A Smug Dill

I am sorry that the receiving of your generous gifts seems to end in such a sizzle. Especially given the trouble you go through to send these samples out and make sure they arrive without spilling...

Hopefully the two would-be recipients are OK and just not reading all posts they participate in... I wish you better luck next time!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• firewrath9

• yazeh

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(double post)

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Set SS03 goes to KingRoach
Winners, please send me your mailing address by private message.

I also haven't head from KingRoach, who hasn't been online for a few days. I'll reallocate set SS03 if I don't hear from him in the next 48 hours.

Seven days have passed since the results were first announced. I see KingRoach was last online 27 hours ago, but I have not heard from him, even though I know the private messaging system on FPN is work because other members have been in contact with me.

I'll therefore reallocate set SS03.

@firewrath9, set SS03 is yours if you send me your mailing address by private message in the next two days.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

All three ink sample sets have been dispatched by untracked international letter post.

This giveaway is now concluded.

• 2 weeks later...

My my! I am so sorry I never saw this. I couldn't get a chance to see the forums in a while. That last login of mine was merely to go straight to my inbox and send a message to one person in particular.

I apologise if my absence gave you any inconvenience, thank you so much for allowing me to "win" the first time, and good luck to the recepient of SS03, firewrath09!

Again, thank you for organising this giveaway, and sorry if I'd caused any inconvenience.

I recieved it today, I just wanted to say your handwriting is so nice! I wish mine would look as good as yours. I'll be sending pictures of the swabs I make soon!

@firewrath9 Thank you for the update. Glad to hear the package made it to you okay!

fpn_1583448677__img_1122.jpg

BTW, your packaging was great. I really like the nioi-sumire, I'm going to have to pick a bottle up! Paper was tomoe river, here are the swabs: (incl. my own Souten)

@yazeh, thank you for confirming that the contents arrived without damage or spillage. I hope you enjoy the ink samples!

Love the care you took with that!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

@yazeh, thank you for confirming that the contents arrived without damage or spillage. I hope you enjoy the ink samples!

I am already. Thank you :)

Edited by yazeh

I'd love to be able to find a supplier of empty 2.4mm bore "international standard" short cartridges, with the tubes and end caps separate on arrival for the customer to assemble. That would make all that absorbent void fill and impervious sealing layer around the liquid ink containers unnecessary. If the unit price is cheap enough, I'd be happy to get a single lot of 1,000, 2,000 or even 5,000 pieces, and perhaps give away some of the surplus to fellow hobbyists who want to share their stash of inks with others.

Thanks for that. I looked at getting Chinese ink cartridges in bulk, before ordering the 1.5ml centrifuge tubes and experimenting with the latter. Reusing previously filled ink cartridges as liquid containers is too much work (never mind the "wastage" of the original ink), with too much of a risk of contamination of the ink samples (with remnants of the original ink and/or water droplets from the flushing/drying process), but without the advantage of reliability against leakage (if I seal the punctured openings with either wax or hot-melt glue) or resilience against impact during transit by letter post. Filling the tube of a "virgin" ink cartridge with liquid, and then plugging it in the back end with a cap would be a different proposition altogether.

Thanks @A Smug Dill, got the samples today. Excited to try these out. Very well packaged!

IMG_20200309_123046520.jpg

Edited by linkoiram

@linkoiram Cheers.

Looks like that particular packing method works quite well after all.

For others who are considering offering ink samples to others: up to 12ml (not a volume-based limit, but in consideration of the weight of the liquid) of ink can be sent as an up-to-50g "large letter" (maximum dimensions: 360×260×20mm) by economy air mail internationally. I use six (nominally) 1.8ml screw-top sample vials, which can actually hold maybe 2.3ml each, to pack three 4ml (or six 2ml) samples inside the 16mm-high cardboard mailer when I send ink for Mountain of Ink to review. The ink and vials add up to about 22g; and with four styrofoam beams to form a frame, unrolled cotton balls as absorbent void fill, a sheet of cling wrap as the non-porous barrier to protect the cardboard shell, and glue to keep everything in place, the combined weight adds up to approximately 47g. A wide strip of transparent tape around the mailer (to strap it down so that the package stays compressed and will just fit through a 20mm thickness gauge) bring the weight to 48g, and if you apply the square, self-adhesive section of a CN22 declaration form (supplied by Australia Post), that brings the total to a smidgen under 50g. My recommendation would be to fill in the CN22 form beforehand, but let the post office staff weigh the package first and assess the applicable postage, before handing them the completed form for them to apply onto the exterior of the package, just to be safe in that scenario.