamy Safari; Pilot VP & MB 145.

Edited by corniche

Deleted; no longer applies.

Edited by corniche