Paper For Fountain Pens. What Happened?

glorfindel

Birmingham Pens also sells Tomoe River paper.

https://www.birminghampens.com/collections/paper

He's got A4, A3!! and A5 plus a variety of smaller books. No B5 as far as I can see. I like that size too and I use the Mnemosyne pads. Not Tomoe River, but I like it better than any of the over fixed European papers.

FInally! But alas they're sold out.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• glorfindel

• saskia_madding

• inkstainedruth

I don't recall ever seeing any retail Tomoe River paper product that is B4 (250mm x 353mm) or larger in surface area. A B4 page has 41.5% more surface area than an A4 page. Are you sure you didn't mean "B5 or larger"?

Yes, sorry, I meant B5 or larger. Thanks for spotting it!

I too was unable to contact Jay to get more of his hard bound journals made with Tomoe River paper. So, I ended up buying some Japanese notebooks by Maruman. Maruman Memosyne (sp?) is the name of the notebook, which comes in A5, A4 sizes. It is different from journals made by Jay, in that (1) notebooks are spiral bound, and (2) paper is not Tomoe River paper, but, I must say, whatever brand of paper used in those notebooks is also very good.

JetPens sells these notebooks, and some local dealers also carry the Maruman brand of notebooks. Especially, stores that cater to hipster, barista wannabees!!!! :):)

I always buy at least three notebooks whenever I see them for sale, but I definitely gave up contacting Jay a while ago. Instead I just stalk his site and check repeatedly.

All the suggestions were helpful, but I'm looking for a substitute that has a hardcover. Has anyone found a hardcover TR notebook that isn't painfully expensive?

I too have given up on Paper for Fountain Pens. I love the notebooks, but they are always out when I go to their website.

I will stick with Nanami for now.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Head's up PFFP lovers! There are new journals listed - it's a seconds sale ... yay! I snagged two B5 white and 3 A5 white. <3 I'm so happy, because the discount from the seconds sale covered the cost of shipping to Canada ($40 USD ... ouch!).

https://www.paperforfountainpens.com/collections/all/products/seconds-slightly-imperfect-items

Thank you for the notice! Got a couple journals as well!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Saskia, you should ask for a commission! I just ordered a B5 cream, a B5 white, and an A5 cream.

B5 is my favorite size, hardcover is definitely a bonus.

Thanks for posting this. Took the opportunity and, notwithstanding a private moratorium on buying journals, grabbed two. I think I left one. Could not get four, decided to try two, and when that went OK, left well enough alone & checked out. A5 white, blank. I've used those before and love them.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I got one A5 white and one B5 white. Debated getting 2 B5s, but decided to try out the A5 version. Still working through my previous B5, about halfway through. It's got a lot of pages!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

It is also unlined paper, but I have a block of Tomoe River cream in A3, so they do definitely offer the paper in at least one size larger than A4. These sheets are great for larger sketching and drawing, or if desired I suppose one could fold them in half and make an A4 notebook with them.

https://vanness1938.com/collections/tomoe-river-paper/products/tomoe-river-cream-a3-loose-leaf-50-sheets

I bought a package of Tomoe River A3 in white at the SF Pen Show from Straits Pen, and a friend of mine who does amateur bookbinding helped me make an A4 size bound notebook out of it. Actually, she did 95% of the work, I just helped fold the sections. I've been using it since November 20, and it's great. Except I wish it was lined, I hate using a guide, and all I do is write, I don't sketch or anything like that. So I snagged some Leuchterm 1917 Jottbooks in A4 lined that were on sale (thanks to a tip I saw somewhere on here) that will carry me for quite a while after my Tomoe River homemade journal is full.

I got one A5 white and one B5 white. Debated getting 2 B5s, but decided to try out the A5 version. Still working through my previous B5, about halfway through. It's got a lot of pages!

I find the A5 one is super portable in my bag, perfect for an EDC journal. But I got the B5s because I'm thinking it would make a GREAT stay at home ink notebook, just to track what inks I'm using at a given time.

My first B5 has been a travel journal, which has been with me to a few countries. Otherwise it stays home for some in-between notes.

My journals have arrived! Packed really well, with ample protection. Jay thoughtfully included separate 6mm, 7mm, and 8mm guide sheets as well. Happy customer yet again. Unpredictable sale timing, but I suppose as long as I can catch it once a year, it's sufficient. Those journals have so many pages, it takes a long time to go through them.

I totally agree. It's a pain to keep trying to make sure you get them, but I always manage to get some at least once a year, and then I buy enough to last me at least that long.

I got the B5 for the first time (my EDC journal is the A5, which I love), and I started using it last night as an ink tracking journal. It's perfect, and with the 8 mm guide sheet, I managed to keep it legible and straight.

One day I hope he'll start making 68 gsm notebooks. I'd be thrilled. Until then, I'm STILL thrilled with what I got. :)

I have not tried the thicker version of Tomoe paper, but from what I've read, it's different from 52g version in terms of how inks look on it. The 52g version shows the most sheen, is smoother and less absorbent than 68g version. I've been using these journals only writing on one side of each sheet. Since there are so many very thin sheets, and B5 is a pretty large size, it's been working out well so far. I don't think the 68g version of TR is particularly good at blocking out ghosting from reverse side either, unless you generally use lighter color inks, like more pastel blues and such.

Hippo Notto makes 68gcm TR journals, though the largest size appears to be limited to slim A5.

Edited by Intensity

I've used the 52 gsm and the 68 gsm extensively (I have an etsy shop that sells stationery, so I spend a lot of time writing on/printing on TR paper).

The 68 gsm is MUCH better at blocking out the ghosting - it doesn't do it 100%, but the difference is very impressive by comparison to the 52 gsm. It is also much less easy to crinkle, which I appreciate, especially when making notebooks and pamphlet books. I know people say that it doesn't sheen as much, and perhaps there is a slight difference, but to me, that slight difference is worth it given the ghosting difference. It doesn't make the inks look so much different aside from the ever so slightly reduced sheen tendency.

I use mainly bright and bold colours, and BB nibs, so I really test out the endurance of the paper I use! :P

I thought the Hippo Notos were soft cover, though, right? And I don't love how many sheets their journals have. It makes them a bit more unwieldy than I'd like to lug around daily.

• 8 months later...

The paperforfountainpens.com still says:

A fresh batch of first-quality journals will be available in early April.

Unfortunately, it looks like there has been no update since early March :(