A Smug Dill

THE GIVEAWAY OFFER

I'm giving away two separate Sailor Shikiori ink sampler sets, consisting of 0.7-0.75ml samples supplied in resealable 1.5ml centrifuge tubes. The specific inks included in each set are:

Set SS01: souten, shigure, miruai, yonaga, okuyama, rikyucha, kinmokusei
Set SS02: yamadori, chushu, tokiwamatsu, shimoyo, yodaki, doyou, nioisumire

Each set will be packaged in a small cardboard mailer with sufficient protection (along the lines of this here), and include either a 0.5ml plastic pipette, or a 1ml syringe with a plastic blunt-tip 14-gauge needle, for easy transfer of the inks into any converter, empty cartridge, or eyedropper pen barrel.

WHO PAYS FOR POSTAGE?

I'll pay for postage and send the package by untracked, unregistered letter mail.

(Australia Post regards a postal article of that size, shape and weight as a large letter, full stop. My other options are to send it in that format by registered mail, or pack it in a larger box so that the article measures more than 20mm in total thickness.)

DEADLINE FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

13 February 2020, 3:00AM Australian Eastern Daylight Time

HOW TO ENTER

Post your expression of interest in this thread, noting for which specific set(s) you want to be considered. You may list more than one set, in descending order of preference.

ELIGIBILITY TO ENTER

This giveaway is open to all FPN members, subject to:

• Customs and postal service regulations of the recipient's country, if outside of Australia, allow properly declared, non-hazardous liquid in sealed containers to enter and be delivered by international mail as (large) letters from Australia; and
  • the address provided by the recipient is one to which (large) letters can be delivered by the incumbent postal service.

That means, for example, Yemen is excluded; and Australia Post Parcel Locker and Parcel Collect addresses may not be used as the delivery address, because Australia Post will not deliver letters to such addresses as a rule. Whether letters addressed to a Parcel Locker will be automatically redirected, behind the scenes and at Australia Post's discretion, to the registered user's residential address on file is irrelevant.

SELECTION METHOD

I will select recipients randomly in principle. For each ink sampler set in this giveaway, I will group expressions of interest posted here by the stated entry deadline thus:

• Entrants who have never been allocated any of my giveaway ink sampler sets
  • Entrants who have received a ink sampler set from me before, but have not already been allocated a different ink sampler set in this giveaway
  • Entrants who have already been allocated another ink sampler set in this giveaway

and then:

• If Group 1 is not empty, I will randomly select a member of that group as the recipient for the set (thus putting him or her in Group 3 for everything else in this giveaway).
  • If Group 1 is empty, I will randomly select a member of Group 2 if it is not empty.
  • If both Group 1 and Group 2 are empty, I will randomly select a member of Group 3 if it is not empty.
  • If all three groups are empty, i.e. nobody wants that ink sampler set, then that particular ink sampler set is permanently withdrawn.

SPECIAL NOTE

In spite of some misinformation you may have seen online, none of these Sailor ink colours have been discontinued from either production or sale, in either 2019 or 2020. All of them continue to be quite widely available, for ordering from well-known retailers in Australia, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, UK and USA that will ship worldwide. (The same cannot be said about, say, Sailor Kujukuri Coast inks.) The per-millilitre price may not work out to be cheap, even though they're only sold in 20ml bottles and thus the bottle price isn't high, so I understand someone may want to be really sure about these inks ticking their boxes before committing to acquiring full bottles of particular colours.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• firewrath9

• yazeh

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the giveaway! I have a bottle of Shikiori Souten, so I guess it's Set 2 for me if I win. set 1 is fine as well.

I have not won any of your giveaways.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by firewrath9

Love to have either one, but if I need to make a choi

ce I'll go with set 2. Thanks!

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. - Mark Twain

Hi, thanks for doing another one! I'd like to try again. Most of the inks in each set I have not heard of before, but I'm curious, and souten is one I'd like to try. I have not received any samples or other giveaways from you, and letters can be sent to my address, so I guess I qualify... so please enter me for a chance. My preference is set 1, then set 2.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks for the opportunity. I'd like either but prefer #1 over #2.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi

Thank you for such generosity! As I have never used Sailor inks before I would love to be considered for either/both of these sets, please:

Set SS01: souten, shigure, miruai, yonaga, okuyama, rikyucha, kinmokusei
Set SS02: yamadori, chushu, tokiwamatsu, shimoyo, yodaki, doyou, nioisumire

Cheers

AA

Edited by AntiqueApprentice

Thanks for the giveaway. I would like to be considered for the Set 2. I haven't won any giveaways from you and letters can be sent to my address.

Edited by ashutoshthakur

Either set would be fine if chosen. My ink collection is rather basic, and was considering trying ink from this line. However, I live in the US, so Im not sure if shipping is feasible on your end.

However, I live in the US, so Im not sure if shipping is feasible on your end.

That's perfectly fine. Cost-wise, it's not a big deal in this format. A couple of ink sampler sets in the same format were successfully delivered to other recipients in USA. The only set of ink samples that has yet to be received by the ink recipient after over a month was sent to Canada.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

For operational reasons, I ended up filling a third sampler set, consisting of:

Set SS03: yamadori, miruai, okuyama, doyou, shimoyo, nioisumire, kinmokusei

so I'll be giving that away as well. I'll do my best to work out a fair way to decide to whom to send it, but to be fair to those who have expressed interest before February, it'll probably go something along the lines of:

• Anyone who expressed interest in only one of first two sets: six "tickets" for that set
  • Anyone who expressed a preference among the first two sets: three "tickets" for the first preference, two "tickets" for the second preference, and one "ticket" for set SS03
  • Anyone who expressed interest in either set without stating a preference: two "tickets" for each set in SS01, SS02 and SS03

and them draw recipients randomly from the tickets for each set in the order of SS01, SS02 and SS03. If anyone wants to update their entries and/or preferences, you're more than welcome to do so.

Can we set our first/second preference to Set SS03? I really want to try out the Yamadori. If so, then I'd like to set a preference for Set 3 as first and Set 2 as second, if not, then my previous request of Set 2 first, then Set 1 stands.

Thanks for the giveaway!

Edited by firewrath9

@firewrath9, sure. I'll (probably) put you in for three "tickets" for SS03, two for SS02, and one for SS01, the way I'm thinking about it now.

Obviously, anyone who gets picked for set SS03 (note: last set to be drawn) on the basis of his/her ticket drawn can refuse when the results are known; in which case I'll just cancel those tickets and pick someone else.

It sounds like you're having some fun deciding who gets what. Great idea! Enjoy the extra complication... (I would.)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi