First Attempt On Pen Turning, A Stipula Etruria Lookalike

Hardy08

I was frustrated on a pen I bought: a Stipula Etruria Gallicana in Oronero color with a stiflexnib.

This pen was gorgeous at first sight, but some drawbacks refrained me from using it daily:

-It could only hold a small amount of ink: it is a CC filler.

-The feed was a disaster as it was not suitable for a flex nib like the stiflex nib.

-The pen was made of acrylic and i love the warm feeling of ebonite.

After months of drawing plans and attempting on making parts for the pen I finally succeeded!

This pen is made from ebonite rods from Nikko ebonite in ripple orange.

The filling system is a Vac-Fill, a copy of the Wahl-Eversharp Doric second generation filling system.

The cap doesn't post.

The clip is sculpted from solid 316L stainless steel.

Cap jewel and end barrel jewel are made of a gem grade rhodolite garnet embedded in 316L stainless steel.

The cap ring is made of a solid rod of 316L stainless steel, engraved by hand with carbide tipped burr, with an artificially rusted finish.

The nib is an original 14k Stiflex nig from Globus (Stipula) and is quite a wet noodle.

The feed is in hard rubber from a destroyed Omas 360.

Here are the pictures, it is now my daily writer!

post-17313-0-63899700-1579614350_thumb.jpg

post-17313-0-98535000-1579614390_thumb.jpg

fpn_1579614616__dsc_0476.jpg

fpn_1579615749__all_in.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hardy08

• como

• PAKMAN

• ArchiMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First attempt??? Incredible! What a beauty! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Wow!

+1 for what PAKMAN said.......

Can't wait to see what your second pen looks like..........

Mark

PS. The photo of the end of the cap makes me think of HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey.....very cool, but a bit scary...............

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thank you PAKMAN !

To get to this result I had to use several rods...

Thank you Archimark !

About HAL:

For now we are in good terms with the pen.

He still obeys and doesn't threaten me of blotting or anything else... I try to be kind with him lol

Wonderful job, it might be your first attempt at Etturia but Im certain you have great experience and skill at pen turning.

The Etruria is my favourite pen shape!

Oh wow, that is spectacular! I love the shape of the body and how smoothly it mates to the grip, I'll bet it's very comfortable in the hand! It's a nice ebonite, you've done a great job on the barrel band, the faceted clip is very unique, and the gems are a nice touch. And vac filler too! Very impressive!

BTW is it my imagination or is the cap material slightly different from the body material? It could be a coincidence or just natural variation from the patterning, but it looks a little to my eyes like the cap (and maybe the section) are slightly more reddish than the body?

Yes the cap is from a different eonite rod, slightly darker from the one i used on the Barrel...

Thank you for your comments !!

Edited by Hardy08

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice first attempt, well done!! May I ask if/where you could buy a whole unit of vac-fill system? I am interested for possible repair parts. Thank you.

Hi Como !

I don't know if preassembled vacfill units ate available...

I built it myself, like the eversharp doric second generation were made. It is rather simple but it needs fine ajustment which can be tricky. I posted elsewhere in repair forums how the doric second generation vac fill could be restored. Maybe it could help. All you need is a 1mm rubber sheet, a punch of the desired diameter for the piston gasket, high quality cork (the ones used for music instruments).

Hope it helps

Dear Hardy08, this is very helpful and quite exciting! Thank you! I had a vintage Onoto plunger-filler and looked into restoration, a couple of notches over the novice stuff, not so easy :D . But it's a great filling system. Nice work you've done. :thumbup:

Hi Como !
I don't know if preassembled vacfill units ate available...
I built it myself, like the eversharp doric second generation were made. It is rather simple but it needs fine ajustment which can be tricky. I posted elsewhere in repair forums how the doric second generation vac fill could be restored. Maybe it could help. All you need is a 1mm rubber sheet, a punch of the desired diameter for the piston gasket, high quality cork (the ones used for music instruments).
Hope it helps