Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century Sf Nib

Tom Kellie

*** Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century SF Nib ***

~ In March, 2018 a friend of many decades expressed an interest in fountain pens and handwriting.

A Japanese-American whose family, like mine, lived in Hawai’i, we’d talked about surfing, shared meals, visited Paris together, and joked about life.

Fountain pens had never been a topic, although he was aware of my interest in pens, inks and paper.

After due consideration, he settled on a Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne with a Music Nib.

As his pen consistently performed well, he gently teased me about someday welcoming a Platinum to my writing desk.

In 2019 a pair of Pilot Metropolitan (Green Marble and Violet Leopard) pens, a Pilot Prera (Lime Green) and a Sailor Shikiori Hisakata Uchimizu pen all became available for daily sketching or handwriting.

In the local Eslite Spectrum Writing Boutique at the MixC World shopping mall I saw Platinum 3776 Century pens for the first time.

In October, 2019 I read a post in the FPN’s The Mall announcing a North American Exclusive from Platinum — A Carnelian 3776 Century.

My interest was immediate, not only because of my interest in a 3776 Century, but because of the Carnelian color.

As a young teenager in the mid-1960s I accompanied my family on several day trips to secluded locations in southwestern Washington State.

We were seeking carnelian agates washed down chilly streams near Chehalis, Centralia and Mt. St. Helens.

Those experiences, as well as reading mentions of carnelian in the Bible, resulted in an awareness and appreciation which might otherwise have been absent.

As the Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century was offered as a North American Exclusive, it seemed that there would be no practical means of ordering one.

An entirely separate matter was my interest in KWZ Grapefruit ink. Where I work and live KWZ inks aren’t generally available.

However, by chance, a pen and ink dealer in neighboring Hong Kong came to my attention, offering KWZ inks, among others.

During the process of ordering, I glanced at the fountain pens listed. To my surprise a single Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century was on offer.

The KWZ Grapefruit ink and the Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century fountain pen were ordered, the latter with a Soft Fine (SF) nib.

The SF nib was selected as it seemed like a useful contrast to other nibs on my fountain pens.

I also liked the notion of ‘SF’ on a nib, as my childhood family physician was a well-known science fiction author and one of my friends is a highly respected science fiction author.

Below is an image set showing the arrival, opening, and first look at the Grapefruit ink and the Carnelian 3776 Century pen.

Both ink and pen are outstanding. They set a high bar for satisfaction in 2020 fountain pen sketching and handwriting.

Although I don’t match pens and inks, by chance the Grapefruit underscores the bright hue of the Carnelian 3776 Century.

The SF nib provides exceptionally sensitive feedback from the paper surface. It’s ideal for margin notes where writing space is at a premium.

There’s no scratchiness, no skipping, no difficulty in commencing ink flow.

Last month I received a Pelikan M205 Star Ruby BB nib with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind.

Both the Carnelian and the Star Ruby are shades of red, with faint inclusions glittering in the resin.

While not chatoyant, per se, the tiny sparkles in both pens are subtly attractive, not at all showy or distracting.

For convenience, an image of the two two pens side-by-side is included below.

I hope that this post will do justice to the attractive Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century fountain pen.

Tom K.

fpn_1579674163__shipping_box.jpg

Shipping Box, As Received

fpn_1579674266__the_unveiling.jpg

The Unveiling

fpn_1579674496__two_wrapped_items.jpg

Two Wrapped Items

fpn_1579674569__ink_box.jpg

Ink Box

fpn_1579674652__kwz_grapefruit.jpg

KWZ Grapefruit

fpn_1579674701__bubble-wrap.jpg

Bubble-wrap

fpn_1579674771__outer_box.jpg

Outer Box

fpn_1579674824__outer_and_inner_box.jpg

Outer and Inner Box

fpn_1579675001__within_a_plastic_shroud.

Within a Plastic Shroud

fpn_1579675068__from_the_presentation_bo

From Within the Presentation Box

fpn_1579675193__converter_with_pen.jpg

Converter With Pen

fpn_1579675253__components.jpg

Components

fpn_1579675302__platinum_carnelian_3776_

Platinum Carnelian 3776 Century SF

fpn_1579675392__platinum_carnelian_sf_ni

Platinum Carnelian SF Nib

fpn_1579675482__3776_carnelian_note.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• DrDebG

• WLSpec

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1579675656__sparkles_in_red.jpg

Sparkles in Red

(Platinum Carnelian 3776 Century SF & Pelikan M205 Star Ruby BB with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind)

Awesome! Congratulations on a new acquisition! Per chance, did you have a look at the Platinum ink line up? The new series (Black) hues in color looks interesting.

Congratulations on your latest purchase Tom, that's a lovely pen! And I'm ordering the ink right now, just my colour, very corn poppy red-ish :-)

I am curious about the size of the pen, is it closer to an m400 or m600?

Congratulations on your latest purchase Tom, that's a lovely pen! And I'm ordering the ink right now, just my colour, very corn poppy red-ish :-)

I am curious about the size of the pen, is it closer to an m400 or m600?

~ dascott:

Thank you so much!

The ink's color is intense, easy to read, yet not garish.

The Carnelian 3776 Century is closer to an M600 length.

While it's not at all heavy, there's a certain pleasing heft to it.

My writing desk is aglow with this fresh arrival.

Tom K.

Awesome! Congratulations on a new acquisition! Per chance, did you have a look at the Platinum ink line up? The new series (Black) hues in color looks interesting.

~ Pravda:

That's very kind of you to write that.

Thank you.

To date, I've never seen Platinum ink.

I know of a store which may offer it.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Tom K.

Congratulations! What an excellent review. I really appreciate reading why you chose the color pen that you did and also the nib. A couple of years ago, I purchased a 3776 for my husband. He loves it because the cap seals the nib and it doesn't dry out.

Happy Lunar New Year! and Happy writing!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Congratulations! What an excellent review. I really appreciate reading why you chose the color pen that you did and also the nib. A couple of years ago, I purchased a 3776 for my husband. He loves it because the cap seals the nib and it doesn't dry out.

Happy Lunar New Year! and Happy writing!

~ 5Cavaliers:

Thank you very much for your kind comments above.

I'm glad to know that your husband likes the 3776 which you gave him.

Happy Lunar New Year to you, too!

Tom K.

Oh my... what a beauty! I always like seeing the unboxing process in pictures, wonderful photography there

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the pen... I blew my pen budget already but you're making me reconsider with this eye candy... :lol:

*** Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century SF Nib ***

~ In March, 2018 a friend of many decades expressed an interest in fountain pens and handwriting.
A Japanese-American whose family, like mine, lived in Hawai’i, we’d talked about surfing, shared meals, visited Paris together, and joked about life.
Fountain pens had never been a topic, although he was aware of my interest in pens, inks and paper.
After due consideration, he settled on a Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne with a Music Nib.
As his pen consistently performed well, he gently teased me about someday welcoming a Platinum to my writing desk.
In 2019 a pair of Pilot Metropolitan (Green Marble and Violet Leopard) pens, a Pilot Prera (Lime Green) and a Sailor Shikiori Hisakata Uchimizu pen all became available for daily sketching or handwriting.
In the local Eslite Spectrum Writing Boutique at the MixC World shopping mall I saw Platinum 3776 Century pens for the first time.
In October, 2019 I read a post in the FPN’s The Mall announcing a North American Exclusive from Platinum — A Carnelian 3776 Century.
My interest was immediate, not only because of my interest in a 3776 Century, but because of the Carnelian color.
As a young teenager in the mid-1960s I accompanied my family on several day trips to secluded locations in southwestern Washington State.
We were seeking carnelian agates washed down chilly streams near Chehalis, Centralia and Mt. St. Helens.
Those experiences, as well as reading mentions of carnelian in the Bible, resulted in an awareness and appreciation which might otherwise have been absent.
As the Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century was offered as a North American Exclusive, it seemed that there would be no practical means of ordering one.
An entirely separate matter was my interest in KWZ Grapefruit ink. Where I work and live KWZ inks aren’t generally available.
However, by chance, a pen and ink dealer in neighboring Hong Kong came to my attention, offering KWZ inks, among others.
During the process of ordering, I glanced at the fountain pens listed. To my surprise a single Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century was on offer.
The KWZ Grapefruit ink and the Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century fountain pen were ordered, the latter with a Soft Fine (SF) nib.
The SF nib was selected as it seemed like a useful contrast to other nibs on my fountain pens.
I also liked the notion of ‘SF’ on a nib, as my childhood family physician was a well-known science fiction author and one of my friends is a highly respected science fiction author.
Below is an image set showing the arrival, opening, and first look at the Grapefruit ink and the Carnelian 3776 Century pen.
Both ink and pen are outstanding. They set a high bar for satisfaction in 2020 fountain pen sketching and handwriting.
Although I don’t match pens and inks, by chance the Grapefruit underscores the bright hue of the Carnelian 3776 Century.
The SF nib provides exceptionally sensitive feedback from the paper surface. It’s ideal for margin notes where writing space is at a premium.
There’s no scratchiness, no skipping, no difficulty in commencing ink flow.
Last month I received a Pelikan M205 Star Ruby BB nib with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind.
Both the Carnelian and the Star Ruby are shades of red, with faint inclusions glittering in the resin.
While not chatoyant, per se, the tiny sparkles in both pens are subtly attractive, not at all showy or distracting.
For convenience, an image of the two two pens side-by-side is included below.
I hope that this post will do justice to the attractive Carnelian Platinum 3776 Century fountain pen.
Tom K.
Shipping Box, As Received
The Unveiling
Two Wrapped Items
Ink Box
KWZ Grapefruit
Bubble-wrap
Outer Box
Outer and Inner Box
Within a Plastic Shroud
From Within the Presentation Box
Converter With Pen
Components
Platinum Carnelian 3776 Century SF
Platinum Carnelian SF Nib

Excellent Photos, Tom Kellie, the 3776 Carnelian looks like an outstanding pen! It is hard to tell from the photos, but is there a hint of orange in the KWZ ink, or is it very much red?

Excellent Photos, Tom Kellie, the 3776 Carnelian looks like an outstanding pen! It is hard to tell from the photos, but is there a hint of orange in the KWZ ink, or is it very much red?

~ N1003U:

Thank you!

There is indeed a hint of orange.

Only a slight tinge, mind you, but it's there.

Both pen and ink are a terrific combination for beginning 2020.

Tom K.

Oh my... what a beauty! I always like seeing the unboxing process in pictures, wonderful photography there

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the pen... I blew my pen budget already but you're making me reconsider with this eye candy... :lol:

~ WLSpec:

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the image series.

It's a fun way to relive the thrill of receiving news pens and inks.

The Platinum Carnelian 3776 Century is well worth considering.

Tom K.

Dear Tom,

Thank you for sharing this story and congratulations on your new acquisitions. Indeed the Nakaya / Platinum Soft Fine is an excellent nib to add to your collection. Enjoy it in good health.

MalcLee

post-147005-0-99539000-1579935897_thumb.jpeg

• 4 months later...

That's a lovely pen. I've just acquired an apricot (Nagasawa) and I shall be on the lookout for a carnelian, though since I'm in Europe I may have to track one down at a pen show....

~ amk:

Thank you!

In the months since it was added to the writing desk, its value as a writer has become clear.

In the hand, the color is cheering and the SF nib is a reliable size.

I hope that someday you might encounter one in a pen show.

Tom K.