Best Scented Inks?

TSherbs

None, I avoid scented products as much as possible, due to scent sensitivities. The last thing I need is to be surrounded by scented ink as well.

I'm on his side. :happy:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Tom Kellie

• E.H. Tersono

• amberleadavis

Sandlewood (green) at Vaness smells just like clean soap. Nice green too, hard to find. 

KWZ Honey smells amazing.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I'm another one that's not a fan of scented anything, but I did recently get a bottle of the De Atramentis Vanilla for my daughter, and she loves it and says she finds it soothing. Unfortunately, I keep noticing she has black smudges on the end of her nose. 

On 4/27/2021 at 11:31 AM, Pen90rnAddict said:

Sandlewood (green) at Vaness smells just like clean soap. Nice green too, hard to find. 

I would like to buy a sample of this that you speak of.

My first bottle of ink that I ever purchased with my first fountain pen was a "Cedar" scented black ink.
It smelled AMAZING but compared to the ink cartridge that came with my pen, it was very VERY runny and made my writing bigger than it actually was. Whatever they put in the ink to make it scented thinned it out and made it so runny that I couldn't write on anything without it flooding the paper.

Then I picked up a bottle of the J-Herbin - Cocoa scented ink (forget the name of it) for my son and while it does indeed smell like chocolate, it is only in the bottle. When you write with it, there is no transfer of scent to the paper. Very disappointing...

I would love to pick up a scented green or brown ink but it would have to have a powerful scent and not turn my pen into a firehose.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

@TSherbs

Have you received your purchases yet?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That will teach me not to look at the dates. 

So which ones did you like?  I like De Atramentis Roses and De Atramentis Lavender but find that I don't use either very often.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 5 months later...

Glad to find this thread and discussion, as I'm very keen on both personal and home fragrances - and also very picky about them. And I was interested in learning more about both the J Herbin and De Atramentis inks. I've noticed a lot of reviews of the Herbin scented inks compare them to cologne and I wouldn't want that kind of department store cologne scent, but would be more interested in what we could call niche scents.

I'm also wondering about making my own scented inks using niche fragrances by simply adding a drop to a vial of ink and testing it out. The ratio of liquid to pigment would immediately be disrupted, and so I assume when making these the manufacturers account for that in the recipe. One could, I suppose evaporate a bit of liquid from an existing ink and then replace it. But are they using alcohol based fragrance, or something else in these? Since personal fragrances are often a very large percent alcohol... Wondering and thinking...

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

I love the strong smell of Noodler Baystate blue, KWZ inks have a pleasant smell . I strongly dislike the smell of some of the  Herbin scented inks.

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Pelikan 4001 Brillian Black.  Smells like ink 😁

That's how I also feel about P 4001 RB. Just smells like ink.

But I was also curious about the scented inks, thus this thread some months ago....

12 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Pelikan 4001 Brillian Black.  Smells like ink 😁

The question to follow-up from this is then: Have you had a chance to smell some of the niche or avant-garde fragrances that are supposed to smell like ink! For example the Comme des Garçons scent "2" which was created after the perfumer was asked to create a scent recalling black ink, specifically I've seen it said, sumi ink.

Here is a list of all the fragrances on one fairly comprehensive site that include the "ink" note in the design.

This one is called "The Rhymer's Club"

Described this way: "The essence of debauched gentility - absinthe poured over sugar cubes in a tarnished silver strainer, lavender shaving soap, dried roses crumbing to dust, anise, rosewood, linen writing paper, wet ink, dusty old book bindings, ocean soaked dockwood, and oakmoss." (from the brand's website)

How you can smell linen paper, wet ink, and dusty old book bindings through all the rest of those flavor notes is beyond me.....

9 hours ago, E.H. Tersono said:

Have you had a chance to smell some of the niche or avant-garde fragrances that are supposed to smell like ink!

No.  A dab of sumi either side of my neck does the trick 🤪

Add lightness and simplicate.

17 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

No.  A dab of sumi either side of my neck does the trick 🤪

Could easily start an avant-garde makeup/fashion trend by doing that! the benefit of both the scent and the black dots with artistic drips going down the sides of the neck. Very en vogue circa the year 2067 I'm thinking.