Which Brand Do You Enjoy The Most And Trust Blindly?

The-Thinker

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• A Smug Dill

• corniche

• DiveDr

I am not sure that I have found both criteria in one brand, so here goes:

Trust blindly: Lamy (Safari, Studio, 2000) and Pelikan (M215, M600): all built like a tank, good finish, write out of the box. (Maybe I should also add Franklin Christoph to this list; same criteria apply)

Enjoy most: Aurora (88 vintage and new), I guess it's an emotional thing... I love their nibs and pistons.

Regarding platinums, i have not had much experience, other than a preppy and a 3776 (Standard with 14k). I did not honestly feel they provide something "special", other than the lock mechanism that you mentioned. I have to try one of their Nakaya pens and decide, any thoughts regarding their Nakaya?

Nakaya = not for me, I like our Platinum Izumo Tamenuri pens with urushi on ebonite bodies pens well enough, but I have no inclination whatsoever to spend Nakaya's asking prices (or, more precisely, Nibs.com's asking prices for Nakaya pens) on an elegant but rather plain-looking pen in similar style, and sporting what is essentially a Platinum nib. I'd much rather spend that kind of money on a Platinum Izumo Takeami with bamboo weaving covering the barrel and cap; I like the look, and imagine I'd like the texture.

I applaud Platinum for offering Ultra Extra Fine nibs for (selected models in) its #3776 Century product line, starting from the entry-level "Black on Black" and Bourgogne models, as well as its President product line, and without charging a premium for that nib selection. The Soft Fine nibs are impressively fine, too, although in practice I don't enjoy writing with them as much as I do Platinum's regular Fine nibs. What I don't applaud is the massive premium Platinum charges for its Music nibs, when neither Sailor nor Pilot charges extra for theirs over, say, a Medium nib. Not that it matters to me, since I don't particularly want to buy one; my curiosity about Music nibs (in any brand) has pretty much been extinguished.

In the same vein, I applaud Sailor for offering Zoom nibs for its entry-level Profit Standard models, and Pilot for offering a range of Soft (SF, SFM and SM) nibs for its entry-level Custom and Custom Heritage models; never mind that I tried the Custom line's #5 SF and SFM nibs and liked them even less than Platinum's SF and SFM nibs. I quite like the SEF nibs on the Pilot Elabo (or Namiki Falcon) models.

I haven't tried Pilot's PO, WA and Stub nibs for its Custom line, so I can't comment on whether I like them, but I hated the FA nib which seems to be the single most talked about "specialty" nib Pilot makes. The only Sailor speciality nib I have tried is the Naginata Concord, which I didn't like to begin with but learnt to appreciate its brilliance over time; I can't comment on the other specialty nibs, including the Naginata togi, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like them. Irrespective of whether I personally enjoy using those nibs, I think offering them does credit to the respective brands.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Trust blindly? That's not me :) .

But, if I had to choose one brand, without a doubt it would be Pelikan. I love both their modern and vintage pens.

In fact, nowadays, it is very rare that I'd buy any modern pen not made by Pelikan and Montblanc.

I sort of casually collect vintage Sheaffer and Parker. But, Pelikans are the only vintage pens I have tried that I like the nibs and trust enough to carry around.

Which Pelikans I have? Too many to list (some 70-80, not really sure).

Even though I only have one sailor, I would probably have to go that route. The sheer number of options with the speciality nibs alone would make it the best choice for me.

New straight out of the box? Most likely Pilot for me, especially in terms of not needing to tune the nib. Including down to their cheapest Petit, works well straight out of the box.

Most of the other brands (especially Italian ones) if they're straight from the factory it's a hit or miss that it's going to need minor adjustment.

The one I seem to be the most skeptical of (or would want to have it tuned for sure before the seller sent it) is Visconti.

Vintages as said above, probably Parker in regards to their 51, 45, and 75. The 45s seem especially promising despite being their low cost pens of the time, yet if you get one, most of the time you just need a good flushing (and maybe a new converter on the 45/75) and you're good to go.

But I enjoy my vintage Pelikans much more than Parker.

Edited by KBeezie

If you are (God Forbid) about to choose one fountain pen brand that you enjoy the most and would stick to for the the rest of your life to use, which brand would it be, which pen/s exactly and why so? share your experience with the brand and how many pens do you own from them!

It has to be vintage Parker for me. Starting from the early flat top duofolds, through 51s to the AF Duofolds to the last of the English squeeze fill duofolds.

Why?:

Very well constructed, they have withstood the test of time, very easily repairable, reliable, Lovely nibs with a very wide variety of points, very wide and crisp Oblique Broads and Oblique extra broads.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Probably pilot. Apart from the VP, I have yet to find a pen they make that doesn't fit my hand and preferences.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

If I rephrase the question as 'Which brand to you trust blindly and enjoy the most?', my answer is Sailor.

If the question is 'Which brand do you trust blindly?', the answer is Pilot.

If the question is 'Which branch do you enjoy the most?', the answer is Pelikan.

My brand that I trust completely and without reservation is Conid! They have never failed to deliver (well maybe a bit later than promised ) a quality pen that writes perfectly from the start and then every time I pick up one of the six pens they have provided. If I ever just need a perfect pen, they are the ones I head to.

I don't think I have enough of any one brand to blindly say "this is the best for me".

I dearly love my Montblancs. They are consistent and reliable and I believe they will long outlive me. There is something very special about the way a Montblanc writes that suits my style very much.

I have several Pilots and I would not consider them reliable.

Truthfully, if I had to pick one brand, it would probably be Lamy. I have several Safaris, Al-Stars, Studios, Scalas, and a Lamy 2000. They all perform very well. I have only had one nib on a Safari that was not in good shape when I purchased it. But, the nib was easily exchanged.

I was considering to get a Lamy 2000, since it is praised by many. In addition people seem to enjoy Pelikans alot too!

Pen? Pelikan without a doubt.

Ink? Iroshizuku... Every bottle flawless

it seems many agree ! what types of nibs do you like ?

I am not sure that I have found both criteria in one brand, so here goes:

Trust blindly: Lamy (Safari, Studio, 2000) and Pelikan (M215, M600): all built like a tank, good finish, write out of the box. (Maybe I should also add Franklin Christoph to this list; same criteria apply)

Enjoy most: Aurora (88 vintage and new), I guess it's an emotional thing... I love their nibs and pistons.

i have never owned an aurora is it a good idea to try one before a lamy 2000 ( i know they are not at the same price point, but regarding experience)

Nakaya = not for me, I like our Platinum Izumo Tamenuri pens with urushi on ebonite bodies pens well enough, but I have no inclination whatsoever to spend Nakaya's asking prices (or, more precisely, Nibs.com's asking prices for Nakaya pens) on an elegant but rather plain-looking pen in similar style, and sporting what is essentially a Platinum nib. I'd much rather spend that kind of money on a Platinum Izumo Takeami with bamboo weaving covering the barrel and cap; I like the look, and imagine I'd like the texture.

I applaud Platinum for offering Ultra Extra Fine nibs for (selected models in) its #3776 Century product line, starting from the entry-level "Black on Black" and Bourgogne models, as well as its President product line, and without charging a premium for that nib selection. The Soft Fine nibs are impressively fine, too, although in practice I don't enjoy writing with them as much as I do Platinum's regular Fine nibs. What I don't applaud is the massive premium Platinum charges for its Music nibs, when neither Sailor nor Pilot charges extra for theirs over, say, a Medium nib. Not that it matters to me, since I don't particularly want to buy one; my curiosity about Music nibs (in any brand) has pretty much been extinguished.

In the same vein, I applaud Sailor for offering Zoom nibs for its entry-level Profit Standard models, and Pilot for offering a range of Soft (SF, SFM and SM) nibs for its entry-level Custom and Custom Heritage models; never mind that I tried the Custom line's #5 SF and SFM nibs and liked them even less than Platinum's SF and SFM nibs. I quite like the SEF nibs on the Pilot Elabo (or Namiki Falcon) models.

I haven't tried Pilot's PO, WA and Stub nibs for its Custom line, so I can't comment on whether I like them, but I hated the FA nib which seems to be the single most talked about "specialty" nib Pilot makes. The only Sailor speciality nib I have tried is the Naginata Concord, which I didn't like to begin with but learnt to appreciate its brilliance over time; I can't comment on the other specialty nibs, including the Naginata togi, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like them. Irrespective of whether I personally enjoy using those nibs, I think offering them does credit to the respective brands.

I agree with your opinion, and i think it couldn't have been said better! Its true that the Nakaya is offered at sky high prices, although you can find similar finishes from other japanese brands like Wancher (that are not known or advertised as much).

It seems you prefer finer nibs and and harder nibs. I have tried the sailor naginata Broad and appreciate the craftsmanship, but i can not agree that it can be used as an EDC.

I also agree with your idea about specialty nib prices, and some prices should be higher than others when they require extra labor work, but sometimes a huge margin of price difference is not justified ...

Trust blindly? That's not me :) .

But, if I had to choose one brand, without a doubt it would be Pelikan. I love both their modern and vintage pens.

In fact, nowadays, it is very rare that I'd buy any modern pen not made by Pelikan and Montblanc.

I sort of casually collect vintage Sheaffer and Parker. But, Pelikans are the only vintage pens I have tried that I like the nibs and trust enough to carry around.

Which Pelikans I have? Too many to list (some 70-80, not really sure).

have you owned an m1000?

Probably pilot. Apart from the VP, I have yet to find a pen they make that doesn't fit my hand and preferences.

even the big pilot namiki line ?

My brand that I trust completely and without reservation is Conid! They have never failed to deliver (well maybe a bit later than promised ) a quality pen that writes perfectly from the start and then every time I pick up one of the six pens they have provided. If I ever just need a perfect pen, they are the ones I head to.

i feel the brand is not advertised as much:(

Even though I only have one sailor, I would probably have to go that route. The sheer number of options with the speciality nibs alone would make it the best choice for me.

what nib sizes do you prefer ?

It has to be vintage Parker for me. Starting from the early flat top duofolds, through 51s to the AF Duofolds to the last of the English squeeze fill duofolds.

Why?:

Very well constructed, they have withstood the test of time, very easily repairable, reliable, Lovely nibs with a very wide variety of points, very wide and crisp Oblique Broads and Oblique extra broads.

my interest in parkers is growing, it seems many really love the vintage parkers more than the moderns ones though

If I rephrase the question as 'Which brand to you trust blindly and enjoy the most?', my answer is Sailor.

If the question is 'Which brand do you trust blindly?', the answer is Pilot.

If the question is 'Which branch do you enjoy the most?', the answer is Pelikan.

i think i have found a person who shares exactly my interest, i cant specify though what makes sailor so special, and what makes pelikan so enjoyable, any thoughts ?