What Is The Wettest Pen You Own

The-Thinker

have heard there are many QC issues with Visconti :(

Like many things in life, bad news makes headlines whilst the good news gets a two minute slot at the end.

This forum is full of happy VHS owners.

Good luck. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• corniche

• ENewton

• Tseg

.. the various i-g inks sold by KWZI, or ESSRI, or Diamine Registrar’s Ink.

The one KWZI iron gall I I have tried, Violet #3, is very, very wet and prone to bleed through the paper of inexpensive notebooks. It is a beautiful ink, just not one to use in a pen that tends to run wet.

.. the various i-g inks sold by KWZI, or ESSRI, or Diamine Registrar’s Ink.

The one KWZI iron gall I I have tried, Violet #3, is very, very wet and prone to bleed through the paper of inexpensive notebooks. It is a beautiful ink, just not one to use in a pen that tends to run wet.

They might have been set up so that their ink flow was optimal for vintage iron-gall inks. I believe that vintage i-g inks contained more iron & wrote (even-) ‘drier’ than modern i-g inks do.

My advice to anyone who finds their pen to be ‘too wet’ is, for a first step, to try running a ‘dry’ ink through it.

E.g.s inks such as Pelikan 4001 Königsblau (Royal Blue), their 4001 Blue-Black, or maybe even one of the Edelsteins.

If those won’t tame the pen enough for you, try iron-galls such as R&K Salix or Scabiosa, or the various i-g inks sold by KWZI, or ESSRI, or Diamine Registrar’s Ink.

Only after finding a pen inked with those inks to be ‘too wet’ would I want to send it off for irreversible alterations to its nib and/or feed. Especially on one of the larger (i.e. more expensive) pens like a Pelikan Soverän.

Of course, my idea is of absolutely no use at all if one hates the colours of all the inks I’ve mentioned, or really, really wants to use a ‘favourite’ ink in their pen but finds its flow too-wet for that particular ink.

i love your point! thank you for stating dry inks, i was wondering what to use

Like many things in life, bad news makes headlines whilst the good news gets a two minute slot at the end.

This forum is full of happy VHS owners.

Good luck. :)

i would agree with that, i have no idea how the new gold nibs compare to the old nib material

interesting !

Ooh, interesting.

The i-g inks I’ve used previously have all been rather ‘dry’, so to learn that that isn’t true for all i-g inks is very useful to me. Especially as most of my pens are ‘wet’-writers.

Thank you for educating me :thumbup:

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

All my pens have EF nibs which I have Mike Masuyama grind to EEF (Japanese EF). I seek to avoid wet nibs. Of my Delta, Omas, Pelikan, Montegrappa, Parker, Sailor, Visconti, MontBlanc, the Pelikan 18k was the wettest out of the box. Like TAS, my Visconti HS 23k Pd is next wettest. I very much like the Visconti Medici Maxi size and faceted body (and material), so was hoping that the gold plating on the 23k Pd might stiffen it (but kind of doubt it actually makes any difference). I've had Mike grind my two Medici nibs and he says he did something to reduce flow. Still, I must use Pelikan 4001 BB and be sure to avoid applying any pressure in order to generate as fine of a line as I prefer. Now I learn that Visconti is transitioning to 18k nibs on the Medici, which I imagine will be less wet. Ugh.

it was unusable wet, do you mean it started to leak or something, or did it write very very broad relative to a f

When you have to wait 4 to 5 minutes for ink to dry so you can turn a page in your journal and when all your e's and a's are filled in by excess ink I consider that unusable.

All my pens have EF nibs which I have Mike Masuyama grind to EEF (Japanese EF). I seek to avoid wet nibs. Of my Delta, Omas, Pelikan, Montegrappa, Parker, Sailor, Visconti, MontBlanc, the Pelikan 18k was the wettest out of the box. Like TAS, my Visconti HS 23k Pd is next wettest. I very much like the Visconti Medici Maxi size and faceted body (and material), so was hoping that the gold plating on the 23k Pd might stiffen it (but kind of doubt it actually makes any difference). I've had Mike grind my two Medici nibs and he says he did something to reduce flow. Still, I must use Pelikan 4001 BB and be sure to avoid applying any pressure in order to generate as fine of a line as I prefer. Now I learn that Visconti is transitioning to 18k nibs on the Medici, which I imagine will be less wet. Ugh.

yes i have heard they will be gold nibs, and might be more robust and stiff, which will decrease ink flow. Which pelikan 18k do you own btw ?

When you have to wait 4 to 5 minutes for ink to dry so you can turn a page in your journal and when all your e's and a's are filled in by excess ink I consider that unusable.

that is kinda annoying, i should agree :P

yes i have heard they will be gold nibs, and might be more robust and stiff, which will decrease ink flow. Which pelikan 18k do you own btw ?

M800 Pelikan.