Conid, Eh?

markofp

I think their plan for May 1 will end up being extended because of production delays under the COVID-19 lockdown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WLSpec

• silverlifter

• markofp

• GOTO10

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think their plan for May 1 will end up being extended because of production delays under the COVID-19 lockdown.

I think it will too.

Belgium has a very disproportionate number of cases and deaths per million residents, the highest in the world. As of the moment I am typing this, almost 40,000 cases and nearly 6,000 deaths. I don't know how things fell apart there so badly, but it speaks to a shocking level of either unpreparedness or crisis management, or both. I pray for the people there, and I will patiently wait until things settle before I expect to see a pen.

I got my pen today, an AVDA Phi Minimalistica, so they are clearly still making and shipping.

I hadn't realised that Belgium was doing that badly with COVID-19. Very sad. I hope that we all look at this circumstance more multi-factorially rather than look towards management on the governments part as the sole factor accounting for the variable experience across the globe.

Edited by maclink

I got my pen today, an AVDA Phi Minimalistica, so they are clearly still making and shipping.

I hadn't realised that Belgium was doing that badly with COVIS-19. Very sad. I hope that we all look at this circumstance more multi-factorially rather than look towards management on the governments part as the sole factor accounting for the variable experience across the globe.

Congrats on the new pen.

I wasn't aware of Belgium's predicament either. Hopefully they will be okay soon enough.

I fell in love immediately with this pen. It fits perfectly in my hand. The nib is a titanium fine, custom ground to italic stub; making it a lovely writer with a juicy ink flow. The slip cap is a sticking point for some but I personally don't mind it. It's secure although I have to say that the thought that I need to, at some point, change the rubber ring in the cap, doesn't sit so well with me.

I currently have it inked with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. I am not at all disappointed in this purchase and am also seriously glad that I held out and waited, rather than cancel.

I also have my Antwerp Pen Regular which is my current everyday carry. My experience was different with this model in that I was initially underwhelmed. I didn't particularly like the pen's contour etc. It was too blockish and utilitarian. No beauty if you know what I mean. :) Not my personal cup of tea. Anyway, the nib is great, again a titanium fine and the overall comfort, nice ink capacity etc., made the pen grow on me. It's the most expensive pen I've bought and yet, it's my EDC since it works so well and certainly doesn't look its price. ;) Never thought that would happen!!

My minimalistica is so nice, that I'll be using it only at home for now.

I fell in love immediately with this pen. It fits perfectly in my hand. The nib is a titanium fine, custom ground to italic stub; making it a lovely writer with a juicy ink flow. The slip cap is a sticking point for some but I personally don't mind it. It's secure although I have to say that the thought that I need to, at some point, change the rubber ring in the cap, doesn't sit so well with me.

I currently have it inked with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. I am not at all disappointed in this purchase and am also seriously glad that I held out and waited, rather than cancel.

I also have my Antwerp Pen Regular which is my current everyday carry. My experience was different with this model in that I was initially underwhelmed. I didn't particularly like the pen's contour etc. It was too blockish and utilitarian. No beauty if you know what I mean. :) Not my personal cup of tea. Anyway, the nib is great, again a titanium fine and the overall comfort, nice ink capacity etc., made the pen grow on me. It's the most expensive pen I've bought and yet, it's my EDC since it works so well and certainly doesn't look its price. ;) Never thought that would happen!!

My minimalistica is so nice, that I'll be using it only at home for now.

Sounds great! Did you get a demonstrator or delrin?

While I'm on the topic of Conid - Did Conid offer a full demo without a clip before they closed, or if I chose full demo would it have a clip?

The caps come with or without clips. They are slightly less expensive without. :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

The caps come with or without clips. They are slightly less expensive without. :)

Which is perfect, because I prefer clipless demos! :)

Edited by WLSpec

Sounds great! Did you get a demonstrator or delrin?

While I'm on the topic of Conid - Did Conid offer a full demo without a clip before they closed, or if I chose full demo would it have a clip?

Here's mine:

fpn_1587534090__cmd_closed.jpeg

fpn_1587534078__cmd_open.jpeg

Edited by maclink

Belgium has a very disproportionate number of cases and deaths per million residents, the highest in the world. As of the moment I am typing this, almost 40,000 cases and nearly 6,000 deaths. I don't know how things fell apart there so badly, but it speaks to a shocking level of either unpreparedness or crisis management, or both. I pray for the people there, and I will patiently wait until things settle before I expect to see a pen.

This is completely untrue. This false rumor is because the Belgian authority count much more rigourously the mortality. Belgium is the only country that include all the suspicious deaths in seniories, resthouses and elsewhere in his Covid-19 statistics. If Belgium should count the same way as the other countries, it should have a much better score than France, Netherlands, UK and most of the other West-European countries.

Belgium has a very advanced healthcare system, probably the best of the world. Our intensive care units were never overwhelmed during this crisis.

Orval

This is completely untrue. This false rumor is because the Belgian authority count much more rigourously the mortality. Belgium is the only country that include all the suspicious deaths in seniories, resthouses and elsewhere in his Covid-19 statistics. If Belgium should count the same way as the other countries, it should have a much better score than France, Netherlands, UK and most of the other West-European countries.

Belgium has a very advanced healthcare system, probably the best of the world. Our intensive care units were never overwhelmed during this crisis.

So the death toll in Belgium is so high because officials there are intentionally artificially inflating the numbers? Is there some kind of prize awarded to the country that claims the most dead?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/19/why-is-belgiums-death-toll-so-high-195778

So the death toll in Belgium is so high because officials there are intentionally artificially inflating the numbers? Is there some kind of prize awarded to the country that claims the most dead?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/19/why-is-belgiums-death-toll-so-high-195778

I am sorry, but I really do feel bad at ease to see people discussing death methodology this way. Could you do it with pm please?

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

You linked a sensible article that explained the reasoning and then chose to summarize it with something different from what was written in that very link.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I am sorry, but I really do feel bad at ease to see people discussing death methodology this way. Could you do it with pm please?

I agree!, this not a political conversation, but rather it is about the wonderful CONID pens!

Let us offer prayers, smoke, or just well wishes to all those who suffer as a result of COVID-19. Far too many have died and suffered.

To provide an update to some of my previous posts in this thread, I received my Conid Kingsize yesterday. I immediately threw a Sailor KoP nib in it and am amazingly happy with everything about it.

Defiantly worth the wait and I'm looking forward to future purchases from Conid when they re-open to orders.

Conid.jpeg

To provide an update to some of my previous posts in this thread, I received my Conid Kingsize yesterday. I immediately threw a Sailor KoP nib in it and am amazingly happy with everything about it.

Defiantly worth the wait and I'm looking forward to future purchases from Conid when they re-open to orders.

Congrats! Looks wonderful.

I guess I have to ask: it seems a lot of folks swap the nib on these from the Bock to something else. I'm a little curious about it. Are the Bock nibs any good at all? I was thinking about ordering one with the titanium nib, partly for the aesthetics of the pen. But all this talk in this and other threads of nib swapping . . .

I have a Minimalistica with two nibs: an early Sailor 21k Pro Gear nib, and a Conid (Bock) Ti Fine CI.

My Conid was one of the last to ship on time before the Great Silence, so this may have been a contributing factor, but the Ti CI was awful: it was coarse, and the times vibrated when I wrote with it.

I had heard nothing but good things about their in house grinds, especially Ti CIs, so I was pretty surprised. I put the Sailor nib in it and sent the Conid nib to Mark Bacas for a tune.

Since I have got the Ti nib back, the Sailor has sat in a drawer, unused. I love the Ti nib now; it has the perfect blend of line variation, feedback/sensitivity, and balance between crisp edges and smooth traversal of the page.

I'd like to think that, under less pressure, the nib would have emerged from Conid in the same shape. In any event, I would encourage you to give their Ti nibs a shot; when they work, they are a marvellous thing.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.