Which Brand Do You Enjoy The Most And Trust Blindly?

The-Thinker

maybe during the pen show?

The Delta Stantuffo model is by far my absolute favorite brand and model. Unfortunately, I can't add to the collection unless they come up on the secondary market.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• A Smug Dill

• corniche

• DiveDr

Pelikan. Not an original answer, I know. But I trust them enough, especially the older models, and they are more enjoyable to me than other trustworthy pens - Lamy, Sailor, Pilot.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The Delta Stantuffo model is by far my absolute favorite brand and model. Unfortunately, I can't add to the collection unless they come up on the secondary market.

I fully agree, the Delta pens were wonderful. But why waiting for a secondary market? As for me Leonardo is some kind of phoenix of Delta´s soul. Currently I own 2 "Momento Zero" and 1 "Furore". All beautiful and excellent writing pens and steel nibs that let you forget about gold nibs :rolleyes: .

Therefore ... my favourite brand is Leonardo (& Cleo Skribent).

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Brands I trust blindly: Conid, Pilot, Aurora

Pens enjoying most: Conid minimalistica (ergonomic grip), Omas 360 (ergonomic grip), Pilot VP (as EDC)

Orval

For blind trust: Pilot. I just expect a new Pilot to work out of the box, and haven't been disappointed yet.

I can't say I have the same expectations for any other brand. I've got precious little experience though, so what do I know?

Not sure I'd want to be restricted to using only Pilot the rest of my life though. I do love my Pelikans...

Another vote for Pelikan, I'm afraid. I've had repair issues, flow problems, or just sheer cussedness with every other brand in my collection. To be fair, they're also some of the most expensive pens in I own, so take that for what it's worth. I've only used the M200, M300, M/K/D400, M620, M/K/D800 and M1000 models, but they're just good solid workhorses that don't take a lot of effort to work well.

The Pilot Parallels are probably the best cheap pens in my collection and are one of the only $10-15 Calligraphy pens that can keep up with adequate ink flow, even for their massive 6mm nib. Sadly, they don't hold much ink, but I keep them around for my sparkly inks as they're extremely easy to pull apart and clean.

The Montblanc 146s hold a bit more ink, but the one time I sent one in for repair it was pricey and a bit of a disappointment.

The Bexley factory stubs are delightful, but three of my five pens are now in for repairs. Sad as the Sherherazade is just about the perfect weight, size, and shape for me. Plus, they're pretty.

The Sheaffer factory stubs are also very pleasing to use, but don't hold as much ink as the Pelikans and again have needed repairs.

My Namiki Falcons have all been modified to flexible fines. The nibs are wonderful to write with, but I'm sick of having to constantly open them up to push enough ink thru to the nib.

Anything with a sac/bladder/whatever you call it needs more TLC then I am willing to give. I don't know if it's their age or my ink choices, but I've had very mixed luck with them.

Definately going for Conid. Outstanding quality and just wonderfull tools.

I have a regular streamline and a kingsize CAISO and never had any issues.

I have visited their facility twice and it's great to see they have developed a side business in fountain pens on top of their regular activities (Conid is the "pen part" of Komec - a component manufacturer and machine builder).

Currently they are experiencing a back log so they have decided to temporarly hold orders untill May 2020. Some people are offended by the lack of communication but back in the days I have made my purchases I have never encountered any communicational issues. I think they are currently the victim of their own succes and I'm sure they are doing the best to overcome the issues.

I will certainly buy from them again as the pens are truly on the verge of perfection! Highly recommended.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

i have transformed my parallel into an eyedropper and now has alot of ink

Another vote for Pelikan, I'm afraid. I've had repair issues, flow problems, or just sheer cussedness with every other brand in my collection. To be fair, they're also some of the most expensive pens in I own, so take that for what it's worth. I've only used the M200, M300, M/K/D400, M620, M/K/D800 and M1000 models, but they're just good solid workhorses that don't take a lot of effort to work well.

The Pilot Parallels are probably the best cheap pens in my collection and are one of the only $10-15 Calligraphy pens that can keep up with adequate ink flow, even for their massive 6mm nib. Sadly, they don't hold much ink, but I keep them around for my sparkly inks as they're extremely easy to pull apart and clean.

The Montblanc 146s hold a bit more ink, but the one time I sent one in for repair it was pricey and a bit of a disappointment.

The Bexley factory stubs are delightful, but three of my five pens are now in for repairs. Sad as the Sherherazade is just about the perfect weight, size, and shape for me. Plus, they're pretty.

The Sheaffer factory stubs are also very pleasing to use, but don't hold as much ink as the Pelikans and again have needed repairs.

My Namiki Falcons have all been modified to flexible fines. The nibs are wonderful to write with, but I'm sick of having to constantly open them up to push enough ink thru to the nib.

Anything with a sac/bladder/whatever you call it needs more TLC then I am willing to give. I don't know if it's their age or my ink choices, but I've had very mixed luck with them.

That's tempting, but my one eyedropper experiment ended poorly. Do you do anything special to prevent leaks? Thanks.

I don't have a remedy from leaking due to the cracking of the barrel. Other than that i have found a way to minimize leaking due to the section which connects the body ( the threads part ) by inserting a small O ring that i found on Ali-Express, in addition i apply silicon grease on the threads before screwing. The O ring helped in creating a seal that is squishy and blocks the ink from seeping out, the silicon helped in preventing ink from progressing in the threads.

That’s easy, Pilot.

I have two 823s, a fine and a custom ground cursive italic that started as a broad. These are my two favorite pens.

i have four Vanishing Points. Two are the old plastic faceted bodies and two are the current design. I don’t really use the old ones anymore. I use the new ones daily because of their practicality. I have fine, medium, and stub nibs for them. One of these with a fine nib is my everyday carry. I also tend to use these when I travel. They are my most used pens.

Pilot without question, I've never been disappointed by their pens. Always smooth and writes well out of the box, both at high prices and simple Preppys, applies to their fountain pens and regular ol' gel pens. I love their width and breadth of designs and adore their Iroshizuku line of inks, so they've got me covered 100%

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Pilot without question, I've never been disappointed by their pens. Always smooth and writes well out of the box, both at high prices and simple Preppys,

Preppy pens are manufactured and sold by Platinum Pen, not Pilot Pen. Did you mean the Pilot V_Pen instead?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

wow that is impressive ! by toledo you mean the pelikan ?

Probably not, rather the vintage made in Toledo, Ohio BHR Conklins.

Which Brand Do You Enjoy The Most And Trust Blindly?

If you are (God Forbid) about to choose one fountain pen brand that you enjoy the most and would stick to for the the rest of your life to use, which brand would it be, which pen/s exactly and why so? share your experience with the brand and how many pens do you own from them!

Personally...I do not do things without reasoning or mindlessly i.e doin' things blindly.....Now if I was

in a foxhole at a airport and being shelled night and day.....I would use a pencil.....and rest always in me camies and boots.....

Now if it was on a desert island and can only bring one pen with one color ink...Different ball game.......

Fred

I would suggest the same pens as well! I have been considering buying a FPR pen, specially that they are getting really popular these days! what is it about pelikans that makes you wanna come back to them (ps my first ever fountain pen was a pelikan m200)

FPR has really, really good customer service. Kevin reaches out to nearly everyone who leaves a negative review, and he's always been quick to respond to my emails, and to try to solve any issues I've had.

As for Pelikans, more than anything, I think it's that my blue swirl derby-capped M200 was the first (post-university) pen I had that I really liked. This did not come easy; I swapped nibs with the fine folks at Pelikan SRW (before Chartpak got the US distributorship) at least a half-dozen times before I got the one I have now. But once I got one that I liked, I found that I REALLY liked it. I also like the pen's light weight, relatively short length, and can tolerate its girth (in fact, it sets the minimum for acceptable girth for me). If I found a pen with the same length, the same reliability, a similar nib, a similar section profile, similarly light weight, and +1mm in diameter, I would be all over that like a cheap suit.

My aqua demonstrator M205, a Christmas gift from my beloved and lovely wife (and her mother, and her son, and her mother's boyfriend) was an absolute delight with Iro Ku-Jaku (another gift from her, from a couple years prior, that actually disappointed me when I got it, can you imagine?), right out of the box. It has been continuously inked since then, and is the pen I grab when I want to leave her a billet-doux.

I may, at some point, seek out a steel M200 F nib for my M400, and might do the same if I were ever to get an M600. But these two steel-nibbed Pelikans are my all-time favorite pens right now, and for the forseeable future. I was originally going to say that they have never balked on me, but then I thought back and recalled the problems I'd had with the M200 for a decent while after I bought it. But I think those might have just been misalignment. I don't remember flow issues, just disliking the toothiness. But it has been over twenty years.

@sail1942: Most of FPR's piston pens are clutchless for easy, no-tools disassembly. I think a fair number of Noodler's pens can likewise be fully disassembled.

I've seen a lot of mentions of Lamy. I don't like their triangular sections, or their chrome-plated sections, or their rubber-covered sections, and that eliminates an awful lot of the lineup. I think the CP-1 is too slender. The Logo might be okay; my wife has one, and it's her favorite FP, but I see the chrome finish flaking off the plastic barrel finial and say to myself, "Not for me." Maybe if I get one with a black barrel finial. Or a 2000. Since my grip changed, I find my tolerance for tapered, conical sections has increased quite a bit, as well as that for the L2K's cap retention spring.