Paper For Fountain Pens. What Happened?

glorfindel

Couple of years ago I was trying new notebooks and bought a "Large Journal" from "Paper for Fountain pens" which is an A4 sized hard-cover Tomo-e River notebook.

I'd like to order more, but the site has everything as "sold out", plus it seems that it hasn't been updated in awhile.

Anyone knows what happened to this brand?

Alternatively, can someone suggest a good replacement? (Criteria: B4 or larger, tomo-e river paper, preferable lined, but any kind will do).

Thank you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• glorfindel

• saskia_madding

• inkstainedruth

Have you tried contacting the fellow who runs the site? There is a means of contacting him available there...

That's disheartening to hear. I bought one of the larger pads (A4 size?) with unlined pages a few years ago at the Commonwealth Pen Show and liked it a lot when I was doing a lot of research for a project and so doing a LOT of writing.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Can anyone recommend a replacement?

I'll re-list the criteria from the original post: B4 or larger, tomo-e river paper, preferably hard cover.

Ive met Jay once at a pen show two years ago, and he was a pleasure to talk to. Bought two of his seconds B5 journals. Have repeatedly tried contacting him since on his website to buy more, unsuccessfully. When I saw Paper For Fountain Pens listed for the recent Commonwealth Pen Show, I was excited. Unfortunately Jay was not there. I asked one of the organizers about it and was told they could not get hold of him either :(

Edit: ah I see youve already linked to my earlier post!

P.P.S.: iOS eating punctuation as always :(

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Here is an excellent alternative source for Tomoe River notebooks of all sorts:

http://www.nanamipaper.com/

They are closed until February 1, 2020. I have been buying from them for several years now and have had a consistently excellent experience.

I have one of their smaller Café notebooks, but haven't tried it yet. I'd really like to have one with unlined pages, though. A lot of their offerings were out of stock, last time I checked. And they're not exactly super cheap, either....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sorry -- dreaded double post when the site seemed to be hanging just now....

Edited by inkstainedruth

The main issue is that Jay makes B5 size journals, but Nanami are A5 or smaller. A5 is great, but B5 fills a niche too. My travel journal is a B5 size from Jay—I like having larger size pages for travel impressions, page per day sort of thing, single-sided (in part because of translucency).

They are closed until February 1, 2020. I have been buying from them for several years now and have had a consistently excellent experience.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

An A4 notebook with Tomoe River paper would be nice. I have A4 Clairefontain notebooks, but they are to heavy to carry sometimes.

The main issue is that Jay makes B5 size journals, but Nanami are A5 or smaller. A5 is great, but B5 fills a niche too.

My last purchase from Jay was in June of last year; three B5 journals in cream. My prior journal was a Nanami Writer. The B5 size is unique in the Tomoe River category and the hardcover design is more durable than the Nanami.

I believe that Jay handles Paper For Fountain Pens as a nice side gig where he can profitable provide something unique in the market on his schedule. He probably places a few large orders per year and his regular customers snatch them up when they are in stock.

I checked the site regularly until the B5 journals showed as in stock and then ordered three. Im satisfied overall.

Ideally, Id like to have the faint lines of the Namami Writer in the PFFP B5 model but a guide sheet works well enough.

Edited by Trekker

Yup Ive made some guide sheets for mine as well, out of thick card stock. I like the end result unlined, in combination with brown inks for vintage writing look. I also prefer the old style hardcover binding of these journals to Nanamis. Was really looking forward to stocking up on Seconds at the pen show, since those were discounted at 50% and an incredibly good deal. But now that I know theres no guarantee to find Jay at a pen show, Ill keep an eye on his website restocking.

PS: sorry for the omitted punctuation with iOS.

Edited by Intensity

I went over to Jet Pens and entered "Tomo River" into their search window and it returned 118 hits....96 just for A4 size

I already use Nanami. Unfortunately, they don't have anything larger than A5.

Or at least I couldn't find anything, so if you could give me a link to something larger than that, I'd appreciate it.

Ideally, Id like to have the faint lines of the Namami Writer in the PFFP B5 model but a guide sheet works well enough.

Yes! The PFFP B5 (or is it A4?) would be perfect if it was lined... I too use the lined paper, but it always moves under the page, so I constantly find myself correcting it, which is annoying.

I made a guide sheet using relatively thick - but not too thick - sketching art paper which I cut exactly to B5 page size of those journals. It can be aligned and doesnt slide around, held a bit by the bent pages at the crease. Perhaps you can try something like that too if you have any similar paper on hand. Ive made the lines in photoshop, but otherwise could have drawn them by hand, using thick black lines.

P.S.: punctuation:(

Edited by Intensity

I'll re-list the criteria from the original post: B4 or larger, tomo-e river paper, preferably hard cover.

I don't recall ever seeing any retail Tomoe River paper product that is B4 (250mm x 353mm) or larger in surface area. A B4 page has 41.5% more surface area than an A4 page. Are you sure you didn't mean "B5 or larger"?

Yes! The PFFP B5 (or is it A4?) would be perfect if it was lined...

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It is also unlined paper, but I have a block of Tomoe River cream in A3, so they do definitely offer the paper in at least one size larger than A4. These sheets are great for larger sketching and drawing, or if desired I suppose one could fold them in half and make an A4 notebook with them.

https://vanness1938.com/collections/tomoe-river-paper/products/tomoe-river-cream-a3-loose-leaf-50-sheets

Edited by N1003U