Sailor Manyo Inks - 5 Samplings

DrDebG

Sailor Manyo Inks are a line of inks inspired by flowers written about in the ancient Manyoshu poetic compilations. I recently obtained 5 of the 8 inks. I am hoping to obtain the last three in the near future. Shown below is a quick writing sample illustrating the colors.

inks.jpg?w=739

fpn_1580012585__5_inks_2mp.jpg

fpn_1580012570__writing_sample_adj_2mp.j

Excerpt written from "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis

Paper: Seven Seas Crossfield Notebook with Tomoe River 52gsm paper

Pens (in order as written above):

Haha: Italix Captain's Commission with stub nib

Nekoyanagi: Pilot Metropolitan with 1.0 stub nib

Sumire: Lamy Studio with medium nib

Yonagi: Conklin Duragraph with 1.1 stub nib

Akebi: Lamy Aion with medium nib

fpn_1580012607__writing_sample_haha_clos

Sailor Manyo Haha ^

fpn_1580012621__nekoyanagi_closeup_adj.j

Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi ^

fpn_1580013400__sumire_closeup_adj.jpg

Sailor Manyo Sumire ^

fpn_1580013417__yonagi_closeup_adj.jpg

Sailor Manyo Yonagi ^

fpn_1580013428__akebi_writing_sample_adj

Sailor Manyo Akebi ^

While Haha and Nekoyanagi have the wonderful multi-color shading, Sumire, Yonagi and Akebi have strong sheening abilities. Sumire has a lovely red sheen with some nice shading. Yonagi has a strong pinkish burgundy sheen and also shades nicely. Akebi has a strong yellowish-green sheen that is clearly evident on every paper I have used the ink on. Akebi also shades somewhat.

Each of the inks behave very well in all the pens that I have tried them in. Overall, I am enjoying these inks and look forward to getting the others.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• yazeh

• Tom Kellie

• Eclipse157

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ 5Cavaliers:

Your Sailor Manyo Inks Comparison is most appreciated.

Using an excerpt from The Screwtape Letters is a wonderful touch.

Seeing all of the inks side-by-side, and in different nibs, offers several ways of assessing them.

Thank you for your care in preparing this helpful post.

Tom K.

Lovely review...

Haha reminds me of one the Troublemaker' s Abalone.....Lovely....

Akebi seems to one of the most original and lovely...

Excellent writing samples - thank you for taking the time to post.

I think my favourite is Akebi, it reminds me very much of two Sailor-made inks that I really enjoy using: Sankodo Tokugawa en botan and Joyful-2 Idaho Magenta. I think I’ll have to try a bottle.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Very nicely done, thanks for doing this :) My faves are Haha and Nekoyanagi, and among those not in your comparison, I'd love to see how Kuzu compares to Oku Yama and similar inks.

~ 5Cavaliers:

Your Sailor Manyo Inks Comparison is most appreciated.

Using an excerpt from The Screwtape Letters is a wonderful touch.

Seeing all of the inks side-by-side, and in different nibs, offers several ways of assessing them.

Thank you for your care in preparing this helpful post.

Tom K.

Thank you! They are very nice inks.

And C. S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors. I love his keen sense of irony.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Lovely review...

Haha reminds me of one the Troublemaker' s Abalone.....Lovely....

Akebi seems to one of the most original and lovely...

Haha is similar to Abalone, but different. I like them both in different ways.

Interestingly, Akebi is my least favorite so far, but of course I haven't been using it for very long. It will probably grow on me.

Excellent writing samples - thank you for taking the time to post.

I think my favourite is Akebi, it reminds me very much of two Sailor-made inks that I really enjoy using: Sankodo Tokugawa en botan and Joyful-2 Idaho Magenta. I think I’ll have to try a bottle.

Thank you for your kind remark. I have tried either of those. Truthfully, I have used a few Sailor Jentle inks and were not terribly impressed. I first purchased two of the Sailor Manyo inks on a whim because I saw an ink review of Haha and really liked it. After trying them for a couple of weeks, I decided to purchase another three and fell in love with them. I have now purchased the last three because I love the way the ink behaves. The colors are lovely, but what has sold me on the inks is their behavior. I also love the shading.

Very nicely done, thanks for doing this :) My faves are Haha and Nekoyanagi, and among those not in your comparison, I'd love to see how Kuzu compares to Oku Yama and similar inks.

Thank you so much for your comments. I haven't received Kuzu yet, but they should arrive shortly. I don't have Oku Yama, nor many other Sailor inks. While I have used a few of the Sailor Jentle inks, I was not impressed with Sailor inks until I purchased Haha and Nekoyanagi. Then when the next three arrived (above), I fell in love with the ink behavior (smooth, slightly lubricated, etc). The last three are on their way.

Haha is similar to Abalone, but different. I like them both in different ways.

Interestingly, Akebi is my least favorite so far, but of course I haven't been using it for very long. It will probably grow on me.

Akebi reminds me of Diamine's Communication Breakdown. I'm sure you it'll grow on you :)

Wonderful review. Thank you for posting.

I was wondering when we would see reviews of these.

I have 4 of them, but only tried 2 so far (Sumire & Akebi).

They did seem a little dry to me. Did you have the same impression?

Wonderful review. Thank you for posting.

I was wondering when we would see reviews of these.

I have 4 of them, but only tried 2 so far (Sumire & Akebi).

They did seem a little dry to me. Did you have the same impression?

Hi Lam1 - Thank you for your kind words. I am planning to do reviews on all of the Sailor Manyo inks in the future. I think they are great inks.

I have my Lamy Studio inked up with Sumire right now. This is a wet pen, but I don't detect that the ink is dry at all. I will put it one of my dryer pens and see how it works out. I have my Lamy Aion inked up with Akebi. This pen is fairly moderate but again I don't notice that Akebi is dry in this pen. But again, I will put it into another pen to see how it behaves. But thank you so much for your comments.

Hi Lam1 - Thank you for your kind words. I am planning to do reviews on all of the Sailor Manyo inks in the future. I think they are great inks.

I have my Lamy Studio inked up with Sumire right now. This is a wet pen, but I don't detect that the ink is dry at all. I will put it one of my dryer pens and see how it works out. I have my Lamy Aion inked up with Akebi. This pen is fairly moderate but again I don't notice that Akebi is dry in this pen. But again, I will put it into another pen to see how it behaves. But thank you so much for your comments.

I double checked and the ones I tried and found dry were Kikyou and Akebi. The Kikyou is in my KoP and I tried it agin today: it makes it feel like writing with sand. The Akebi was in my Sonnet and, while a little dry, it didn't feel bad. But your post inspired me to try the Kuzu, which I put in a S. T. Dupont and seems pretty wet, just the way I like. Maybe the other two just didn't agree with the pens. I'll try them in different pens.

I double checked and the ones I tried and found dry were Kikyou and Akebi. The Kikyou is in my KoP and I tried it agin today: it makes it feel like writing with sand. The Akebi was in my Sonnet and, while a little dry, it didn't feel bad. But your post inspired me to try the Kuzu, which I put in a S. T. Dupont and seems pretty wet, just the way I like. Maybe the other two just didn't agree with the pens. I'll try them in different pens.

Thank you for your comments. I haven't tried Kikyou or Kuzu. Both of those should arrive soon.

I am so....

Just ordered Haha and Nekoyanagi.

Can't wait to get them because they just look gorgeous.Bought ink.....again....

I am so....

Just ordered Haha and Nekoyanagi.

Can't wait to get them because they just look gorgeous.Bought ink.....again....

I know how you feel. I have bought a lot of ink this year and it is only January. :gaah:

I hadn’t heard of these inks before, and they look simply lovely. Thank you so much for this comparison! I haven’t explored Sailor inks yet, but they certainly deserve a closer look. I’ve read lots of positive things about them on FPN. Might be a good brand to explore in 2020.

Oh man I discovered Sailor inks with my last few sample hauls, and they are so good it's terrible (for my pockets ofc)... be warned!